PDA

View Full Version : 400, 450, 525...?

Chipster
17th January 2006, 18:20
As if I didn't think I'd done enough background work into finally selecting KTM as the preferred bike, I went on to decide that to haul around my 98kg would require a decent size motor and plenty of grunt, enough to not stress the bike on the occasional long run. So that was it, it had to be 450 or a 525. NOW, someone has thrown the 400 into the mix as a good alternative. Any thoughts from you KTM riders in KB land??

FlangMasterJ
17th January 2006, 22:00
Well the 450 and 525 weigh vitually the same but the 525 has alot more torque. If you're planning on doing some fairly long distances you would want more cubes so the 525 would be the pick.

I am a little wary of the KTM's at the moment. I rode my friends 540SMR (supermoto) at Manfiel on the 13th and it went BANG! But take into account the amount of stress on the internals when going flat out on tarmac compared to the occasional scream in the bush. I havn't really heard of any KTM's blowing up when purely used offroad. They are a proven offroad performer so which ever one you choose you'll be impressed with.

Hope that helps :)

clint640
18th January 2006, 11:54
Well FWIW if you're looking at the used market I did hear a while back that the 400's were way more reliable than the 450's.
Depends a lot on your skill level & what you're gunna do with it, but for a few longer hauls the 525 would definitely be better.

Cheers
Clint

Oscar
18th January 2006, 12:58
Mainly off-road: 400 or 520/525EXC.
Adventure riding: LC4 640

Henk
18th January 2006, 17:14
Depends on how good you are, how fit you are and what you want to do with it.
Unless you are good and very fit I'd forget the 525, it will just beat you to a pulp.
400 vs 450 is a bit harder. the motors are very different to ride as the 400 is a shorter stroke than the 450 as well as having less power. I prefer the 400 but have mates who prefer the 450, comes down to personal preference really and the same skill / fitness issues will apply as with the 525 but to a lesser degree.
I've probably confused the issue rather than clearing it up.
Whichever one of the two you buy you won't be able to ride it to it's limits unless you are capable of taking expert enduro wins in your first season on the bike, something I find quite unlikely but I could be wrong. Either one will be a great bike that you'll enjoy.