PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking my 400

MikeL
20th March 2004, 16:18
No riding, too much time on my hands, started thinking of what I'll do when I replace the GSX. The Track Time I did a month or so ago was great, the GSX didn't disgrace me but I'm thinking rather than take its eventual replacement onto the track and be afraid to push it because my insurance broker will get very upset if I bin another one so soon, why not give the CB1 a bit of a tweak. My main concern is that to get any worthwhile extra performance out of it I'll have to spend so much that it will end up not being cheap and expendable as it is at the moment.
Here's the guts of it:
400cc four, about 50 bhp as is. Everything completely stock. Has speedo restriction (180) - can be de-restricted but apparently it's a complicated job. Engine has done about 48,000 k and seems to be in good condition.
Brakes O.K. for normal riding but only has single front disc (would have to start braking a lot earlier for the hairpin at Puke than I did on the GSX). Pirelli Diablos - rear will have to be replaced soon.
So what do you people recommend? Forget it? What about replacing the exhaust and rejetting?? Approx. cost? Then I suppose the suspension would have to be upgraded as well...
The main advantage of the CB-1 (apart from expendability!) is its handling - it's a lot quicker in the corners than the GSX and with more power and better brakes and suspension would be a joy on the track.
Just not sure if I can justify spending the money.
Any advice?

Dave
22nd March 2004, 09:18
Sell it,
for about $2000 you can get a good early model rs125 GP bike still able to do 1.10's at puke-when you get good enough, and made to be raced!
The brakes,cooling system,engine,etc are already good enough to go racing.
Let me know if your genuine and i can help you find,buy,set-up one.

I will be racing my older 1992 model RS this year that i bought for $2000 3 years ago, so see how i go!

gpercivl
22nd March 2004, 16:21
I agree with Dave, your 400 will be racing in Formula 3 and once you get fast on it, you'll quickly find that you won't be able to keep up with the SV-650's unless you spend another few thousand dollars and the CB-1 isn't the bike to spend it on either.

The RS-125 will teach you more and you'll be much closer to the front without spending big $$$