PDA

View Full Version : 2003 KRR150

FzerozeroT
21st March 2004, 11:16
Have had my bike for 3000k's now so tis time to tell the world about its finer points

Specs :
Engine Type 2-Stroke, Liquid-cooled,
Displacement 148 cc
Bore & Stroke 59.0 x 54.4
Compression Ratio 7.2:1
Induction Crankcase Reed Valve
Fuel System Mikuni VM28
Ignition DC-CDI
Starting System Kick
Transmission 6-Speed
Suspension Front Telescopic fork
Suspension Rear Uni-Trak
Front Tyre Size 90/90 - 17
Rear Tyre Size 110/80 -17
Brakes Disc/Disc
LxWxH 1,965 x 725 x 1,075 mm
Wheel Base 1,300 mm
Rake 24 degrees
Seat Height 780 mm
Fuel Tank Capacity 11.5 litres
Dry Weight 124.5 kg

Engine :
Engine power is no too bad in the mid-band with usable power from 4,000, powerband appears 7,500 until 10,000, with a 10,500 redline.
With revs climbing through 8,000rpm in first a little lift is all that is needed for a small power wheelie (15 cms), and rises in the road are good for second gear power wheelies, once the wheel gets more than 30cm off the ground it starts to lift a bit quicker and I gess if I had the balls I could actually get it to balance point (or beyond!)
Because this bike is produced for the south east asian markets there is no provision for a thermostat so it takes a looong time to warm up on a cold morning and I'm always fearful that if I'm slowing down into a 50k zone at low revs the engine just gets colder and colder. Most of the time after normal-hard riding you can get off and touch the head no probs.

Gearbox :
Well enough spaced ratios but is clunky to the point of not wanting to change 2nd-1st on the move because it sounds like something is being violently thrown around down there. Final drive is a bit too low as well with 6th bouncing off the limiter at 160-180 (speedo is dodgy).

Suspension:
The only easy adjustment given is rear preload and while the rear is quite nice standard the front feels too lightly sprung, damping from either end is not too bad.

Brakes :
The discs aren't very big but they don't need to be, the bike weighs nothing and I'm only 64kilos so wet we should be less than 200kilos combined. The front lever is a bit soggy so I want to get a braided hose During racing type riding the front does start to fade after the first few corners so will need somethng done about that, my style of braking means late so the rear doesn't get used or it locks up.

Ergonomics :
Lets not kid ourselves, a 150cc bike is not going to be very large and although for me the size is fine when riding, when is is compared to other bikes it is a midget. just look at the photo of me on it :laugh: : I'm a monster!
The seat is long enough to fit two on the pilots seat, especially as I'm a tank hugger. No problem with the wrists as when sitting I can be completely balanced. The pegs are too low and the angle of the levers is too shallow. I know you're not supposed to shift during a corner but on this it is impossible unles you want to lose toes. Many changes to be made here.

Going For A Ride
I haven't really got much experience on other bikes to compare it with but this bike isn't really that slow, it's a pain in the ass to get off the line (I should have a new clutch under warranty:D) but once it gets going it gets along alright, I didn't have any problems keeping up with an EVO8 on the twisties out Te Kowhai, although that was keeping it below 150 for both of us. The front end drops down really nice/quick, but it feels as though there is a bit of a delay before the back goes down as well. I have had it in a rear slide three times now, ( once in my suit :Oops: ) and got it back into line easily.
I'm very happy with it, and I think it has good potential once I sort some of the problems out.

Niggles :
Speedo is inaccurate
Brake lever spongy
No thermostat / long warmup
Crap standard tires
Peg/lever position
Soft forks

Mods so far :
Smaller indicators
Removed all pillion gear

Mods to come :
Put my PPlate on it
Get a thermostat
Rearsets
Sticky tyres
Shift light
Smaller rear sprocket
Adjust/replace clutch/brake levers
Stiffen forks
Front brake
Expansion chamber / silencer
Head / port work
....Turbo two-stroke?

P.S. I really wanna drag an RG150 sometime :bash:

Indiana_Jones
29th March 2004, 21:32
looks like a FXR150.......I hear cool people own those :msn-wink:

-Indy

Two Smoker
29th March 2004, 21:35
I'll give you a race if your up in Aucks sometime, Maybe IJ can come and we can show him what real 150's are like hehehe.....

Indiana_Jones
29th March 2004, 21:41
lol battle of da 150's, lol cut me some slack......I'm 4-stroke :msn-wink:
plus u can show/ teach me a few tricks :D

-Indy

Antallica
30th March 2004, 07:58
Haha, yeah lets give him a run for his money :p

FzerozeroT
30th March 2004, 19:47
you fxr's better get turbo kits then :P

Indiana_Jones
31st March 2004, 17:08
you fxr's better get turbo kits then :P

I was kinda banking on my good looks and charm :)

-Indy