PDA

View Full Version : hellp..in Welli..new bike..arrived flooded

monkey99
22nd January 2006, 11:15
:argh: Well I have taken delivery of my new CBR 250RR..unfortunately it was flooded by the enthusiasm of the dealer in Chch before coming over last night from the south...sigh..As I have been educated.. Hondas are notorious for difficulty to start after a flooding:brick: and without a very strong battery charge say goodnight:crybaby: Its a new battery..but is any of the demi god riders around Welli that can help me..I wanna go ride my new baby:crybaby: :crybaby:

:headbang: :soon: Anyone around Welli Mt Cook Tasman Street that can assist?:not:

onearmedbandit
22nd January 2006, 11:23
If you're up to it remove the sparkplugs and crank the engine for 30sec or so until fuel stops spitting out of the cylinders. Also allow the sparkplugs to dry if they are obviously wet, put them on a hot metal surface (good heat conductivity). Replace the plugs, give it a couple of cranks and you should be fine.

monkey99
22nd January 2006, 11:37
Yessum, Thatmight be agood direction to take..Rather vhave supervision on this sort of mechanical expedition tho..have no socket set to remove sparks..Fuel tap has been turned off..hoping that the flooding is not to savage..but well if I keep trying to crank this over..will kill the zap from the battery..gonna have another go..Any KB person about giz a call on 021 386 049 with any other options thanks

Good idea OAB just don't want to ruin any chance of riding this bike today cos I have not the education (yet) or correct tools..sigh

vtec
22nd January 2006, 12:37
Any ideas how it got flooded?

Also taking the sparkplugs out is a bit of a mission but doable if you are determined. It might be another problem though, if turning it over for quite a while hasn't started it. Also be very careful about push starting it when flooded. I've heard some horror story's of it causing aqualock (with fuel) and destroying engines. It's been talked about on www.cr-x.org/cbr250

Anyways good luck. Try and get the dealer to sort it out, and save you the hassle.

Motu
22nd January 2006, 12:42
Hold the throttle wide open and crank.If the battery is flat you have wasted your options.You're in Wellington?.....should be a hill I think,or are you at the bottom of one?

monkey99
22nd January 2006, 12:45
pure enthusiam by the fella in Chch..I was talking to the guy bringing it up from Chch etc and he had a go of turning it over..but has flooded it in this manner..he offered to get it sorted via Boyles (welli shop) but..well I still want to have a ride today if at all humanly poss..its Welli holiday tommorow also..so well bugger..been waiting for this bike since end of November..:bash: but another week:doh: mmm

JMemonic
22nd January 2006, 14:10
$5 at the warehouse(jumper leads) and a car battery if you have one around, if it still in a car do not start the car, hook the leads up onpen the throttle all the way and turn the bike over till it fires up

monkey99
22nd January 2006, 14:19
Cheers JMem. may have to WALK down and get this actioned then beg some 4 wheel whore to help ;) other wise it will be me relying on some kind soul in Welli to rescue the situation today or tommorow..holidays for local shops so local mechanics not avail. if the problem is deeper..The dealer/s are fantastic peeps so it will get fixed..I wanna be mobile now..ANY ONE IN WELLI WANT TO HELP GIZ A CALL ON 021 386049.

Ride on in health if you are unable..respect to those that have tried to assist so far...my sanity is now very fragile..sigh

nudemetalz
22nd January 2006, 19:32
Well, I responded to the aid of Monkey99 and went around with my spanners.

It turned over fine but just didn't want to catch, even full choke no throttle;no-choke full throttle.
So, we pulled the plugs out (with a great deal of effort, not easy to work on !!). All of the plugs were black and wet. Cleaned them up and they produced spark with a plug test.
Still no go and occasional loud backfires.

My theories are:
1. that the flooding has stuffed the new plugs.
2. when the dealer flooded it, he put something back together incorrectly , perhaps plug leads. We didn't take the tank off so didn't trace the leads.
3. the CDI may have cooked (unlikely)

CBR250RR's are normally quite reliable. The is a low km minter.

What ya reckon ?

Slingshot
22nd January 2006, 19:45
Did you check the kill switch?

Motu
22nd January 2006, 19:50
Are the plugs plat? If so they'll never fire a wet motor,seldom take a clean...fit new ones and she'll run.

Brian d marge
22nd January 2006, 20:07
As per Motu says , and I have had CBR250 cold foul,(get deposits on the plugs causes tracking) ,,with super , they were designed for 91 * not sure what you call it in NZ*

So if you are gettin a spark with plug on outside of cylinder....its probably tracking inside the cylinder

OR...the carb slide needle is worn in the emusifier tube, and any amount of throttle opening will cause a rich mixture.

BTW Airfilter clean??? and in ok cond

me, i would put a good set of plugs in there ones that are known to work .
remove airfilter....and shove some easystart up its jacksea , get the thing started ,,then go from there ....

nudemetalz
22nd January 2006, 21:34
Yes to the kill switch !!
Defintely made sure it was on.

I reckon new set of plugs would help it too.

Never got as far as the airfilter, was only a quick preliminary check to see if it could be gotten to run easily.

I think he's going to take it to a shop on Tuesday (our public holiday tomorrow).

Cheers Peoples :)

monkey99
22nd January 2006, 22:06
Well with huge respect for all..And large mentions of respect to Nudemetalz:2thumbsup i have taken a few deep breaths...drinks..and a few more breaths I have finished the first day of ownership of an absolute mint CBR250RR....It has now completed 1 km under my eyes...and pushing a bike up hill three times covers about half:ar15: but hey if your going to earn the wings of Honda..(These types of events do not typicaly happen to most bikers..this guy has a knack - Ed.) Huge ups to Fizzerman and my good friend Bad Lt. for the potential support and attempts of salvation on Welli aniverse day.:eyepoke:

So Sunday will be approached in much the same nature as todays..reluctant calm until after breaky..then consultation under expert eyes..I am bereft of mechanical application but eager to learn -Ed.. another attempt to get on the road for real Kms..

Thank you to all...interesting times:blank:

sAsLEX
23rd January 2006, 08:02
So, we pulled the plugs out (with a great deal of effort, not easy to work on !!).

understatement of the year award goes to.......nudemetalz!

*sic
23rd January 2006, 08:34
awesome you got the bike, not awesome it didnt work..

like dangling a freakn carrot!

deathstar
23rd January 2006, 08:41
could always sit on it and make VOOM noises that always works well

nudemetalz
23rd January 2006, 10:19
understatement of the year award goes to.......nudemetalz!

Ya cheeky bugger !!!:laugh:

I've been used to working on a ZX-10, the EASIEST bike in the world to work on. Honda could take come lesssons from Kawasaki.
To be fair though, the 250 has everything rather minaturised compared to the 1000.

sAsLEX
23rd January 2006, 12:27
To be fair though, the 250 has everything rather minaturised compared to the 1000.
you can get three plugs in and out of the MC22 realtively quickly say 5 minutes its just the third one that kills your hands and patience trying to get in and out

monkey99
23rd January 2006, 13:02
Well day 2 and this operation theatre is starting to look like a MASH unit without a still in the swamp to keep me happy..airbox off now..and i can confirm clean air filter.fresh plugs..new oil....now i am just sitting stunned looking at sAsLEX gif...least with some woman if they don't work you still get screwed..in this case.. I got a bike that appears to be screwed when all i want is a ride on a perfect day..sigh..can i get the number for this lady? ; )...actually no..I need money to fix this bike and that good lookin woman looks like she has expensive taste...sigh

Lucky for me NudeMetalz is as curious as I am to figure this one out so will be around on the 10 to assist with the next stage (thanks to consultation services nfrom Bill in AshBrtn) we are going to run dry, clean plugs again with empty bowls..at this stage may need a jump to get best voltage without kill this new battery..but we will keep you posted..

feel free to take the piss now while I am resigned to a fate of no kms on a perfect day..

monkey99
23rd January 2006, 14:15
right..engine has been dry run drained..plugs removed..battery almost freakin dead..sigh.:((

Nudemetalz and I have wagered that the overall problem must be the sparks..burnt and drowned much like witchs in medievil times (poor little buggers - Ed) so if any person is coming from outside the Welli holiday zone..to Welli..Then please do pick up some fresh NGK R CR9EH 9 plugs..four will do nicely to eliminate this problem and get me on the road today( I feel you have the same chance of winning "big Wednesday"..2 weeks running Mr - Ed)..

Of course the other difficulty is the spark energy thats been sucked out of the battery..and this means the really only way to get going is with a Jump once all back together.....

So remember..Get Plugs for Andy..Bring to Wellington and increase both yours and my odds of winning a big lottery prize ; )

Kudos to those helping in this battle against tyranny and oppression

monkey99
23rd January 2006, 14:17
you can get three plugs in and out of the MC22 realtively quickly say 5 minutes its just the third one that kills your hands and patience trying to get in and out

I think this girl fried your brain fella..either that you got rubber wrists :eek:

sAsLEX
23rd January 2006, 14:40
Then please do pick up some fresh NGK R CR9EH 9 plugs..four will do nicely to eliminate this problem and get me on the road today

been qouted 50 bucks each and four weeks wait from a certain shore bike store for these Honda plugs, but try repco as they did them for nice and cheap and were there the next day

**R1**
23rd January 2006, 15:03
rather than pushing it up and down hills why dont you just tow start it? my old CBR400 used to do the same thing:brick: , new plugs would normaly fix it but it got costly, and i found towing it for a few k's in 2nd or 3rd it would fire and run, then it would start up fine...

I have never owned a honda since

monkey99
23rd January 2006, 15:29
rather than pushing it up and down hills why dont you just tow start it? my old CBR400 used to do the same thing:brick: i found towing it for a few k's in 2nd or 3rd it would fire and run, then it would start up fine...

I have never owned a honda since

Understandable reaction..but I have..and outside the odd karmic bitch slapping via the bike 'o' day I have always valued and admired the precision of my past hondas:headbang:

Its just an adventure at the moment..

flash update - thankyou to sAsLEX ..again for providing good lead for the plugs.. as REPCO will have them for me tommorow morning $16 Each..open at 8 while I recharge the battery...

OKOK its still pretty F:?>en annoying not to ride...but now I am more personally versed with the new bike..that is a positive BTW:apint:

HUGE RESPECT to Nudemetalz, sLX and a one armed bandt etc you have helped me greartly in this unusual adventure..:done:

**R1**
23rd January 2006, 15:48
Understandable reaction..but I have..and outside the odd karmic bitch slapping via the bike 'o' day I have always valued and admired the precision of my past hondas:headbang:

Its just an adventure at the moment..

flash update - thankyou to sAsLEX ..again for providing good lead for the plugs.. as REPCO will have them for me tommorow morning $16 Each..open at 8 while I recharge the battery...

OKOK its still pretty F:?>en annoying not to ride...but now I am more personally versed with the new bike..that is a positive BTW:apint:

HUGE RESPECT to Nudemetalz, sLX and a one armed bandt etc you have helped me greartly in this unusual adventure..:done:dont take it the wrong way, nuthing wrong with Honda's, but for me its a bit like food poisoning, if you ate chicken and it made you real sick you would be a bit reluctant to eat it again aye....

monkey99
23rd January 2006, 16:36
dont take it the wrong way, nuthing wrong with Honda's, but for me its a bit like food poisoning, if you ate chicken and it made you real sick you would be a bit reluctant to eat it again aye....

none taken big brutha of the road...:spudwave: R1 is a sweet place to be...

nudemetalz
23rd January 2006, 17:48
Hope all goes well and remember the labelling of each plug lead has the correct cylinder number on it.
I reckon those other plugs were just stuffed 'cause not enough spark coming out.

Also remember when putting the plugs in, to do them up a little more to compress the washer down.

I'm anxious to hear it run now !!

NDMZ