PDA

View Full Version : Taupo race meet - 21st/March

deeknow
21st March 2004, 21:20
I headed down to Taupo today with a mate to see the national race meet on in town, a combo car and bike event. Was a bloody great day, two races per class, 4-wheel events included Formula-Ford, V8 tourers, Porches, GTs and Pre '65s. The bike lineup was Superbikes and Supersports with points apparently going towards the national championship.

Only caught the end of the SuperBikes and it looked like the Suzukis of Bernard and Charlett from the Bernard team (http://www.bernardracing.co.nz/bernard_team.html) were one-two. Same result in the SuperSports in the only 600 race we saw. If Sherriffs was to win the last race, Shaun Harris only needed to finish 6th or better to retain the title, and it actually got pretty close in the end as he finished 5th (he wasnt looking his usual self, due to recent injuries I guess). The two GSX's were almost the whole back-straight ahead of the Harris group at the finish, really close racing between the two of them.

Its the 1st time I've been to the Taupo track after hearing lots about it from dudes who've ridden it on track days, and now I'm itching to get down there next time they have an open day, especially as its mostly left-handers :-)

Have attached a couple of photos, track scenes are miles away unfortunately coz me wee Digi-camera doesnt have a zoom. The funniest scene on the day had to be the kid on the scooter (attached), its a micro HarleyDavidson lookalike and had the name 'Hardly Dangerous' on the tank. The kid was obviously thinkin he was looking pretty cool, and enjoying riding the thing. We had to laugh tho, once he'd gone past us the 20th time :-)

Slim
23rd March 2004, 10:03
I heard Jason McEwen had a nasty crash into the sweeper (not sure if 1st or 2nd race) and is currently in Hospital with some pretty major injuries (rumour: punctured lung/s and leg/pelvis injuries). Wonder what that'll do to his season/career?

Sounds like it was a great day. Wonder if they'll do the C@r and Bike racing format again???

LB
24th March 2004, 05:39
Jason's accident was on Saturday in practice. Lost it between the end of the esses and the sweeper, ie he was going bloody fast. Is in Rotorua hospital, they're talking about 4-6 weeks in hospital. Two punctured lungs and a very badly broken leg. I wasn't there till Sunday, but I understand another bike was involved, not sure who but I understand the other guy is okay.

Shaun rode as fast as he needed to, won the 600 title after race 1 so didn't need to come out for race 2. Andrew Stroud won the Superbike title.

They won't be doing the car/bike formula for the Nationals next season. The idea was to give car fans a taste of bike racing and get them hooked. Yeah right. We heard several comments from car fans around us like "what are these shitters coming out for?" when the bikes came on. And after the last V8 race, before the last 600 race, the crowd thinned out by about 70% - so much for the car fans wanting to stay to watch the bikes (and there were still a few car races to go after the last bike race). We are also supposed to be getting tv coverage of the bike racing - apparently in mid-May. Wow.

Penta
24th March 2004, 13:19
Jason just clipped the rear wheel of the bike in front in the second qualifying. The running with the cars was to get more exposure for the the bikes by getting them on the TV, they have done a good job with it. Will be on TV one on the 16th May.

Kickaha
25th March 2004, 22:26
Jason just clipped the rear wheel of the bike in front in the second qualifying. The running with the cars was to get more exposure for the the bikes by getting them on the TV, they have done a good job with it. Will be on TV one on the 16th May.

My understanding was that the bikes still had to finance their own TV coverage and that at the Timaru round it just about didn't happen.

Comments like Lynda heard were fairly standard at the Liquor King,car people in general don't seem to give a toss about the bikes.

Slim
29th March 2004, 09:54
We popped in to the Rotorua Hospital so Brett (the mad ex-swinger, new-comer to F3) could have a quick visit with Jason & drop off some bike mags.

The drains had recently been taken out of both his lungs & he was feeling much better for it, but still a bit dopey/slurry on drugs. Both legs are broken, although only one of them resembles a Micano Set, and his back also resembles a Micano set.

Apparently he'll not be stuck in Rotorua Hospital for too much longer, but be transferred a bit closer to home in the not too distant future. He's enjoying the fact that his nurse is a bit of a petrolhead & has had a couple of motorcycle crashes herself. :D

He's damn lucky, but it's going to be a long recovery!

Kickaha
29th March 2004, 17:17
We popped in to the Rotorua Hospital so Brett (the mad ex-swinger, new-comer to F3)

Bretts not mad he's just misunderstood!

Tell him he still owes that barmaid at the Pizza place in Rangiora a bottle of wine when you see him next!

Slim
30th March 2004, 09:28
Bretts not mad he's just misunderstood!

Tell him he still owes that barmaid at the Pizza place in Rangiora a bottle of wine when you see him next!
Oh yeah?!?!? Is there a story I should hear about??? ;) PM me the details & I'll have some fun. :D

Brett's definitely mad. ALL Swingers are mad. It was quite funny watching him & John together at the pub on the way home Sunday. They're like an old married couple. :doobey:

Kickaha
30th March 2004, 10:38
Brett's definitely mad. ALL Swingers are mad. It was quite funny watching him & John together at the pub on the way home Sunday. They're like an old married couple. :doobey:

Who are you calling mad? I once had a physciatric examination and they told me I was completely normal are you saying they lied to me?

No story he told the barmaid he would bring her a bottle of something next time he was down,he did get lost while trying to find his way back to my place from the pub on his mountainbike though.

Slim
30th March 2004, 11:09
No story he told the barmaid he would bring her a bottle of something next time he was down,he did get lost while trying to find his way back to my place from the pub on his mountainbike though.
Why am I not surprised that he got lost after being in a pub?!?!? :lol:

Well, if all swingers aren't mad, then they definitely need their head read (which you obviously already have). Especially when you hear Brett talking about John losing him at Bretts first Wanganui race! :D

merv
2nd April 2004, 23:08
Just read this report on Silver Bullet and it doesn't sound too good for Jason http://www.silver-bullet.co.nz/news.php3?id=2801.

I hope he recovers well.

Our wishes are with you Jason.