PDA

View Full Version : riding in reflective jackets

JWALKER
19th January 2006, 09:28
i talked to a couple of newbie riders and they said to me, when they are riding they wera reflective vests (like road workers). i personally don't, but wondered is this a common practice, or new craze or something?

Lou Girardin
19th January 2006, 09:31
They're a great idea, extra visibility and all that. I just can't get past the naff factor.

MidnightMike
19th January 2006, 09:33
I heard (From somewhere), that they could eventualy be made compulsary. :argh:

JWALKER
19th January 2006, 09:35
They're a great idea, extra visibility and all that. I just can't get past the naff factor.

yeah, im kinda the same. thats why i brought light- coloured leathers to compensate for it

sAsLEX
19th January 2006, 09:42
that they could eventualy be made compulsary. :argh:

and more people will turn to the no rego, no mirrors, no indicators, slick tires sort of bike as rules like this will just convince more people to not bother about the police and just run!

XP@
19th January 2006, 09:48
i talked to a couple of newbie riders and they said to me, when they are riding they wera reflective vests (like road workers). i personally don't, but wondered is this a common practice, or new craze or something?
Check out this thread
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13520

**R1**
19th January 2006, 09:51
....wouldnt be seen dead in one??? or would i??:killingme

JWALKER
19th January 2006, 09:51
Cheers for that

snuffles
19th January 2006, 09:54
always ride with one on, when riding alone or at night, lets the cagers see you and have even beeen mistaken for plod, keeps the bastards away from me.

Dont care what people think, am still alive because of the jacket.

Harry33
19th January 2006, 10:00
I've worn one a couple of times when I first started riding( The big yellow L plate didn't stand out enough):bleh: I still will wear it, when its dark or on a overcast day.
You might look alittle silly but atleast they (hopefully) will see you. It's probably not a bad thing for a newbie like me.

The yellow L Plate is now long gone thanks to $295 (passrite):2thumbsup

Big Dave
19th January 2006, 10:24
Safety shmafety - they rate 10/10 for nerdiness. Harden up and be cool.
The ones that get me are the ones who wear flouro vests with jeans and sneakers. Duuuuhhhhh!

Ixion
19th January 2006, 10:29
I usually wear either a vest or a reflective jacket. Rather be naff than cool on ice in the morgue.

Swoop
19th January 2006, 10:33
Perhaps the vest coupled with a nice yellow rotating beacon on top of the helmet?
Might confuse cagers into beleiving we are all Caterpillar earthmovers or something incredibly large and solid...

:stupid:

JWALKER
19th January 2006, 11:30
yeah, i suppose there are pros or cons for both.
Dont start on those people, who werar shorts and sneakers.
saw a article in this months superbike magazine of a guy who came off a bike at 50km/h just wearing that, and his leg was so mushed, you had no problem seeing the bone

sunhuntin
19th January 2006, 12:19
theres a guy who rides local....first time i saw him, thought his bike was a harley, but recent sightings have confirmed his bike is not, but rather some form of japa v-twin. he wears a fluro vest all the time...can even spot him from the other side of the river, lol.
i dont wear one, but have taken to wearing a blue denim vest over the top of my jacket.
seen a few guys wearing jackets, sneakers and shorts. never mind the road rash....wouldnt the heat from the engine burn your legs somewhat?

sels1
19th January 2006, 12:34
My (winter) cordura jacket has refective bits in it already. For summer I bought a silver coloured mesh jacket which is visible enough - wont be going flouro anytime soon, thanx.

madmal64
19th January 2006, 12:48
Well having been taking out by a car doing a u turn earlier this week my kids reckon I should be wearing a Hi Vis vest, but Im not sure about it.
Maybe its a vanity thing. But I do wear multi coloured helmet & jacket etc so at least Im not all black or another dark solid colour.
I see a few folks commuting with them and they do stand out, but I suppose Im looking for bikes as well, not like some other road users

sAsLEX
19th January 2006, 13:00
Well having been taking out by a car doing a u turn earlier this week my kids reckon I should be wearing a Hi Vis vest, but Im not sure about it.
Maybe its a vanity thing. But I do wear multi coloured helmet & jacket etc so at least Im not all black or another dark solid colour.
I see a few folks commuting with them and they do stand out, but I suppose Im looking for bikes as well, not like some other road users

One of my helmets has large eyes on the back of it, apparently this can help as big eyes invoke a fear reaction so someone once said

Fishy
19th January 2006, 13:35
I see a guy every morning hooning down the southern motorway on a blue 98/99 ZX9R wearing a bright yellow roadworkers type vest. I personally won't wear one.

Firefight
19th January 2006, 13:39
I see a guy every morning hooning down the southern motorway on a blue 98/99 ZX9R wearing a bright yellow roadworkers type vest. I personally won't wear one.

yeah, I know him, pretty dam fast aye, have you tired to catch him ?

he's a shift worker as well, often rides home while the rest are going to work

the other way.

F/F

Phurrball
19th January 2006, 13:51
I've got a yellow reflective vest that lives under my seat with some light wet-weather gear. It's always there for when visibility is poor - a nice piece of extra safety-margin on Auckland's motorways at night, and other dull days where I feel more invisible than usual.

Jackrat
19th January 2006, 15:23
Cars don't pull out on bikers because they don't see them,when will people(bikers)work this out?
You can paint yourself fluro and put a flashing light on your head, an pricks that just don't give a shit will still pull out on you and later claim to have not seen you.All the visable SHIT in the world will never compensate for awarness on the part of the biker.
People pull out because you don't scare them,an anybody that thinks modern bikers are scary in anyway are fools.
The very few that really don't see you are the same type that will pull out in front of a train so they can't really be taken into account when discussing something like this.Their a bit like an earthquake or other natural disaster,they just happen and with luck they will just kill themselfs before you meet them.
I ride my XS EVERYWHERE with the lights off,it's black,I wear black(or grubby leathers)take your pick there.Anyway I get maybe one or two people do stupid shit around me every year and it's not because I'm big or scary,it's because I see them FIRST.
Before anybody claims other wise,I ride in Auckland traffic(you know, that stuff that scares the shit out of hayseeds from south of the Bombays).
So I have plenty of chances to meet all the usual suspects as far as crap car drivers are concerned.
Forget the fluoro,open your bloody eyes.
They will serve you well if you use them.

Big Dave
19th January 2006, 15:32
Rather be naff than cool on ice in the morgue.

This is where we disagree.

Phurrball
19th January 2006, 15:48
Forget the fluoro,open your bloody eyes.
They will serve you well if you use them.

I agree with you that eyes will save you in all but one respect - this scenario:

Riding on the motorway on a murky, raining night and your brake light is out.

(Yep, I know we should check them regularly - but imagine it's just blown and you don't know)

You brake, the car behind doesn't realise 'cos they're dreaming and you have no visible brake light...curtains where motorway speeds are involved.

A strained scenario I admit - but not impossible. A reflective vest will save you better than your eyes will in this situation

Lucyloo
19th January 2006, 15:51
I wear one.
Not quite the image I anticipated when I bought my bike, but I'd rather wear one and be seen...well, have a bit more chance of being seen, than not.

Holy Roller
19th January 2006, 16:21
I usually wear one cause I need one for work but my last accident the lady did not see me and did a U turn right in front of me, she just did not look. So the vest wasn't much use then. Still better do what can be done to make one safe.

fishb8nz
19th January 2006, 16:42
I was intending to go out and buy a Hi-Vis vest with reflective tape on today but went fishing, instead. But I will!
I ride at night and early morning in Waikato fogs. Don't care if I do look naff.

Jackrat
19th January 2006, 17:27
I agree with you that eyes will save you in all but one respect - this scenario:

Riding on the motorway on a murky, raining night and your brake light is out.

(Yep, I know we should check them regularly - but imagine it's just blown and you don't know)

You brake, the car behind doesn't realise 'cos they're dreaming and you have no visible brake light...curtains where motorway speeds are involved.

A strained scenario I admit - but not impossible. A reflective vest will save you better than your eyes will in this situation

Your going to get run down,your jackets not a replacement for a brake light.
The other driver did know you were there but he was still tail gating you anyway.The jacket made no difference,remember you said it,he was dreaming.
BTW I'm not knocking people that do wear them,I wear one everyday at work,it's just that I don't belive their effective against people that don't care anyway.

Suzi Q
19th January 2006, 18:13
My cousin has a large scooter, he now wears a vest which he believes has stopped a lot of people from pulling out in front of him. I am thinking of getting one for my daily ride to work as too many people fail to see my bright blue helmet and like to try and kill me on a nearly daily basis.

TwoSeven
19th January 2006, 18:17
I saw 4 green jackets riding down columbo st the other day, thought it was a good idea.

I have a reflective stripe around the base of me lid (from dispatching). My old rucka top used to have white reflective stripes. Doesnt show up during the day, but at night lights up like an xmas tree.

Holy Roller
19th January 2006, 19:54
For those who want a hi viz vest but don't want to fork out the mulah for one, then come on over to the BOP on 26th Feb for our charity ride there is one being offered as a spot prize, badges are only $10 entry. Shameless plug I know but its for a great cause.:Punk:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=663&day=2006-2-26&

oldguy
19th January 2006, 20:56
At the momment, a bright red bike with a set of yoshi pipes and they know I,m around, as I come up behind I can see them look in there mirrors, as for being hit from behind, well people run into the back of Kenworths, and if they can't see that, they can't see you in your Hi Viz.
But I am thinking of getting a vest anyway.

myvice
19th January 2006, 21:21
Thinking of one for work and back, wouldn’t use it on weekend rides tho.
I've seen people hit big yellow buses, we don’t have a shit show with people like that about!
Maybe if we shot flares at cars when they get too close? :ar15:

terbang
20th January 2006, 10:34
occasionally wear my work one though it really does look a bit gay. Might prove its worth at night though..?

Fishy
20th January 2006, 10:36
yeah, I know him, pretty dam fast aye, have you tired to catch him ?

he's a shift worker as well, often rides home while the rest are going to work

the other way.

F/F

Nah Im always going in the opposite direction than him but yeah I have seen him at some speed alright. Surprised that vest stays on.