PDA

View Full Version : Hi

celticyankee
20th March 2004, 07:42
Recently found this site and have lurked for a couple days....great site

I'm new to NZ (originally from New Hampshire, USA) came to this amazing country for a riding holiday as I had dreamed for many years of riding South Island after seeing a doco on the place.

Fell in love with the country and a kiwi guy so shipped my bikes and few odds & ends and here I am.

I had 14 years and approximately 150,000 miles (short riding season there) riding in the USA but have been humbled riding here. Guess here I'm in the "newie" category as it is completely different than any riding I've ever done.......very humbling.......

I ride an older HD that I built and modified myself over the years and also have a couple older Triumphs that need a "bit" of work before they're ready for the road here.

Haven't had much luck finding others to ride with so I ride mostly on me own. Hope that changes soon, I am getting a wee bit tired of the never ending feeling of being lost.

Hope that's enough for an intro.....

Safe Journeys to you

Ms Piggy
20th March 2004, 08:22
Welcome! You've come to right place if you are on the hunt for riding buddies or just to meet a great bunch of people :2thumbsup

So what is it about N.Z roads?

celticyankee
20th March 2004, 09:36
So what is it about N.Z roads?

Hi Celtic Sea Lilly!

Thanks for the welcome.

What is is about NZ roads? Hmm, where do I begin? Driving on the left would be a biggie. Every natural reaction I have on a bike is wrong. I am getting better with each K traveled, but it's not a "natural" thing to me yet.

Also the speed travelled on the roads. Perhaps because what is called a "highway" here to me seems more like a country back road and it doesn't seem right to travel hiway speeds on back roads (setting myself up for some HD bashing perhaps?)

The narrowness of most roads and the sharp twisties are new to me as well. Ragaln, Whangamata, some other places I've been that I can't properly pronounce let alone spell. I lived in a beautiful mountain area in the states, but the twisties were nothing compared to here.

This is also the first time in my life I've ever worn a full face helmet. That has been a HUGE change for me. Where I'm from helmets are not required, I wore only a small "beenie" and the full helmet does take some getting used to. (hmmm, more bashing perhaps?)

I guess it all sounds very trivial, but to me they are changes that have impacted my riding confidence.

My bike was set up for riding stateside which isn't actually condusive to here, that's why I'm working on the Triumphs. I'm interested to see if a bike set up "properly" for this riding may work best.

But I WILL overcome! Even if I forever ride solo here, I'm determined to see as much as this country as possible from 2 wheels.

Ms Piggy
20th March 2004, 09:58
I guess it all sounds very trivial, but to me they are changes that have impacted my riding confidence.

Those are BIG differences! :yes: I'm sure you'll grow to love it and I guess it will also make you a more accomplished rider...which is what I hope to work on more once I get this annoying cast off my arm!

Go for it! :2thumbsup

Zed
20th March 2004, 10:24
Welcome fellow rider to NZ & Kiwibiker!

Keep an eye out in the Meeting and Events forum for future get togethers/rides, etc.

Hope the transition to NZ roads goes smooth for ya. :msn-wink:

Zed

Motu
20th March 2004, 13:37
Wellcome,you'll adapt - just get out there,do a little at a time,at your own pace and things will click.

So,what are the Triumphs,and can we see a piccy of the HD? The Triumph Owners Club are having a ride next saturday,from Raglan to Waihi,that's in your area - come along,it's going to be a slow speed ride because they are cateering for older bikes on this one....watch out for some fucking wanker on a big red Honda dirtbike cutting them all up at the wrong time wrong place - just ignore him,everyone else does.

celticyankee
20th March 2004, 19:30
Thanks for the welcome Zed and I'll be sure to keep me eye on the meets forum.

Safe Journeys to you

celticyankee
20th March 2004, 19:52
Wellcome,you'll adapt - just get out there,do a little at a time,at your own pace and things will click.

So,what are the Triumphs,and can we see a piccy of the HD? The Triumph Owners Club are having a ride next saturday,from Raglan to Waihi,that's in your area - come along,it's going to be a slow speed ride because they are cateering for older bikes on this one....watch out for some fucking wanker on a big red Honda dirtbike cutting them all up at the wrong time wrong place - just ignore him,everyone else does.

Hi Motu

Thanks for the welcome and the ride info. I've been asking around about that ride since I heard about it at the Cambridge Toy Run, but no one knew exact date. Bummer I can't make it that day as it sounds like a great ride and one I was very keen to go on.

The Triumphs we brought back from the states are a 1973 Daytona and a 1979 Special.

Got both Triumphs for amazingly short money stateside. Husband would say that's because Yanks don't appreciate "quality" machines :shit:

Pic of HD will come on Monday when I return to computer which has my pictures stored on it.

wari
20th March 2004, 21:51
*John Wayne voice* Howdy pardna ... :spudwave:

curious george
21st March 2004, 07:02
Hi, happy riding.
Just wondering about your bikes; you brought them with you, yeah?
Are they left or right hand drive? :innocent:

Marknz
21st March 2004, 07:55
Greetings and welcome to NZ and our roads.

And you might like to check out the Parapara "highway" some time on one of your travels... that'll put a smile on ya face :cool:

celticyankee
22nd March 2004, 13:39
So,what are the Triumphs,and can we see a piccy of the HD?

OK, couldn't figure out how to attach image to this post, but I think I've attached pic to my profile.

Pic is of my bike I call Celtic Thunder. Been a damn good bike to me over the years and was the first/only bike I ever built from parts.

Safe journeys to ya

celticyankee
22nd March 2004, 13:41
Hi, happy riding.
Just wondering about your bikes; you brought them with you, yeah?
Are they left or right hand drive? :innocent:

HD = left hand drive :niceone:
Triumphs = right hand drive :msn-wink:

celticyankee
22nd March 2004, 13:42
Greetings and welcome to NZ and our roads.

And you might like to check out the Parapara "highway" some time on one of your travels... that'll put a smile on ya face :cool:

Thanks Mark.......I'll try to find out where the highway is and check it out....

Safe Journeys to you

Slim
22nd March 2004, 14:41
Thanks Mark.......I'll try to find out where the highway is and check it out....
Welcome. :)

The "Parapara's" are not a highway :laugh: but a nice bunch of approx 50km's of twisties (that get less & less twisty with each year & more road work :( ) on the main road from the Waikato into Wanganui, otherwise known as State Highway 4. The section commonly known as "The Parapara's" is at the Wanganui end and starts somewhere not far south of Raetihi.

http://mapserver.wises.co.nz/C7AD.png

Motu
22nd March 2004, 15:42
73 Daytona - choice little bike...I always prefered the 500 twins to the 650s,they were really a fresh design for the unit 500s,not a carry over like the 650 twins.Building your own bike outa bits shows an above normal mechanical aptitude and an ability to think out of the square - sometimes parts don't fit eh? You know every nut and bolt of your bike,what every little thing is doing - I feel sorry for those that don't.

celticyankee
23rd March 2004, 11:15
Thanks for that Slim! No wonder my husband laughed so hard when I asked where that highway was.

Safe Journeys to you

celticyankee
23rd March 2004, 11:46
73 Daytona - choice little bike...Building your own bike outa bits shows an above normal mechanical aptitude and an ability to think out of the square - sometimes parts don't fit eh? You know every nut and bolt of your bike,what every little thing is doing - I feel sorry for those that don't.

In regards to the Daytona, I purchased it for my husband when I was stateside packing to come back to NZ as he always talked of racing a classic at Pukekohe (spelling?) and he's a HUGE Triumph fan.

above normal mechanical aptitude? hmmm, nice thought, but in honestly it was more a desperate need to ride and I wasn't rich enough to have someone else do it. Most of the time I need a manual/reference book, etc to read along and god knows I'm far from quick at the work.

As far as not all parts fitting properly........UGH! I had an absolute nightmare with the front end I "thought" was a good idea for my bike. I still regret that decision today, but eventually it worked.

Ya didn't mention the spare parts at the end of the project.........surely everyone had heaps of "extra parts" when finshed...right? :shit:

But with that said, I've never had to trailer my bike from a breakdown on the side of the road, which is always good :ride:

Safe Journeys to ya