darren
23rd March 2004, 09:52
how fast do you go
on the open road

interesting information on this one

darren

Hitcher
23rd March 2004, 10:53
This depends on the road conditions and the likely intervention of Joe Law, surely??

The "instant loss of licence" speeds that some here appear to favour would surely be just plain dumb for 97.25% of most of the riding that anybody does, yes??

Coldkiwi
23rd March 2004, 11:14
now before i answer that question... is this max speed ever or regular max speed?

darren
23rd March 2004, 11:17
lets say you went out for a ride with others
what would the std speed be that you feel
you do on a normal ride, say around martinbourgh

open roads

darren

James Deuce
23rd March 2004, 11:27
Depends on conditions traffic volume and the compnay. And my mental state. Sometimes 110 feels fine, other times speeds exceeding that will be maintained. Generally though I try to go round corners as fast as I can. Anyone can go flat out in a straight line.

Coldkiwi
23rd March 2004, 11:51

open roads

darren

well, in that case... :cool:

Motoracer
23rd March 2004, 12:08
Mate... don't leave me hanging alone guys. I know you c*nts kane it at 250+ on the open roads! :D Time to fess up :whistle:

Coldkiwi
23rd March 2004, 12:11
Mate... don't leave me hanging alone guys. I know you c*nts kane it at 250+ on the open roads! :D Time to fess up :whistle:
??

I Know NUSSSING! NUSSSSING!!!! :rolleyes:

aff-man
23rd March 2004, 13:45
All depends weather i'm behind CK and his radar or not if he looses me (quite a frequent ocurance) i stick dilligantly to 110 on open roads

Zed
23rd March 2004, 14:56
how fast do you go
on the open road

interesting information on this one

darren
You guys who just confessed in writing to breaking the law better be careful...Spud might just report you! :sneaky2:

Zed

Big Dog
23rd March 2004, 16:31
You guys who just confessed in writing to breaking the law better be careful...Spud might just report you! :sneaky2:

Zed
So we should all chang our profiles to reflect your lic and name for giving them the idea?

Information given in a poll cannot be used as evidence due to the fact people lie. Case in point you answer to this poll. either you lied in your answer or in hundreds of previous posts. :Pokey: :kick: :bleh:

Motoracer
23rd March 2004, 16:36
I usually average speeds of up to 345kmph on the weekend rides on my TZR 250. So how much will that be officer? :whistle:

Two Smoker
23rd March 2004, 16:44
I usually average speeds of up to 345kmph on the weekend rides on my TZR 250. So how much will that be officer? :whistle:
LOL, those two strokes are fast arent they.... hehehe. When on the open road i cruise at about 110-120kmh, sometimes 130-140 through sweepers but that means the power valves are open and are sucking through the gas more:( but yea generally around the 110-130 mark, not licence losing material and still quick enough to pass cars (but the speeds passing cars are a whole new thing......) But i know those speeds are no where near CK hehehe<_<

Wenier
23rd March 2004, 16:51
depends on mood who im with road conditions and weather but it can go to stupid speeds and the bigger the bike the stupidier it can get :)

White trash
23rd March 2004, 17:15
I can honestly say I've never been over 130kph.

In second gear.

On one wheel.

Coldkiwi
23rd March 2004, 17:18
All depends weather i'm behind CK and his radar or not if he looses me (quite a frequent ocurance) i stick dilligantly to 110 on open roads

yes... my radar detector... which is currently out of action following a little encounter with Botany road last night when it fell off and got run over by a few cars! dammit. I'll have to claim it on my contents insurance i guess :doh:

Firefight
23rd March 2004, 17:29
yes... my radar detector... which is currently out of action following a little encounter with Botany road last night when it fell off and got run over by a few cars! dammit. I'll have to claim it on my contents insurance i guess :doh:

Iam very confused, having followed you CK, albeit at at distance, and having viewed the poll, I can't help but think it must have been another CK that I followed :Pokey: , or maybe its just me ? :whistle:

Firefight :sneaky2:

Drunken Monkey
23rd March 2004, 17:31
Bad poll...I ticked all the boxes, as all the boxes are true. You won't find me riding over 100 on a 35km/h hirpin on the open road, just as easily as you will find me ducking in behind spank when he nails it on the miranda straights. Not 'fessing up to what speed that may or may not have been tho :bleh:

laRIKin
23rd March 2004, 17:40
The speed limit Officer, does that mean my speedo maybe wrong?
I'll get it checked on Monday. :whistle:

Zed
23rd March 2004, 18:05
So we should all chang our profiles to reflect your lic and name for giving them the idea?

Information given in a poll cannot be used as evidence due to the fact people lie. Case in point you answer to this poll. either you lied in your answer or in hundreds of previous posts. :Pokey: :kick: :bleh:
Oh dear! Can't you identify humor when you read it Big Dog?? Go to bed and get your beauty sleep dude...stay in bed for a whole month! :brick:

Zed
23rd March 2004, 18:07
Iam very confused, having followed you CK, albeit at at distance, and having viewed the poll, I can't help but think it must have been another CK that I followed :Pokey: , or maybe its just me ? :whistle:

Firefight :sneaky2:
True true...must be another CK lurking on this site somewhere? :whistle:

merv
23rd March 2004, 18:36
None of you guys go over 100km/hr do you its against the law?

Marknz
23rd March 2004, 18:52
I usually sit on 140, but have seen 240 on the 'storm. But of course that's indicated and i have no idea what the real speed was... probably closer to 220-225 i'm guessing.

Jackrat
23rd March 2004, 18:53
I don't think much about top speeds.
What I try to do is maintain an average speed.
I keep away from main highways but on the back roads I ride,I try to maintain
100kms at all times.Thats not as easy as it may sound,some of them corners you just have to slow for.I end up giving it heaps in the corners and cruising on the straights.When I do use the main highways I sit on 115kms and don't have any trouble keeping in front of other traffic.I find a lot of cars will go way over my speed but they never maintain it for any time before they get held up by others of their own kind. :D :2thumbsup

SPman
23rd March 2004, 19:14
If I can average 100k, touring, point to point (including fuel/food stops) Im reasonably happy.
That normally means steady 130-140+ on open roads were applicable....or more if possible....

much more!.......

SPman
23rd March 2004, 19:17
I find a lot of cars will go way over my speed but they never maintain it for any time before they get held up by others of their own kind. :D :2thumbsup
And dont you just love it......:laugh:

Posh Tourer :P
23rd March 2004, 19:29
Having a bike that doesnt like or enjoy being wound up the revs, I'd tend to stick to about 110 and try go as fast as poss round the corners (good call jackrat).... maximum fun for minimum loss.... Having said that, I'm not averse to getting up around a sustained 130 if I feel like it..... like when some remuera tractor thinks hes cool passing me on the straights and going tank speeds round the corners..... :angry2:

Main problem is that the straight bits between the corners are always too long...

Holy Roller
23rd March 2004, 20:56
Open road I usually sit on 110 - 120 depending on traffic the beauty is one is not held up by slower traffic, one just passes it maintaining a constant speed. Once in a while I like to blow out the cobwebs (on a secluded empty road in the middle of nowhere with little likelyhood of revenue gatherers being present.

DebK
23rd March 2004, 20:58
The scoot is as aerodynamic as a brick at times so when the chin of my helmet is knocking the bar as I attempt to stay out of the wind I can't see the speedo. Very easy to be up around the 120+ if I'm not concentrating on keeping the speed legal. And for any doubting Thomas', yes the scoot can get up to 140km (on the Italian speedo).

Off topic: Thanks to the guy (if you're on here) who gave me a wee wave today as he passed me around the LH sweeper leading up to Ngauranga Gorge (going Nth). Chick on the red Italjet Dragster 180 appreciated the acknowledgement - other scoots ignore me & never return a friendly gesture (around town) & some bikes wonder what the hell kinda insect-looking thing I'm sitting on :D

Motu
23rd March 2004, 21:17
I ride as fast as I can for the conditions on the roads I ride,but would seldom see 120kph.But on the open roads as asked,somewhere between 100 and 120kph,depending on wind really,without my screen on 120 is hard work in a head or cross wind,then I drop to 100,with the screen I can ride at any speed - but 120 is good...pick up and pass traffic,nearly all corners can be taken,or just a shut throttle to get the speed right - if you see a cop you can come down to 110 without drawing attention.At 120 my bikes on 5500rpm - max torque,do it all day effortlessly.

23rd March 2004, 21:24
Off topic: Thanks to the guy (if you're on here) who gave me a wee wave today as he passed me around the LH sweeper leading up to Ngauranga Gorge (going Nth). Chick on the red Italjet Dragster 180 appreciated the acknowledgement - other scoots ignore me & never return a friendly gesture (around town) & some bikes wonder what the hell kinda insect-looking thing I'm sitting on :D

While the Italjet is butt ugly, it at least approaches being a "real" motorcycle... I dont know about the safety of those tiny wee wheels when hitting a pothole/bump/other large object, but at least you dont have to push off with your feet to take off fast (I've seen it often). I dont understand the logic of getting a scooter like that though when you could get a motorbike new for the same price and what I percieve as the extra safety..... I'd certainly give a wave if I saw a scooter like that being ridden somewhere for the fun of it, I just dont understand scooter commuters on their 70 or 80cc machines.... you still need the same licence for it, why not go the whole hog and get a motorbike?

Motoracer
23rd March 2004, 21:31
While the Italjet is butt ugly, it at least approaches being a "real" motorcycle... I dont know about the safety of those tiny wee wheels when hitting a pothole/bump/other large object, but at least you dont have to push off with your feet to take off fast (I've seen it often). I dont understand the logic of getting a scooter like that though when you could get a motorbike new for the same price and what I percieve as the extra safety..... I'd certainly give a wave if I saw a scooter like that being ridden somewhere for the fun of it, I just dont understand scooter commuters on their 70 or 80cc machines.... you still need the same licence for it, why not go the whole hog and get a motorbike?

Are you Zed's mate by any chance? :D

DebK
23rd March 2004, 21:42
I searched far & wide for a Dragster 180 'cause that's what I wanted & haven't changed my opinion since I got it Sept last year. Paid $4K for it. I'm as happy as larry on it - it's very different & so far, no maintanence required. I live in the Johnsonville area (less than 10 mins from work on The Terrace) so really don't need a "real" bike at the moment. I daydream often of having a Brutale and would like to think it's a 2-year plan to get one. In the meantime, the scoot is me and the scoot is not your run of the mill wee wheeler. I like being different.

If I had found the Vespa I was originally after, I'd just be another scooter commuter. Too obvious.

Anyways, apologies for the detour off topic.

Wenier
23rd March 2004, 21:46
Well at least 8 ppl can be honest and say they travel at 160+ :), and a Vespa NO those are jus overgrown scooters, maybe they were feed too many steriods but whoever designed them was definitely on the P at the time :laugh:. Have fun all and keep it safe :)

laRIKin
23rd March 2004, 21:47
without my screen on 120 is hard work in a head or cross wind,then I drop to 100,with the screen I can ride at any speed - but 120 is good...pick up and pass traffic,nearly all corners can be taken,or just a shut throttle to get the speed right - if you see a cop you can come down to 110 without drawing attention.

I agree with you on that, in the old day when not many bikes had a fairing, 120 was the most you could ride at all day with out losing your neck.

I'm going to try riding with out a fairing again on my MKIII, mainly to slow
me down. And because I ride my KTM520 down at the river at speed, it's nice
to feel the wind again and not get the noise and buffering off the fairing.

23rd March 2004, 22:09
I searched far & wide for a Dragster 180 'cause that's what I wanted & haven't changed my opinion since I got it Sept last year. Paid $4K for it. I'm as happy as larry on it - it's very different & so far, no maintanence required. I live in the Johnsonville area (less than 10 mins from work on The Terrace) so really don't need a "real" bike at the moment. I daydream often of having a Brutale and would like to think it's a 2-year plan to get one. In the meantime, the scoot is me and the scoot is not your run of the mill wee wheeler. I like being different.

If I had found the Vespa I was originally after, I'd just be another scooter commuter. Too obvious.

I have had two small bikes and now have a BMW (read big lump) courtesy of wanting a tourer bike and not being able to find one, and building it from a bike wrecked for parts a while ago. I live about 15mins (on a good run) from Uni, but I'm right into bikes partly cos my parents have ridden for 30+ years, and partly cos they are more versatile.... I went to the coromandel on a MZ ETZ 250... now thats a fair trip on a bike that tops out at 80mph. Was a nice bike tho... did 100 comfortably... I wouldnt want to do that on a scooter of any sort...

But good on ya for the difference.... I'm the only young guy I know riding an airhead beemer (flat twin), and hey, I like it that way... incidentally, there arent many R65LS's in NZ and I think this one is one of the better examples...
Cant wait to do a few gymkhanas and the like... and eat up some of those gravel roads...eat my dust sport-bikers :cool:

RiderInBlack
23rd March 2004, 22:23
OK, guilty:whistle: , but tend to only do that on roads that I have a good veiw on, with faviourable conditions and not everytime I ride the bike. Have four straights on the home back roads (very little traffic and not very often policed) that I will open up on to see how the bike is going. Tops on I had on the GXSR250 was 160KPM. The VRF750 speedo went to 190KPM and I had had it well past that mark (well over 200KPM). The CBR1000F speedo is in MPH which so far I have had to 140MPH (you work it out) and it's got more yet.

I have lost my licence twice due to too many demerit points. All from speeding. None for speeds exceeding 125KPM. First time was over ten years ago and all from "cages" (delivering late pizzas in my old XA Falcon). Last time was in 2002 from my bikes. Have not got any tickets (Touch Wood) since getting my lience back.

Don't do runners. Always pay my fines. But cann't ever see me not going over 100KPM ever again.

jimbo600
23rd March 2004, 22:54
I usually sit on 140, but have seen 240 on the 'storm. But of course that's indicated and i have no idea what the real speed was... probably closer to 220-225 i'm guessing.

Surely you couldn't get 240 out of that old twin of yours. You want a gixxer thou you do.

marty
24th March 2004, 00:26
pretty much sit at 110 - 140. rode into h-town at licence losing speed yesterday just for a laff though. i often ride the back road past the airport - no-man's land out there........

i too like to keep my average speed up - got to on the 2 smoker - keeping it on the pipe....although 3rd gear on the pipe is between 120 and 160, sometimes it's too quick for the road conditions, and in 2nd on the power band the back wants to step out all the time - no lazy power there

(mmmmmmTLRmmmmmmm)

Coldkiwi
24th March 2004, 09:33
what can I say... i'm a wuss about admitting reckless behaviour! I'm such a nice boy after all :innocent: - I wouldn't do 160+!

Big Dog
24th March 2004, 18:08
Oh dear! Can't you identify humor when you read it Big Dog?? Go to bed and get your beauty sleep dude...stay in bed for a whole month! :brick: Ahem, you appear to be talking about yourself here. I replied in jest to your jest.

Pity. :cold:

MikeL
24th March 2004, 18:44
You guys on your fully-faired, aerodynamically perfect sports bikes gliding along in your little bubble of calm air - no wonder you risk losing your licence. You should try riding a naked bike. Anything over 140 requires concentration, over 160 needs real determination and over 180 is only possible if you spend long hours in the gym bulking up your neck and arm muscles.
But I wouldn't have it any other way...

aff-man
24th March 2004, 18:45
You don't do 160+ CK .............

you only pass other people doing it :shake:

Two Smoker
24th March 2004, 21:50
But good on ya for the difference.... I'm the only young guy I know riding an airhead beemer (flat twin), and hey, I like it that way... incidentally, there arent many R65LS's in NZ and I think this one is one of the better examples...
Cant wait to do a few gymkhanas and the like... and eat up some of those gravel roads...eat my dust sport-bikers :cool:
But then when you following me on my 150 through the waitakere's you seem to be eating my two stroke smoke...... :whistle:

Wenier
25th March 2004, 07:51
Thems sounds like fighting words Two Smoker are we gonna see a showdown between you and Posh Tourer :)

25th March 2004, 07:51
Certainly I can accelerate faster without dropping it down 3 gears first...... my cornering speed isnt up there when you start to really push it tho... I just start scraping

Angry Puppy
25th March 2004, 08:42
How fast? Who cares! A trained monkey with wanker's cramp in his right hand could spank it on a straight line!

Now the real questions you should be asking is 'who's got their knee down?' (me, not yet but working on it) and 'how big are your chicken strips?' (erm, too big!)

Fazer bloke

Coldkiwi
25th March 2004, 13:20
now look here aff.... the original question was 'how fast would you normally go'... and my votes are how fast I normally go. (I do a lot of weekday riding remember so my % of time in that ultimate licence loosing bracket is pretty small!)

duckman
25th March 2004, 13:39
I've voted for the "110-130" field which would be my normal riding speed (on the open road) but there have been times (not too many) where I've had a peek to see what the world looks like at a smingen over 220kph. - By the way it's blurry and loud!! :crazy:

RiderInBlack
25th March 2004, 20:29
now look here aff.... the original question was 'how fast would you normally go'... and my votes are how fast I normally go. (I do a lot of weekday riding remember so my % of time in that ultimate licence loosing bracket is pretty small!)
Gezz CK, cann't see "normally" :wacko: menationed anywere in the voting poll question ("how fast do you go on the open road?"). I just took it as top speed done on the open rode:whistle: . I mostly cruise around 110-130KPM. Maybe I need to change my asnwer:whocares: :beer: .

riffer
26th March 2004, 01:48
I just took it as top speed done on the open rode. .
Crikey - I reckon we'll all need to change our answers if that's the case. I bet there's very few of us here who haven't reached the absolute top speed of their motorcycle at least once ;)

Coldkiwi
26th March 2004, 10:42

open roads

darren

not true... its on the first page! just kinda depends on whether i'm riding with cars or fast bikers :)

DEATH_INC.
26th March 2004, 11:01
When riding with the normal (?) bunch I ride with we generally sit around 180ish most of the time......though most of our wheelies are generally in the 180-200 area.....depends on where yer riding too,and what,on the ZX12 I usta regularly see 300+ catching up after a series of windys.....

Big Dog
26th March 2004, 17:14
Crikey - I reckon we'll all need to change our answers if that's the case. I bet there's very few of us here who haven't reached the absolute top speed of their motorcycle at least once ;)
I haven't. I can live with a speed limit better than I can live without a bike again. Besides It makes me shudder the thought of trying to pull up 500kgs -combined rider / bike weight- from the 220kmph plus my bike is capable of.
IMHO (despite past transgressions) speeds that could cost you your license belong on the track. :shake:

Two Smoker
26th March 2004, 17:27
Thems sounds like fighting words Two Smoker are we gonna see a showdown between you and Posh Tourer :)LOL theres been a few show downs,

i leave hime behind in the corners,

he leaves me on the line till my power valves kick in

and when we go up hills he leaves his bike in 5th gear while i frantically find the right gear for the hill lol..

27th March 2004, 08:50
LOL theres been a few show downs,

i leave hime behind in the corners,

he leaves me on the line till my power valves kick in

and when we go up hills he leaves his bike in 5th gear while i frantically find the right gear for the hill lol..

Lol yep thats about it... and we get home after 4 hrs and I'm happy as larry and TS has sore muscles

Have made it from Kaukapakapa to Wellsford basically without leaving 5th gear

Rocket
27th March 2004, 11:48
Well i'll just you watch a little QT movie i took of my riding when i was in sweden over the holidays. you be the judge.

http://firefly.ibk.se/~linus/ghost/ghosttrailer.mov
http://firefly.ibk.se/~linus/ghost/ghostrider2.mov
http://firefly.ibk.se/~linus/gr2/GW_trailer1.mpg
http://firefly.ibk.se/~linus/gr2/GW_trailer2.mpg
http://firefly.ibk.se/~linus/gr2/GW_trailer3.mpg

Wenier
29th March 2004, 16:55
Well i'll just you watch a little QT movie i took of my riding when i was in sweden over the holidays. you be the judge.

http://firefly.ibk.se/~linus/ghost/ghosttrailer.mov
http://firefly.ibk.se/~linus/ghost/ghostrider2.mov
http://firefly.ibk.se/~linus/gr2/GW_trailer1.mpg
http://firefly.ibk.se/~linus/gr2/GW_trailer2.mpg
http://firefly.ibk.se/~linus/gr2/GW_trailer3.mpg

So ur saying ur ghostrider, or u trying to say something else cus "Well i'll just you watch" doesnt make sense dude :)

White trash
29th March 2004, 17:05
:laugh: Holy Shit! Who the hell are you to question others grammer? :laugh:

Wenier
29th March 2004, 18:40
i no mines shit i jus want to understand where he coming from. God dam give me shit WT ill get ya back on Thursday