PDA

View Full Version : Changing your own tyres

slopster
23rd January 2006, 17:19
How difficult is it to change your own tyres. The reason I ask is that I do a lot of open road riding but wouldn't mind getting a sticky set for the track. Can you change them like bicycle tyres with a few big tyre levers? I guess you wouldn't be able to ballance them but that would be ok on the back.

2much
23rd January 2006, 18:29
Don't bother, tryed it once, it's a cunt and you'll just fuck your rims.

Take the wheels off yourself and take them down to your local tyre shop. Just did mine today, didn't have to take sprocket or discs off (just ask them to be careful cause discs are fucken expensive), and I only payed $10 for front and rear.... expect to pay up to $25, still shitloads cheaper than a bike shop, I've been quoted $60-80!

Edit: Don't worry bout balancing, it should be sweet. However if you do get vibrations you'll have to get it done.

DingDong
23rd January 2006, 18:36
what about a second set of rims?

WINJA
23rd January 2006, 18:36
How difficult is it to change your own tyres. The reason I ask is that I do a lot of open road riding but wouldn't mind getting a sticky set for the track. Can you change them like bicycle tyres with a few big tyre levers? I guess you wouldn't be able to ballance them but that would be ok on the back.
YUP ,BOUGHT THE BUZZETTI LEVERS FROM MOTOMAIL , I WRAP MY IN INSULATION TAPE TO PROTECT THE RIMS , I PUT A 1M LONG PIECE OF 4 BY 2 UNDER THE RIM TO SUPPORT IT , THEN PLACE MY LOADING RAMP ON THE TYRE AND JUMP ON IT REAL HARD TO BREAK THE BEAD , THEN LEVER OFF , THEN LEVER ON THE NEW TYRE WITH A BIT OF SUNLIGHT , BEAD UP WITH ABOUT 60PSI AND THE SCHRADER REMOVED , PUT THE SCHRADER IN PUT WHATEVER PREASURE IN YOU LIKE , I USE MY RACE STANDS AND AXLES TO BALANCE MY TYRES , USE CHALK , YOULL FIGURE IT OUT , CAREFULL RIMS CAN BE EASILY DAMAGED

R1madness
23rd January 2006, 18:47
I WRAP MY IN INSULATION TAPE TO PROTECT THE RIMS

Why not spend $20 on a set of rim protectors?

[/QUOTE] I PUT A 1M LONG PIECE OF 4 BY 2 UNDER THE RIM TO SUPPORT IT , THEN PLACE MY LOADING RAMP ON THE TYRE AND JUMP ON IT REAL HARD TO BREAK THE BEAD [/QUOTE]

Or buy a bead breaker for $80. Any bike shop that has a resident racer will know where to get one

[/QUOTE] THEN LEVER OFF , THEN LEVER ON THE NEW TYRE WITH A BIT OF SUNLIGHT , BEAD UP WITH ABOUT 60PSI AND THE SCHRADER REMOVED , PUT THE SCHRADER IN PUT WHATEVER PREASURE IN YOU LIKE , I USE MY RACE STANDS AND AXLES TO BALANCE MY TYRES , USE CHALK , YOULL FIGURE IT OUT , CAREFULL RIMS CAN BE EASILY DAMAGED[/QUOTE]

Hehe just lever off you say.... i do it often enough it looks simple but when you do it the first time expect to take a while. To protect your knuckles make sure you remove the sprocket or at least have it facing away from the side you are working on.

When ballancing it the heavy spot will end up at the bottom of the wheel. Just add a few weights at the top and spin it again. If it stops somewhere different try to spin it a few times. the more times it stops somewhere different the better balanced it is.

WINJA
23rd January 2006, 19:01
Why not spend $20 on a set of rim protectors?

I PUT A 1M LONG PIECE OF 4 BY 2 UNDER THE RIM TO SUPPORT IT , THEN PLACE MY LOADING RAMP ON THE TYRE AND JUMP ON IT REAL HARD TO BREAK THE BEAD [/QUOTE]

Or buy a bead breaker for $80. Any bike shop that has a resident racer will know where to get one

[/QUOTE] THEN LEVER OFF , THEN LEVER ON THE NEW TYRE WITH A BIT OF SUNLIGHT , BEAD UP WITH ABOUT 60PSI AND THE SCHRADER REMOVED , PUT THE SCHRADER IN PUT WHATEVER PREASURE IN YOU LIKE , I USE MY RACE STANDS AND AXLES TO BALANCE MY TYRES , USE CHALK , YOULL FIGURE IT OUT , CAREFULL RIMS CAN BE EASILY DAMAGED[/QUOTE]

Hehe just lever off you say.... i do it often enough it looks simple but when you do it the first time expect to take a while. To protect your knuckles make sure you remove the sprocket or at least have it facing away from the side you are working on.

When ballancing it the heavy spot will end up at the bottom of the wheel. Just add a few weights at the top and spin it again. If it stops somewhere different try to spin it a few times. the more times it stops somewhere different the better balanced it is.[/QUOTE]
DID YOU EVER NOTICE THE METZLER,PIRELLI AND MICHELINS WERE THE EASYEST TO LEVER OFF AND ON THE DUNLOPS AND BRIDGESTONES WERE MUCH HARDER

Bonez
23rd January 2006, 19:06
DID YOU EVER NOTICE THE METZLER,PIRELLI AND MICHELINS WERE THE EASYEST TO LEVER OFF AND ON THE DUNLOPS AND BRIDGESTONES WERE MUCH HARDER
The very reason I've shuck with Michelins on my cb750 for the last 15 years.

R1madness
23rd January 2006, 19:08
Yea man. I dont like doin the bridgestones. Lucky i normally only do pirelli now.

erik
23rd January 2006, 19:22
Hehe just lever off you say.... i do it often enough it looks simple but when you do it the first time expect to take a while.
And the second time, and the third... :whistle:

It's kind of satisfying being able to do it yourself though.

Here's a guide thing that might be helpful:
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

WINJA
23rd January 2006, 19:48
Don't bother, tryed it once, it's a cunt and you'll just fuck your rims.

IF YOUR RIM IS IN NEED OF ATTENTION I OVERHEARD SPUDCHUCKER SAYING THAT SCUMDOG DOES GOOD RIM JOBS

Bonez
24th January 2006, 18:02
As Wayne mentioned a second set of rims could be the go. But to give you an example of how easy it CAN be done. I've just spent 15 mins changing a tyre on my spare 550 rim. It needs a tube so has an extra process compared to tubeless. Usually it took longer than that. I put down to having a better level of fitness than the last time I did it. Obviously lifting cold, hard steel for the last 6 months has had a beneficial effect.

Having a compressor handy is a good. They are cheap as chips these days. Heres a pic of what I used.

Oh and the tyre shop on Main street, over the road from the cemetery changes m/c tyres for $10. Phil Turnbal tyre prices include a fitting charge I believe.