PDA

View Full Version : Sugilite Race Report - Taupo PMCC RD 15th Jan F1 class

sugilite
18th January 2006, 20:28
Weekend before last, I'd gone to AK to pick up the bike from Richard (Dickytoo) He has had the bike for the last 4 years as he has done all the work on it. He is off to Australia today for 2 years work. So It was the big handover of his "precious" to my safe keeping! :devil2:
He has just finished installing a muzzy 998 kit into it, replacing the 8 year old standard pistons!
He has done an awesome job on the motor and it is running rock solid.

I changed the gearing and adjusted the jetting to get it ready for Taupo and that was it.
The bike (a 1998 Kawasaki ZX9R) runs a total loss system, so no magic button! I manged to get it bump started on my own for both practice and the races, so that was cool. (I'd had my doubts on starting a high comp 998cc motor on my own lol)

To the track
The new sweeper reminds me of turn one at invercagill, just a tighter radius. It was hyper slippery off the racing line. It caught out Bruce Telford which was a shame, cuz he's been in hot form of late.
This was my second go at the revised corner at the end of the back straight, I like it, the violent, just throw her in method pays of on this style of corner!

Race 1 - Got a OK start, into 4th, worked my way to 3rd and stayed there. I got a bit of heat from 4th place on the last lap and did just enough to stay in font. It appears my extensive fitness regime of sitting on my arse behind a computer screen has not paid off as I'd hoped!

Race 2 - Got a better start, holshotted into the 1st corner, just! Played traveling roadblock for 2 laps before getting passed by 2 others. Held third to the finish line no probs. arms now feel like soft pasta.

Race 3 - Got a crap start, ended up in 4th, stayed there, arms now down graded to soggy vermicelli!
My race finishes have motivated me to excercise, so out come the kx500 motocross bike and fitness gear!

I reckon the Italian handbags at dawn Ducati duo were lucky it was not a slightly higher profile meeting, you would be banned guys.

I had a great day, thanks to the PMCC for putting a good day on for us.
I met a heap of people form KB over the Weekend.
I made a cameo appearance at Manfield and met Mr Trash and Mr Poos.
Then the next day at Taupo I met Frosty, Two Smoker and a few others. All bloody good sorts!

Thats my first race report and many thanks for making me feel welcome to KB guys!:ride:

Sparky Bills
18th January 2006, 20:46
Nice report mate!
Will see ya round the tracks sometime.

k14
19th January 2006, 07:46
I reckon the Italian handbags at dawn Ducati duo were lucky it was not a slightly higher profile meeting, you would be banned guys.
Would you care to elaborate? Sounds interesting...

Good writeup, good to see you enjoyed it and did pretty well considering your bikes age etc. Good luck for next time.

emaN
19th January 2006, 10:42
sounds like ya had fun!
thanks for 'sharing'...and good luck 'babysitting' Richard's bike!

FROSTY
19th January 2006, 18:41
Good onya dude --Goot to meet ya

Two Smoker
19th January 2006, 21:02
Great to meet you suglite :niceone: and top effort on the 3rd's and 4th :niceone: See you at the next round :niceone:

sugilite
20th January 2006, 13:31
Would you care to elaborate? Sounds interesting...

Good writeup, good to see you enjoyed it and did pretty well considering your bikes age etc. Good luck for next time.

Heyya, I'm no leading authority on the in's and out's of the argument, so can only comment on what I saw....
I heard this loud voice and thought, hmm, not heard them on the PA sys before! I turned around and it was actually a Ducati Rider screaming at another. Both bikes looked to be damaged. The "yeller" had his helmet off and was frothing about a yellow flag n other choice words. The one with his helmet on was appearing to try and explain and apologise, but the other guy was just getting more and more agro. The other guy took his helmet off and mr agro just started punching the shit out of him, so they both started going hammer and tongs until myself and a few other riders separated them.

I think it was two smoker that pointed out to them that kids were around and to take it to the marshalls, hear hear me says.

I'm not sure that all riders understand how awesome our scene is, people that chat and talk to each other, the comrade involved, riders helping out fellow competitors and such. Have they seen how fucken stale and boring the car types are at their meetings?
Anyways, rant over....

Thanks for the msg's Two Smoker and Frosty, see you guys at the next one! I'm already in training, yep, dusted off the old 10 speed I got for $50 from the sallies family store (green if course) and took it for a spin!

trev
20th January 2006, 16:30
What is your bike number - I may have some photos of you

sugilite
20th January 2006, 16:45
Heyya Trev, sounds cool.
red/white/black leathers, blueish helmet (there are 2 kawasaki's running 73)
Thanks!

trev
20th January 2006, 20:35
hope these are you

dickytoo
21st January 2006, 18:15
sounds like ya had fun!
thanks for 'sharing'...and good luck 'babysitting' Richard's bike!

He better! He's on strict orders to keep her clean or i'll have to do a quick trip back to enzed to flay him alive!

any of you guys please feel free to keep me informed if you think he's not applying enough polish or ill treating my baby in any way!

good results, anthony. now get on your push bike and stop being such a soft cock!

sugilite
24th January 2006, 10:18
hope these are you
Yep they are, thanks for that, awesome!

sugilite
24th January 2006, 10:25
He better! He's on strict orders to keep her clean or i'll have to do a quick trip back to enzed to flay him alive!

any of you guys please feel free to keep me informed if you think he's not applying enough polish or ill treating my baby in any way!

good results, anthony. now get on your push bike and stop being such a soft cock!
I can't, I'm to busy polishing the bike!