PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE!!!

6Chris6
20th March 2004, 19:37
Well living up to my sign in name. :weep:

Went on ride today (cheers guys, great ride) and all was fine till on way home bike overheating, happened last week to, think maybe i should do a radiator flush but being the dumbass i am don't know were to start!

If anyone in the Auckland region can show me how tommorro if possible i would be happy to buy them a 40oz of his/her choice (would say box or beer but little hard to carry on bike) :D

Yamahamaman
20th March 2004, 19:42
Well living up to my sign in name. :weep:

Went on ride today (cheers guys, great ride) and all was fine till on way home bike overheating, happened last week to, think maybe i should do a radiator flush but being the dumbass i am don't know were to start!

If anyone in the Auckland region can show me how tommorro if possible i would be happy to buy them a 40oz of his/her choice (would say box or beer but little hard to carry on bike) :D
Out of curiosity - what are the symptoms? The fans on my bike turn on at around 101 degrees C.

Murray

6Chris6
20th March 2004, 19:47
Out of curiosity - what are the symptoms? The fans on my bike turn on at around 101 degrees C.

Murray
not sure if fans comin on but don't really think it should need to when cruisin on motorway at low revs and reservoir tank still cold which is a worry maybe blockage i'm thinkin

Yamahamaman
20th March 2004, 19:56
not sure if fans comin on but don't really think it should need to when cruisin on motorway at low revs and reservoir tank still cold which is a worry maybe blockage i'm thinkin
You will definately know when the cooling fan/fans turn on - your legs will become warmer. Just wondering why you think there is a problem. I am not trying to be negative btw.
Murray

6Chris6
20th March 2004, 20:02
You will definately know when the cooling fan/fans turn on - your legs will become warmer. Just wondering why you think there is a problem. I am not trying to be negative btw.
Murray
I know the fan used to come on but haven't noticed recently but bit hard with synthetic pants with armour on over jeans.
Temperature is going into the red danger area!

Yamahamaman
20th March 2004, 20:43
I know the fan used to come on but haven't noticed recently but bit hard with synthetic pants with armour on over jeans.
Temperature is going into the red danger area!
Modern anti-freeze addatives are usually formulated to prevent blockages. Maybe it is a temperature sender problem or a coolant circulation pump problem. Not being a mechanic, this is just a guess.

Murray

6Chris6
20th March 2004, 21:07
Modern anti-freeze addatives are usually formulated to prevent blockages. Maybe it is a temperature sender problem or a coolant circulation pump problem. Not being a mechanic, this is just a guess.

Murray
Ahhhh coolant circulation pump eh, that would make sence anyway of checkin this?

curious george
21st March 2004, 07:11
Have a look somewhere up front, on top of the radiator, there is a screw cap like what you get on a car.
It may be under your petrol tank.

Undo (do this when cold) and tell us what you see. If nothing, it needs to be filled with anti freeze.
If it looks a nice green colour, there may be a blockage somewhere.
At the bottom of the radiator, there is a drain plug. With the top cap off, you can undo this and drain the radiator. If the fluid is all nice and green, or at least clear and sludge free, possibly your pump is not circulating properly.
If all this looks OK perhaps there is something wrong with your engine :whistle:
Then take it a proper workshop.
If you can make it to devonport, I may be free this afternoon after three. :doctor:

laRIKin
21st March 2004, 09:07
If the coolent is not circulating, maybe it is just your thermostat is stuffed.
This can be a common fault.
And if you fan water sensor is after the thermostat it will still be in cold water, there for, the fan will not come on.
With some luck thats all it will be.
If you can hold each hose on each side of the thermostat housing.
And one side stays cold, it's stuffed.
You can remove the thermostat knock out the center (so you have a large washer) and put that back in and see if that fixes tha prob.
I WOULD put back in a new thermostat ASAP, but this will get you back on the road.
Remember if you do this mod, you engine could be running cold, so be carefull.

The part number for the thermostat is 49054 and the sender is 92066 and the fan switch is 27010, it may pay to check that these connections are good.

I'm not sure of your year of bike but this should be near enough to get get you started.
Give me your year and I'll try to find a better diagram.

Best of luck

6Chris6
21st March 2004, 10:29
Bike is '91 model c
I really appreciate the help.
Will print all and check now
Thankyou

curious george
21st March 2004, 12:01
Well done lemons. Yuo beat me to it. And here is the link. GO nuts and check out your entire bike.http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?strContentURL=site/VIVehicleInformation/VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=1

Dismantle with caution!!! Enjoy :spudbooge

6Chris6
21st March 2004, 15:20
Yeah radiator was very dry so filled it up and went for a blat to Piha seemed ok till i got stuck behind a huge line of cages at the twisty bit Titirangi end and it started heating up fan definately not comin on and coolant not circulating both hoses from themo are hot (well i think it's the thermo).
Would really appreciate it if i could pop round and get you to have a quick look please George any time your free.
The offer of the 40oz still stands :banana:

aff-man
22nd March 2004, 12:00
Well i got some spare time if you need it . When refiling did you let it run with the cap off to get rid of any air bubbles in the system, if not they could cause major troubles. If your fan isn't coming on then it is most likely the temp switch has gone faulty.

Wenier
22nd March 2004, 13:49
Check the level of coolant again. If u have to fill it up more start the bike let it run till warm fillin it more until all the air is out of the system. reason it needs to go till warm is to circulate the air out of the engine and replace it with the coolant in the radiator which is y after fillin it it will go down again. :) hope that helps

6Chris6
22nd March 2004, 17:46
Thanks very much guys. Hey aff man is bike ok?

aff-man
23rd March 2004, 08:08
nope lots off little things wrong might be a write off we'll see i'm getting it assessed tomorrow