PDA

View Full Version : Practising Cornering

Big Chim
22nd January 2006, 20:32
I'm not to sure if this has been covered before, if so please post a link.

I'm riding every weekend at the moment and sometimes during the week, practising lines and cornering etc but i find that when i am coming to the end of a ride everything comes together really well, like hitting the sweet spot in a golf swing, and I feel like you can take the corners faster than I thought possible due to getting my technique perfect (well, what i think i am trying to achieve).

After each ride I say to myself "man next time i have to find that rythm earlier and practice that more and more" but it tends to still fall into place towards the end of the ride. (this is tending to happen earlier in the ride now though). I find i get my technique and rythm right because i am warm from the previous turns in the ride and starting to relax more into my riding.

I have a few series of corners around the place that i find awsome and i was wondering if anyone else finds the same. I have thought about going out to a set one day and run it a couple of times learning more and more about my technique. Has anyone else done this?? Does it piss the people who live in the area off?? Is it legal to just keep running a set of corners like that?

Technique;

I have found often i am coming into a corner and thinking the corner is to sharp, the physics of the bike arent enough to make this corner at speed. The key i have found with this is to stay relaxed and not to worry what the corner looks like and what the bike is going to do. I find to look through the corner and focus on the way out is the technique i am trying to achieve (best practiced on slow label corners that you can see round with a bit of pace). The key i think is the focus on the exit and counter steering while leaning with the bike , let your body guide the bike round without focusing on it(definatly practice at lower speeds, get your lines right and understand the vanishing point so try the above once you have gained a bit of experiance) Trust your body will follow the line round the corner and trust that the bike has the ability and can make it.

I have heard more experianced KBer's mention that people have often crashed by hitting the brakes and not just leaning further and further into the corner to escape danger if they feel they are going to fast and that often we totally underestamate the bikes ability and its our own abilty which causes us to faulter, I keep this in mind as i am counter steering, leaning over, focusing on the exit and practising. I try and get a bit faster when i find this grove safely always understanding that i am close to my limits.

I know poeple often tell you this stuff but its hard to put into words. When it all falls together its awsome, everything flows and feels effortless and Safer?? maybe due to feeling comfortable with what you are doing.

I have only been riding a sort time and so i count myself by no means quailfied to know exactly what I am talking about, Any help from more experianced KBer's on this will be much appriacted and please do not hesitate to point out support in what i have said or another point of view where you think my assumptions in what i should be trying to achieve may be incorrect.

Thanks

Road Rash

Jackrat
22nd January 2006, 21:35
Find a set of corners you DON'T like an practice on them.

Uncle B
22nd January 2006, 22:08
Relax.
Try one thing at a time to find out what works and what doesn't.
Smooth, Smooth, Smooth.
Looking further ahead will slow things down and give you time to react to different situations plus give you time to set yourself up for the next corner.
Look to where you want to go.
If you come in 'hot' on a corner don't slam on the front brake.....a controled 'squeeze' as not to pitch the bike forward too much. Trail the rear brake, you'll find it will help keep the bike down. Braking should be done before the corner when the bike is upright.
Look to where you want to go.
Smooth, Smooth, Smooth.
Drop your upper body down a bit to get the elbows bent, That will give you more countersteering control.
Don't lock your arms......you can't steer with straight arms.

Remember.....Smooth.

N4CR
22nd January 2006, 22:12
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=16337&highlight=carpark

It's in my post. Basically find a carpark and set out a track, get the lean over and over and the speeds up and up. Don't try scraping the pegs in the first session. Try doing an hour or 2 every few days and you will start improving rapidly - worked for me.

erik
23rd January 2006, 06:30
I'm not to sure if this has been covered before, if so please post a link.
Here's one old thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=5482
There's nothing wrong with starting a new one though.

After each ride I say to myself "man next time i have to find that rythm earlier and practice that more and more" but it tends to still fall into place towards the end of the ride. (this is tending to happen earlier in the ride now though).
It's the same with me, it tends to take me a while before I feel like I've got into the rythm. On some rides I'm just not focused enough or too tired and never really get it. But if I'm regularly going on open road rides I tend to get into it quicker.

The key i have found with this is to stay relaxed and not to worry what the corner looks like and what the bike is going to do. I find to look through the corner and focus on the way out is the technique i am trying to achieve (best practiced on slow label corners that you can see round with a bit of pace).

I'd never say "don't worry what the corner looks like and what the bike is going to do". That's the main concern when riding, to be able to read the corner (the road, not the recommended speed sign) and get around it safely.

I have heard more experianced KBer's mention that people have often crashed by hitting the brakes and not just leaning further and further into the corner to escape danger if they feel they are going to fast and that often we totally underestamate the bikes ability and its our own abilty which causes us to faulter....
I still have to force myself to lean the bike over sometimes. Like yesterday, approaching a corner a bit too hot, worrying about the possibility of wet tar on the corner surface, the gravel on the edge, braking... braking... start to focus on the gravel edge (uh oh) then thinking "LEAN".
I think I must've been tired or something.

Sounds like you're on the right track, thinking about cornering and practicing etc. :)
Good luck.

Bob
23rd January 2006, 07:24
All sound advice and well worth bearing in mind.

If you're prepared to shell out a few pennies, can I suggest you buy a copy of the "Twist of the wrist" DVD by Keith Code?

Code may be a spaced out old hippy, but what he says makes sense. His technique is - or rather was - aimed at the track, but there is enough in there to apply to a road-going situation.

I wrote a review of the DVD (I say go for the DVD as it is a good thought provoker... and avoids the Californian Psycho-babble that is a common complaint about the books). Link as follows:

http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/trainingtwist.htm

Within the review is a link to the Califonia Superbike School - it is the UK one, but hopefully they can point you in the right direction to getting a copy of the DVD from closer to home.

Badcat
23rd January 2006, 08:15
All sound advice and well worth bearing in mind.

If you're prepared to shell out a few pennies, can I suggest you buy a copy of the "Twist of the wrist" DVD by Keith Code?

Code may be a spaced out old hippy, but what he says makes sense. His technique is - or rather was - aimed at the track, but there is enough in there to apply to a road-going situation.

I wrote a review of the DVD (I say go for the DVD as it is a good thought provoker... and avoids the Californian Psycho-babble that is a common complaint about the books). Link as follows:

http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/trainingtwist.htm

Within the review is a link to the Califonia Superbike School - it is the UK one, but hopefully they can point you in the right direction to getting a copy of the DVD from closer to home.

i have his book "twist of the wrist 2" - and it's really good.
the things that i took away from it mostly were:
1- it's almost always our perception of what the bike can or can't do that causes a crash - often we will chicken out and brake- crash etc before the bike is close to it's limit.
2- always LOOK where you want to go - if you are in a corner and it's getting out of hand - ALWAYS look at the exit, not the wall, curb or other bad stuff.
Where you look - often ends up your destination.

anyway - buy the book, it may save your bike or a crash.

k

Big Chim
23rd January 2006, 16:33
2- always LOOK where you want to go - if you are in a corner and it's getting out of hand - ALWAYS look at the exit, not the wall, curb or other bad stuff.
Where you look - often ends up your destination.

I have found when I'm warmed up and everything is feeling good your in the zone. The zone being the place where everything seems to be in place, your relaxed, looking far through the corner, not being distracted, confident. Its an awsome feeling. I have been caught once or twice where coming up to the corner i'm not focused and i might have just glimpsed at some thing on the side the road, i havent had an accident yet but i can tell you i saw first hand how its only and instant and things can be going from good to shit in a real bloody hurry.

Thanks all for your input, keep it coming, its great to have food for thought

Road Rash

MoFunthanmost
23rd January 2006, 17:28
I was taught to slow down before a corner, gently using the front brake to move the weight forward, ( or just engine braking) and trailing with the back if extra slowdown is needed. but i was also told not to use the front brake at all while 'in' the corner (or basically leaning) this way, you should already have brought the weight forward enough before cornering and it'll be easier to cruise through. Also, acelerate through and out a corner - try not to be slowing down during it.

as the saying goes, "Brake of the Straight before it's too late".. ;)

Myself:
I've noticed when I'm not 'thinking' about cornering so much and inthe 'zone' i use my hips rather than lean my body off the bike, kinda pushing them into the bike toward corner, rather than leaning off the side of the bike, and end up bringing my body closer to the bike, towards the bars which brings the weight... seems to work for me.. but then i've only been riding since march last year, so hardly an expert.

my 2c tho... :done:

Good luck dude!

Mo

bigbadwolf
25th January 2006, 13:59
Does it piss the people who live in the area off?? Is it legal to just keep running a set of corners like that?

nothing wrong with just running a set of corners like that. cant see a problem with riding up and down a road, although maybe a KB cop could help us out?

although i used to do the same thing with sweet set of corners round a back street near where i live, then one night i hooned along a straight after gettin perfect lines through everything (its a great feeling) and went past an unmarked van on the side of the road.... 79ks in a 50k zone gets ya accelerated tax of $230.... talked to a guy i know who lives around there and some of the residents had been trying to request the van to be placed there because of people like me! :buggerd:

Big Chim
25th January 2006, 14:18
although i used to do the same thing with sweet set of corners round a back street near where i live, then one night i hooned along a straight after gettin perfect lines through everything (its a great feeling) and went past an unmarked van on the side of the road.... 79ks in a 50k zone gets ya accelerated tax of $230.... talked to a guy i know who lives around there and some of the residents had been trying to request the van to be placed there because of people like me! :buggerd:

The set i ahve in mind is in the country a wee way out so i think it would be the farms that would get pissed if anything, wouldnt do it at night though, only during the day

Warr
25th January 2006, 15:12
The set i ahve in mind is in the country a wee way out so i think it would be the farms that would get pissed if anything, wouldnt do it at night though, only during the day
The ones I like which arent too far away are past Temple View. Going out there is a long open right hander, can crank it up nicely around there. Where is your ones ?

Big Chim
25th January 2006, 16:26
I really like the set before you go into french pass out cambridge, there is a series of 45's i think before you get up into the hill. The divi out to rags is awsome also.

MidnightMike
25th January 2006, 16:30
Mmm corners :ride:

Big Chim
25th January 2006, 16:31

Yeah corners are cool:yeah:

MidnightMike
25th January 2006, 16:39
Yeah corners are cool:yeah:

Yeah couldnt be bothered read'n so just posted that :eyepoke:

James Deuce
25th January 2006, 17:25
That's OK midnightmike, we'll get XP@ to move your posts into PD.

Another tip from Keith Code, that I find works very well, is to keep the driveline and suspension loaded to make steering responses predictable. In other words make sure you are applying some throttle all the way from the corner entry, increasing the amount of throttle on the once past the apex until you are at the maximum throttle setting you want on exit.

Waylander
25th January 2006, 17:26
Corners, preacious. We loves them we does.;)

justsomeguy
25th January 2006, 17:36

OH my God!! A corner NOOO!:wacko:

Anyone have a copy of the twist of the wrist DVD that I could borrow??

Here's a link to an article on mid-corner corrections.
http://www.durbanbmwclub.co.za/rtips.php?txt_art=4&title=Cornering%20Through%20a%20Crisis

KATWYN
25th January 2006, 18:04
Its taken me a few years to get used to corners....even now
I have issues.

My chicken strip is still about 10mm either side of the rear tyre

I know the bike I ride was literally designed for cornering but I have
this barrier of thinking shit *what if * there is loose metal in this corner,
or oil.........so I don't enjoy cornering as much as I should because of the
*what if*

How the heck do ya get over that thinking barrier??? any tips?

justsomeguy
25th January 2006, 18:12
Hahaha, KATWYN I think you think too much:wacko: - hahahahaha - just joking - Deja Vu anyone?? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=21933)

I guess there's nothing like practice - and being focussed and disciplined while riding.

Here's a link to a good thread on cornering that I found on here:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=5482

erik
25th January 2006, 21:47
I have issues.

*what if*

It's sensible to hold back so that you feel you can deal with things that may lie around the corner. Don't ever stop thinking "what if".
But maybe you either need to slow down a bit to a speed where you feel you can deal with the unforseen, or you need to go and practice changing your line in corners and moving around on the bike etc. so that you are more comfortable with the bike and feel confident that you can avoid things at the speed you like to ride at. Stuff like placing more weight on the pegs and hanging off the bike might help - I find that when I'm hanging off the bike rather than keeping my arse in the seat, the bike is more free to move under me which makes changing lines easier. Also I think it makes it easier to deal with situations where the tyres do start to slip as you can let the bike move a bit under you. I reckon don't worry about looking silly - if it helps you learn more how the bike reacts, it's good.
Late apexing/staying wide until you can see the corner exit is good in this respect as it makes you practice changing your line to a tighter line once you can see through the corner.
I feel like I'm being a bit pretentious offering my advice like this to a more exprienced rider such as yourself... :o

Big Chim
25th January 2006, 21:54
I have issues.

*what if*

Stay relaxed, if your tense your less likley to react in a fluid manner, worse case panic and hit the brakes.

Also practise on roads where you know what there conditions are like

Big Chim
25th January 2006, 21:56
I find that when I'm hanging off the bike rather than keeping my arse in the seat, the bike is more free to move under me which makes changing lines easier. Also I think it makes it easier to deal with situations where the tyres do start to slip as you can let the bike move a bit under you. I reckon don't worry about looking silly - if it helps you learn more how the bike reacts, it's good.

This is also something that i'm starting to experiment with, Think its good to have your lines sused and always looking through the corner for this though.

Big Chim
25th January 2006, 22:03
If you were to come across a hazard in the middle of the road dead center do you think it would be best to tighten your line or swing wider on the corner providing you have room to move either side?

KATWYN
26th January 2006, 08:37
I feel like I'm being a bit pretentious offering my advice like this to a more exprienced rider such as yourself... :o

Cheers Erik for the advice. Just cause I have ridden for years does not
by any means make me an experienced rider.

One thing that has helped my cornering as well is my hubby said don't take notice of the speed signs (coming up to a corner) - ride around the corner at the speed I think I can do (*he was emphasizing speed consistancy, not being an idiot and taking the corner ridiculously fast for my experience*) - and not to freak out and button off just cause the sign says to go 35 or 55 etc.

This advice has helped me a lot because I would find the signs would freak me out if i'm coming up to a corner at 100 and a sign says 55. I would think " oh shoot, i'm not sposed to go around this corner at 100" so would button off etc and lose all consistancy.

Big Chim
26th January 2006, 16:59
Yeah i have noticed that also KATWYN. I use it as an indication of whats up ahead but i'll ride the road and its lines rather than the road signs.

I've also been taught about the vanishing point, how thick the corner or road looks right at the point where you cant see it, if it shrinks it means the corner is getting tighter and larger means that its starting to open up, kinda hard to explain, i found it requires practice still (after all i'm still new at this game)

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
26th January 2006, 19:23
Recently I was taught to also steer with my feet - fantastic - I know if I have misjudged a little I bring everything into action - engine braking, leaning, counter steering and foot as well (works like hand counter steering). Sugilite could probably explain this better - he taught me the trick and I have never looked back - I very rarely use the brakes but if I have to - I put the front and back on simultaneously, gently - last resort tho.

Big Chim
26th January 2006, 21:05
Sugilite could probably explain this better - he taught me the trick and I have never looked back - .

Direct Sugilite to this thread and get him to share his knowledge

sugilite
26th January 2006, 23:04
Heyyas, I have been duly Directed to this thread!
OK, Road Rash, this ties in with your feeling of being at one with your bike.

Technique overview: When approaching a fave set of twisties, get up on the balls of your feet, and bend your elbows slightly, I think of it as a attack position, please note it is not meant to be the banzai position!

Technique: As you turn it into a left hander, you press down on your left hand foot peg as well and adding the counter pressure to the bars., and visa versa for the right.

Exercises to practice: I know a very simple exercise to teach you the principle, choose a nice quiet road you know well, Select a middle of the road gear (3rd or maybe 4th depending on road) and ride the road using only one hand at a speed you feel comfortable at.
You will quickly realize how to use your feet to steer the bike.
Do this along your stretch of road (at least 5 km) at least 2 times, preferably 3 times. Then do it again this time using both hands.
it will be a revelation to you how at one you will be with the bike. Using your whole body to steer spreads and smooths the load and forces of cornering.

Benefits: Using your feet places a certain amount of the cornering forces lower on the bike. (rather than all through the higher and less stable handlebars, lower forces are a good thing) This assists the overall handling of the bike.

You can use this technique to real advantage on the transition from left to right, say through a good series of esses....
As you are already on the balls of your feet, try and hover your ass just above the seat as the bike goes from one side to another using your leg strength to do so.
This allows your suspension to work a lot better, as you are in effect using your legs as suspension, rather than just sitting there like a sack of spuds forcing your suspension to work overtime. The effect is it really smooths the whole show out allowing you to concentrate on whats coming up next.

Practice that lot and you will quickly get into the flow of things.:woohoo:

Now, I've never really written down any of this before, so I may not be clear enough on the above, feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to clarify.

Motu
27th January 2006, 07:00
Trials tecnique again....you ride a trials bike standing on the pegs of course,and you can turn the bike from side to side just weighting the pegs...on a tight turn the outside peg is weighted.

Being one of those old farts I always like to be smooth,that's when I feel like I got it all sussed.But one of Keith Code's little rules has been my bugbear for years (I read the book when it first came out) And that is the tendancy to back off mid corner for no reason,and you always think ''bugger,why did I do that? hope no one was watching''.It always happens near the apex where the corner is tightest,you feel like you've overcooked it and back off a bit - of course you don't need to and it would be better,and smoother,if you kept the power gently on all through the corner.I always feel good when I can do corner after corner in the tight stuff with just smooth power transitions and no throttle corrections mid corner.

MisterD
27th January 2006, 10:15
A lot of the foregoing technique stuff is very interesting, but I'd be interested to know what people opinions on the different lines through corners.

I tend to keep a wide line so that I can see further down the road, with the added plus that you tend then to run back to the centre of your lane. Clipping the apex race-track style though means if your momentum carries you towards on-coming traffic on a lefty and the hedge on a righty.

buellbabe
27th January 2006, 10:40
Ditto everything said but especially "look to where you wanna go and thats where you'll go" and 2ndly "trust yr bike", even if you are a tad nervous remind yrself this is what bikes were built for.
And most importantly... ENJOY :headbang: :banana: :ride:

Big Chim
28th January 2006, 19:52
Heyyas, I have been duly Directed to this thread!
OK, Road Rash, this ties in with your feeling of being at one with your bike.

Hey Suglite, I'm gonna try this next time i'm out. I think you were pretty clear in what you were describing. I'll let you know how it goes.

Nice Work:niceone:

Big Chim
28th January 2006, 19:55
on a tight turn the outside peg is weighted.

is this as you get more 'lean' on in your turn. Is this to help hold the bike up as you are getting further over?

To understand clearly;

If turning right to start you weight the right pegs to throw the bike over but as you are in the corner you start to wirght the left peg to hold you up and apply further presser to help bring you up out of the corner?

Motu
28th January 2006, 20:54
I was talking about trials there,but every technique used in trials can be applied to everything else you do on a bike...the foundation of skills.

erik
28th January 2006, 21:14
is this as you get more 'lean' on in your turn. Is this to help hold the bike up as you are getting further over?

To understand clearly;

If turning right to start you weight the right pegs to throw the bike over but as you are in the corner you start to wirght the left peg to hold you up and apply further presser to help bring you up out of the corner?
Go in a carpark and try it.

Try doing slow, fairly tight figure 8's with all your weight on the pegs, letting the bike lean over under you as you turn. Your weight has to go on the outside peg because it's the uppermost one. It's pretty hard on your legs though, would be a good workout.

It is kind of the opposite of hanging off the bike at high speed because it makes you lean the bike over further than if you were sitting on the bike, whereas hanging off at high speed should let you keep the bike more upright giving more ground clearance.

Teflon
28th January 2006, 21:26
try to keep your eyes level with the horizon. your reaction times will be better when it all turns to shit... it will all fall in to place with time, and if your like me you will still crash.

Big Chim
28th January 2006, 21:28
Cool. Yeah i will give all which has been talked about a go next time i'm out. i have a lot to play with and think about now interms of developing my own technique,

Thanks ya'll

Any other ideas, keep em coming

Big Chim
28th January 2006, 21:33
try to keep your eyes level with the horizon. your reaction times will be better when it all turns to shit... it will all fall in to place with time, and if your like me you will still crash.

Hahaha yeah sorry to hear that bud, hope things are getting back together quickly.

Yeah i'm starting to develop the horizon thing. I find that if i crouch down behind the screen in what i think is a more racing postion and look far through to the end of the corner i get a good response in my riding. I find that i'll take note of whats going on directly below me and infront of me when i have spotted it further out and keep recieving th information through my periphials. I find the whole look of the road changes when i do this compared to when i'm sitting up right and try, i find i dont get a more eye to road level perception of the road, instead of looking along the road i'm looking down on it. Along is definatly better.

Teflon
28th January 2006, 21:44
Hahaha yeah sorry to hear that bud, hope things are getting back together quickly.

Yeah sweet mate.. to be honest, it has to be one of the better crashes i've had, got the old blood pumping again.

Big Chim
28th January 2006, 22:12
Yeah sweet mate.. to be honest, it has to be one of the better crashes i've had, got the old blood pumping again.

Damm have ya had a few?? I'm yet to experiance this aspect of riding but as this thread may suggest i am learning as much i can to hopefully never have to have the pleasure.

Motoracer
29th January 2006, 01:30
I have never been a theoretical person, to an extent.. Therefore I have always used the "practice, practice and more practice" theory to get to where ever I am today..

mstriumph
29th January 2006, 01:47
Cheers Erik for the advice. Just cause I have ridden for years does not
by any means make me an experienced rider.

One thing that has helped my cornering as well is my hubby said don't take notice of the speed signs (coming up to a corner) - ride around the corner at the speed I think I can do (*he was emphasizing speed consistancy, not being an idiot and taking the corner ridiculously fast for my experience*) - and not to freak out and button off just cause the sign says to go 35 or 55 etc.

This advice has helped me a lot because I would find the signs would freak me out if i'm coming up to a corner at 100 and a sign says 55. I would think " oh shoot, i'm not sposed to go around this corner at 100" so would button off etc and lose all consistancy.

me either ---------- and the NZ roadsigns totally freaked me while i was over there, with a similar result to the one you get ........ *sigh*

XP@
30th January 2006, 00:18
A lot of the foregoing technique stuff is very interesting, but I'd be interested to know what people opinions on the different lines through corners.

I tend to keep a wide line so that I can see further down the road, with the added plus that you tend then to run back to the centre of your lane. Clipping the apex race-track style though means if your momentum carries you towards on-coming traffic on a lefty and the hedge on a righty.

You are correct, on the road delay the apex. It gives you the visibility and keeps you out of the way of the nutter coming the other way. The number of times it has saved my life is beyond counting.

I have a lucky friend who crashed because he was early in, late out and crossed the line hitting a car. He was lucky the car didn't kill him then we were both lucky that i had taken a good line and had enough options to miss his vital organs and his bike.

Big Chim
30th January 2006, 11:14
You are correct, on the road delay the apex. It gives you the visibility and keeps you out of the way of the nutter coming the other way. The number of times it has saved my life is beyond counting.

I have a lucky friend who crashed because he was early in, late out and crossed the line hitting a car. He was lucky the car didn't kill him then we were both lucky that i had taken a good line and had enough options to miss his vital organs and his bike.

Damm that aint a good thing, Hope i never incounter a situation like that, but will train as if i will.

TygerTung
30th January 2006, 16:50
You've gotta be careful about leaning the bike over too much if you've got solid footpegs! I chucked my trusty CG into a corner today, was hanging right off the side as well as you do on a CG, foot was scraping, but I didn't think it was too much then the solid pegs dug in! Certainly upsets your balance, made me very wobbly, didn't come off though.

I think I'm gonna have to cut off the solids and get some spare rear footpegs and weld those on, solids are gay!

Big Chim
30th January 2006, 16:56
You've gotta be careful about leaning the bike over too much if you've got solid footpegs! I chucked my trusty CG into a corner today, was hanging right off the side as well as you do on a CG, foot was scraping, but I didn't think it was too much then the solid pegs dug in! Certainly upsets your balance, made me very wobbly, didn't come off though.

I think I'm gonna have to cut off the solids and get some spare rear footpegs and weld those on, solids are gay!

Yeah my pegs fold back. Still pays to be careful on it though aye. can fold back pegs still play havoc though if they touch down?

TygerTung
30th January 2006, 17:33
Nah fold ups are sweet as, thats what I'm gonna put on mine.

Big Chim
30th January 2006, 19:46
Nah fold ups are sweet as, thats what I'm gonna put on mine.

Choice, not that i think i am at that stage yet:2thumbsup

TygerTung
30th January 2006, 20:29
Ha! And just as I was saying about the evils of solid pegs, I just crashed!

Was trying to get a knee down around a corner and the solid peg dug into the ground, lifted the back wheel off the ground, and low sided me, went into a slide, was probably doing about 60 or so, as it was a 35 corner...

Thank god for proper bike gear as I escaped without injury! cordura pants are a little ripped, but I'll just sew some leather over the rips.

So thank your lucky stars you have fold up pegs and ALWAYS wear all your gear.

Big Chim
30th January 2006, 21:11

Was trying to get a knee down around a corner and the solid peg dug into the ground, lifted the back wheel off the ground, and low sided me, went into a slide, was probably doing about 60 or so, as it was a 35 corner...

Thank god for proper bike gear as I escaped without injury! cordura pants are a little ripped, but I'll just sew some leather over the rips.

So thank your lucky stars you have fold up pegs and ALWAYS wear all your gear.

Bro, good to hear your ok. Sort those pegs out quick smart. Smart move wearing all the gear while trying the seat of your pants manovers out:2thumbsup

Any damage to the bike to fix?

TygerTung
30th January 2006, 21:54
Nah nothing major, bent footpeg, scraped end of handlebar and muffer, but the mudguard mounts are snapped off at the front but it doesn't matter cos I brought a new discbrake front end off trademe anyway.

XP@
31st January 2006, 08:37

That was silly!

You can use the side of your foot to guage how far down you are. Just make sure you ain't going to hit a rock / pothole or other stuff cos it hurts. Also having decent boots helps.

You should also be keeping your bike as upright as possible when cornering. Yup ok, it will be getting horizontal on a fast corner but remember to lean in.

Usual disclaimer, knee down should be reserved for the race track cos you can't guarentee the surface or moving hazzards...

TygerTung
31st January 2006, 16:46
I was hanging right off the side of the bike, the inside of my knee was touching the seat.

My boot was well and truley scraping, it happens all the time, they're proper bike boots too. Trying to keep the bike vertical as possible.

I know the corners a good one, it's the good tar seal with the water channels cut into it and nice and smooth, go around that corner all the time.

I think these fold up pegs are the go, but I don't think it's actually possible to get a knee down on a CG, the bike is just wrong for it.

Big Chim
31st January 2006, 17:31
I think these fold up pegs are the go, but I don't think it's actually possible to get a knee down on a CG, the bike is just wrong for it.

Yeah gotta keep that in mind when pushing to aye

N4CR
31st January 2006, 20:14
This is what carparks are for....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=307

Go and practise my young child!

Big Chim
1st February 2006, 19:26
This is what carparks are for....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=307

Go and practise my young child!

Do you practise that often?? The photos are awsome. did it take ya long to get the hang of it??

Big Chim
2nd February 2006, 21:04
Hey Tristank how fast are you going for the stoppie and the knee down in the car park?

Mental Trousers
3rd February 2006, 17:47

Mount the pegs (and associated levers) higher up and raise the exhaust and anything else that will touch down before your knee does and you will.

TygerTung
5th February 2006, 13:20
I cut off the solids and fitted some foldups on thursday, I'll see how I go now, I still need to change the kickstarter, it gets in the way of my foot quite badly.

Big Chim
5th February 2006, 16:21
Good Job TT, Be careful out there though:cool:

mstriumph
7th June 2006, 16:52
..............But one of Keith Code's little rules has been my bugbear for years (I read the book when it first came out) And that is the tendancy to back off mid corner for no reason,and you always think ''bugger,why did I do that? hope no one was watching''.It always happens near the apex where the corner is tightest,you feel like you've overcooked it and back off a bit - of course you don't need to and it would be better,and smoother,if you kept the power gently on all through the corner...........

trawling thru old threads and just found this --- damn - i do that too if i don't watch meself ..... allus feel like a total idiot afterwards ...... gotta practice more methinks