PDA

View Full Version : New user! Could do with some help!

groove
18th January 2006, 03:44
Hello, thought id say hi first before asking questions :apint:

First of all im from England :eek5: So hello from here!

Secondly, i ride a 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250c. Unfortunatly there has been some problems...Then i came off :Oops:

Ill start my story here (Most of this info was posted on a differnt forum, but im not sure on rules so wont post direct links unless asked) :

Where it started:

started my bike this morning, eventually and it ran fine for the first km or so.

go around a roundabout and suddenly it doesnt like to rev. i had to keep a low gear and keep it above 10k jus to keep accelerating to 40mph...

Everytime the bike went low revs, ie 3k revs it would cut out. It started again no problem but persisted in doing it.

Start my bike up after lesson (when i got to college) and it did, eventually but will only rev to 2,000 revs (the first notch on the rev counter) this is with throttle fully open! if i let go of the throttle it would just cut out again.

So anyone know any possible reasons for this? theres plently of petrol etc lol.

was working fine yesterday

When i went to have another look at it, the bike refused to start at all.:Pokey:

More detail and my route:

after the bike started at 10.55am after a struggle for a couple minutes to get it started i revd the engine a bit in an atempt to warm it up. Pulled away and it felt a little slugish but i jus put this down to being cold (didnt have its cover on last night )

Got to the top of the road, a T junction. Stoped fine, idle'd fine. Pulled away to the right still okie dokie and took it to about 12k revs in 1st, 2nd gears and to about 10k in 3rd before sitting around 6k in forth coming to the first round about.

Turn off first exit still OK, took it to about 14k revs through most gears and end up somwhere around 80mph down the bypass. Come to the roundabout everything went tits up. Change down as usual nothing eventful happened. start going round the roundabout to the last exit and it starts struggling to rev. I know ive got plenty of petrol so make sure im in the right gear and continue, just about.

Come to a set of road works, pull clutch in and bike cuts out at 2k revs or so. "oh fuck". Bike starts up with a lovly roar and away i go. Same thing happens once or twice more and again jus parking the bike up

It ended up going to a garage to get fixed/see whats wrong with it:

This was the work done:

Dismantle carbs and clean (he showed me the shit that came out of them after just draining them )
cleaned fuel line and tap.
new spark plugs
charge battery
oil change (had petrol in it :crazy:)

Starts up fine, but its running like shit. Basically it has to idle higher or somthing for a few miles so idleing at 2k rpm. He said i could change it back to normal tomorrow or somthing.

But the thing is it really is a struggle to go fast. Takes a year to get to 60 as it revs sooooo slowly and no more than about 11k rpm.

Is this just because of the work done and would sort it self out or was the timing not set right??

The morning after:

went out there just now to find some rather not nice looking white stuff under my bike, didnt paticuly smell of anything. started her up to see if she would, reved it a few times to see if she could hold herself at 2k revs, nope.

Look under her again and theres what seems to be oil dripping

Then after all that, riding the bike up the road to get a different type of oil i came off.

Basically highsided it at a junction. All plastics need replacing or repaired and resprayed. Also this casing (see picture) has a rather large hole in it. Can that be repaired as i would like to see how the eninge runs before deciding what to do (Will get some other opinions in person)

is there any place out in Austraila that sells fairings? Cant find any in the UK, apart from the front on eBay.

Also whats your opinions on what could be wrong with the engine? You think it would need a top end rebuild? or would it be better replacing the engine (Would need to find a new one though...:crazy:

Well, cheers for any help or input and sorry about the really long post!:crazy:

Groove.

Posh Tourer :P
18th January 2006, 07:38
I dont quite understand the problems here. You said the original oil had petrol in it?? That makes no sense as there is almost no way that could happen. Also, what sort of white stuff was it on the ground?? Was it crystalline but very soft?? If so, it could well be evaporating petrol, which would mean a serious leak in your petrol tank. If you have crap in your carbs, your petrol tank may be very rusty, and leaking badly. So your revving probs may be due to not much fuel due to a leak somewhere. The only way petrol gets into the oil could perhaps be through a crankcase breather hole.

As for oil leaking, if this is the case, you may have a case against the garage if that oil caused you to lose traction on the roundabout. You havent said anything about how much oil was leaking, but there shouldnt have been any after getting an oil change done. If the leaking stuff was petrol, have a good look at your tank, and inspect for leaks (sounds like it ought to be done anyway)?? Given the temp in England at the mo, it is unlikely that petrol would be dripping from the bottom, as it would have evaporated by the time it got there.....

Sketchy_Racer
18th January 2006, 09:36
Bugger dude thats gotta suck,

there is a place here that does fairings www.justfairings.co.nz or . com or something.

as PT said, the reason you probably highsided is because of teh oil on your back tyre.

ah well i wish i could help

Cheers, Glenn

groove
18th January 2006, 13:01
The oil leak wasnt there when i left the garage. After going to the petrol station and pressing the start button the was a 'pop' followed by smoke coming from under the tank, it started on the button after no problem (needed to get home) Didnt notice any oil leaks (it was at night and was dark at this time, wasnt exactly checking).

After going out in the morning the white stuff was there (only showed that day?) it was soft to touch but looked reasonably thick, hard to explain. After seeing if the bike would run, it did but after about 20 seconds or so the oil came, was pretty fast coming. Not a slow leak.

This is the best i could describe it from nearly 2 months ago (was when it happened)

Looks like i might jus get rid of it, loan some money off my parents as i need a bike soon for transport! Might be looking at some dealers this week:first:

sunhuntin
23rd January 2006, 21:58
my old gn250 was doing the what sounds the same as yours....would struggle to rev at times and cut out completely when stopping/slowing down. when she struggled, id just pull the choke out slightly, not entirely though. that seemed the blow whatever what blocking whatever clear and allow her to run clear again. also, the inside of the tank was rusty, so that was likely part the problem. never noticed any oil leaks, and a service of the bike didnt pick anything up either. [was doing both before and after the service.] and when she cut out, id pull the choke right out and start her up, then keep the revs up then push the choke in once it was safe to do so. i also started using my foot on the brake, and keeping my hand free to hold the revs up a little so stop that from happening. happened mostly at nights after work [1am, and learner riders arent allowed out after 10pm! LOL]

in the end, that was all fixed by a car running a stop sign and bringing both me and pup to a sudden stop. pup now lives on a farm, and scuffy is slowly learning the ropes, lol.

best of luck getting your bike up and running, or a new bike entirely!

KLOWN
24th January 2006, 01:22
My friend has a zxr250 and is having also identical problems. It's in the garage at the mo, I can tell youo what the mechanic said after the biike is all fixed up. Where is the oil leaking from? On my mates bike it was where the exhaust meets the engine.

Posh Tourer :P
24th January 2006, 08:21
Oil might leak from near the header pipes, but not out of them. Also if you can fix the problem by pulling the choke, you are running the bike too lean - adjust the float levels in the carburettor.