PDA

View Full Version : What to learn first Newbie advice wanted

Roki_nz
18th January 2006, 20:41
Hey just started riding and I am not wanting to drop it again or crash at all. So I was wondering what skills would you guys recommend on concentrate on first also two quick questions any tips on actually moving the bike when its stopped i.e moving it from the garage to the street, reposition etc had a lot of fun trying to get it to face the right way on the drive today god its heavy (or I am just weak) so is there some magic way of doing it any advice cheers and also just on how to hold the handle bars having some troubles with going to break and opening the throttle not such a problem at the moment since I am pretty good with engine breaking but I do not want to have my bike lurch up from under me and drop it again

Cheers for any general advice you dudes can give (and yes will be doing all the handling course once I get a bit more confident my self)

madboy
18th January 2006, 20:50
Find a lonely road and ride it. Slowly. Then come on the newbie ride, posted somewhere here, on the 29th.

If moving the bike, hold it on the LH side and lean it toward you. Never the other way. Leaning against a bike will hold it up easily, but a bike leaning away from you? That requires a lot of strength and blimmin good balance! If necessary, lean right into it so it's against you. And cover the front brake.

Sparky Bills
18th January 2006, 20:50
If your pushing the bike around.. ALWAYS lean it into you. You should be able to hold the weight up that way.
Dont b in any rush either, just take your time and think about what your doing. (that goes for when your riding too):niceone:

Gremlin
18th January 2006, 20:52
For moving the bike, I'm quite tall and my bike realistically weighs about 220. Learn throttle control and just sit on the bike, using it to move it forwards very slowly (keeping your feet down, walking), and for backing up, just push backwards (where your height comes in).

Practice and become aware of the effect of using the front brake in a corner. It will usually make the bike stand up, and you go straight (what you don't want in a corner).

Practice heaving braking as well, you need to know how much space you need in an emergency. Also, countersteering (pushing on the right bar, and the bike moving right) - essential in emergency avoidance

Mr. Peanut
18th January 2006, 20:55
T move your bike make sure you dont tip it over too far try and keep it nice and balanced that way you won't feel the weight so much. Try to ride with your fingers off the brakes youll be smoother that way, and get yourself sorted befor the corner. The idea is to come into the corner at the right speed and keep to that speed, don't brake or accelerate until you come out of the corner.

The correct way to hold the bars?? :spudwow:

:ride: - LIke this?!

Roki_nz
18th January 2006, 20:59
Cheers will try all of that. At the moment when I break usually I leave my thumb on the handle bar and the rest of my finger on the break is there anther way to do this its just how I used to break with a push bike but back they it was just my feet making the power not my hand

2much
18th January 2006, 21:09
Your 250 weighs 165kg dry, that's about the same as a 600 and only 3kg less than my 1000, so yeah, it is fucken heavy. Just be patient and you'll get used to it.
When riding always cover the brake lever with a finger or two, try the inside two, outside two, whatever works for you. This way you'll naturally roll your hand forward to squeeze the lever and close the throttle at the same time. Be patient, it'll come.
ALWAYS LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO CAUSE YOU WILL GO WHERE YOU ARE LOOKING. Patience...
Expect everyone else on the road to be stupid and to do something dumb.
Take your time, don't rush things. Practice, practice, practice,did I mention be patient?

Oh yeah, welcome to KB btw.

Drum
18th January 2006, 21:14
Ridesafe (in Wellers) do an introductory course in the morning before the basic handling skills course in the arvo (its run on a Saturday). If you do both courses you will have your BHS certificate that very afternoon, and be confident enough to start learning to ride on the road (of course you need your learner license to do this legally).

Unless you have a friend to teach you in person (and some may recommend against this too) this is a good way to start.

Roki_nz
18th January 2006, 21:15
you serious your 1000 only 3 kgs more than mine shit and i was worrying how i was going to handel the weight of somthing bigger but yeah your right it is very heavy at least i will get strong arms after a while

Drum
18th January 2006, 21:16
My mistake. Its "Roadsafe"

http://www.roadsafe.co.nz/

Roki_nz
18th January 2006, 21:22
Yeah will be going with them mainly due to the fact for the course where you don’t have to sit the practical test but also I want to learn how to ride so I keep on living. But before that I am just getting confident on my bike its easier to learn if you are relaxed

gman
18th January 2006, 21:24
practice in some quiet streets.and prectice practice practice.youl get the hang of it.eventually.hell weve all been there.

Roki_nz
18th January 2006, 21:26
yeah been doing that too or rather will be when the wind dies down a bit here in welly when i was on it this afternoon got a little worryed with wind whats the best way to deal with it, about the only thing i tried was to just relax a little and not stress

boomer
18th January 2006, 21:27
Practice and become aware of the effect of using the front brake in a corner. It will usually make the bike stand up, and you go straight (what you don't want in a corner).

I'd suggest staying off the front brake in a corner... Slow in fast out!

Drum
18th January 2006, 21:37
Yeah will be going with them mainly due to the fact for the course where you don’t have to sit the practical test ..........

If youre talking about the CBTA course, I think you have missed out. Last I heard, they had ended the trial.

Beno
18th January 2006, 22:33
One thing thats helped my learning is to ride every day for a while then take a couple of days off, when you get back on your bike,... you have consolidated your skills and things feel more fluid on the bike and you can try a few more things...just think about one skill at a time....

Wasp
18th January 2006, 23:00
yeah been doing that too or rather will be when the wind dies down a bit here in welly when i was on it this afternoon got a little worryed with wind whats the best way to deal with it, about the only thing i tried was to just relax a little and not stress

hehe the wind today was better than expected, I was hoping to be able to hoon over Melling bridge so I could get off it quicker but alas traffic. :( It was less windier than it looked i guess (theres a flag opposite work).

I got my bike mid october last year and a week later I was riding it every day to work. Ive had two minor crashes (gravel in petone and rear ended a car on the esplanade) but I was still back on the bike straight away (just a little more cautious for awhile thats all).

There are rides every Thursday nights (trtnr) meeting at the bottom of Maungaraki (spelling?) Hill (in the small carpark) and there is also the newbie ride on the 29th, I suggest attending both!

Oh yea and if you need any help just ask, some one will come!

cheers, Doug

loosebruce
19th January 2006, 00:50
Hey just started riding and I am not wanting to drop it again or crash at all. So I was wondering what skills would you guys recommend on concentrate on first

Wheelies!!!!

Roki_nz
19th January 2006, 20:28
Wheelies!!!!

if only....

Roki_nz
19th January 2006, 20:32
If youre talking about the CBTA course, I think you have missed out. Last I heard, they had ended the trial.

yeah i have heard that too road safe is still has it on there site but may have not taken it off yet so i guess i will find out when i call them, took the bike out this after noon only problem i had was getting used to breaking and keeping throttel off and 1st gear the lovly gsx loves the lurch in it not so fun when you are turning droped the bike again but was not as bad as the first time manged to make it go down softly so no scratchs hey any recommendations on which insurance company to go for and you guys know if state does motor cycle insurance for learners ?

merv
19th January 2006, 20:36
Moving the bike around on the drive that you asked about at the beginning, everyone has said lean the bike towards you and that is right, but I'd add that when I move a bike forward I usually find that's when you can just hang on to both handlebars and push it and you can use the front brake as necessary. Moving it backwards though (and looking where you are going) its easier I reckon with left hand on the left handlebar and right hand hanging on to a grab bar or similar at the back of the bike. With the VFR it has the pillion handgrab to hang on to, with the dirt bikes that don't have handgrips I grab the pack rack frame and use that. Does that help you at all?

If you are having trouble lurching in 1st gear you need to practice pulling the clutch in a bit more often and slipping the clutch just to give you enough movement e.g. if you are trying to turn tight in a carpark or something sometimes it is smoother just to pull the clutch in and let the bike drift around on its own momentum and if it almost stops just let the clutch out a little bit using the throttle as necessary. It all takes practice but you'll get there and overcome the dropping of the bike you are doing.

As for State Insurance if you haven't had a bad record I'm sure they'll insure a nOOby but the price might be high with a high excess and I reckon you'll find most companies are the same.

Roki_nz
19th January 2006, 20:41
yeah a little have not tryed back wards that much yet although i have found if i just want to strigten it up a bit that grabing the pillion hand grip and puting it up right and lifting works

yungatart
19th January 2006, 20:47
yeah i have heard that too road safe is still has it on there site but may have not taken it off yet so i guess i will find out when i call them, took the bike out this after noon only problem i had was getting used to breaking and keeping throttel off and 1st gear the lovly gsx loves the lurch in it not so fun when you are turning droped the bike again but was not as bad as the first time manged to make it go down softly so no scratchs hey any recommendations on which insurance company to go for and you guys know if state does motor cycle insurance for learners ?
We tried to get insurance thru State ( they have all our other insurance) for hXc and his "new" Spada on the weekend. There is no way that they would cover him at all. He is not yet 15, so doesn't even have his Learners, but they wouldn't cover him even after his birthday.My bike is covered by them, tho- but then I am "somewhat" older...( still on Learners tho and he is a better AND more experienced rider. Just don't tell him I said so...

merv
19th January 2006, 20:53
OK so I'm an old dude and obviously out of touch with State. In the past for bikes they just used to screw you on the premium.

I don't use them for bikes any more as I can use John Baker Insurance on the Ulysses deal. I changed when I bought the WR 2 years ago because State's quote was just stupid, especially for a me when we spend $1,000's with them and have never had a bike claim in 36 years.

raster
19th January 2006, 20:53
Relax and get used to it at your own pace.
Do not try and keep up with anyone, people tend to take off at 140Kph, let them go and watch out for them waiting for you on the side of the road if not in a ditch somewhere.

Counter steering, weaving, figure 8 at walking speed, starting stopping, changing gear. I found a massive carpark and rode round and round in circles. I passed my Full next day with about 200ks experience.
Use both front and rear brakes together at all times and gradually apply(practice this in different degrees of rapidity), don't jab them.

Keep the shiny side up. Everyone else is trying to knock you off.
My ZZR is 195Kg Dry weight, that takes a bit of pushing round, never ride into a downhill carpark, back in. Took me 5 minutes to get out one day.

Roki_nz
20th January 2006, 22:00
Hey finally got insurance 535 from national auto club for full so not to bad, update on my progress lets just sat still find it a bitch to wheel the thing but getting better or just stronger. Getting far more comfortable riding the bike mainly its starting and turning at the same time say for example at an intersection and turn left or right from a standing stop but getting there (getting lots of practice as I do it on a hill) didn’t drop it today so that’s good, getting better at not opening the throttle when breaking more comfortable with speed and cornering, although did flinch when I saw a car which wasn’t even a problem all in all though making progress after tomorrow should be ready to take it out on the road for a bit.

Hawkeye
16th February 2006, 10:19
Yeah will be going with them mainly due to the fact for the course where you don’t have to sit the practical test but also I want to learn how to ride so I keep on living. But before that I am just getting confident on my bike its easier to learn if you are relaxed

I did the Introductory and Basic Handling course with Roadsafe on Wellington Anniversary. Got my cert, and then did the scratchy the next day.
I can fully recommend going to them. They take you through everything at your own pace and in an empty carpark using cones to set up the conditions.
The course covers all the basics of Throttle/clutch control, normal braking conditions, braking at speed for emergencies etc.
Had been out on the bike before doing the course but I am much more confident now since doing it.