PDA

View Full Version : Try out your roads

bgd
23rd March 2004, 10:03
Well I've driven them plenty of times but never ridden them. But this trip will be different. Leaving the bike at the airport but have to take my gear with me so will end up in NZ with full leathers and a lid. So no excuse not to rent a GS and try out those Canterbury roads for myself.

Two concerns:

I've heard all about your summer ( but it will be good in April)
I've seen how your cages drive :rolleyes:

James Deuce
23rd March 2004, 10:16
April will be OK, possibly chilly in the morning.

Cages are easier to dodge on a 'bike than in a car. :)

Don't forget to say hello on the way through!

Just remember to give way to the right on uncontrolled intersections (which could arguably be considered as all of them :))

Cheers

Jim2

wari
23rd March 2004, 10:16
Well I've driven them plenty of times but never ridden them. But this trip will be different. Leaving the bike at the airport but have to take my gear with me so will end up in NZ with full leathers and a lid. So no excuse not to rent a GS and try out those Canterbury roads for myself.

Two concerns:

I've heard all about your summer ( but it will be good in April)
I've seen how your cages drive :rolleyes:

Good luck mate ... I'll have a word with the maori snow god down there and see if he'll hold off for a week or two. :spudwave: :sunny:

Hitcher
23rd March 2004, 10:56
Wear lots of layers. I recommend superfine merino. It gets cold in the South Island from now on. The autumn colours are just turning and it will be stunning down there in about a month's time... Sigh...

wari
23rd March 2004, 11:03
Wear lots of layers. I recommend superfine merino. ...

mixed with possum fur if you can ...

Hitcher
23rd March 2004, 12:44
mixed with possum fur if you can ...

Ohhh!! My nipples have hardened!

bgd
23rd March 2004, 20:32
I can just see me wearing a couple of possum skins over here, the animal rights people would take a very keen interest in that!

I'll pack my possum down socks but having just come through a pretty cold UK winter I think I should find the NZ autumn to my liking.

wari
24th March 2004, 07:08
Ohhh!! My nipples have hardened!

Thats ok ... so long as thats all thats hardened ... :sweatdrop

Wenier
24th March 2004, 07:28
I can just see me wearing a couple of possum skins over here, the animal rights people would take a very keen interest in that!

I'll pack my possum down socks but having just come through a pretty cold UK winter I think I should find the NZ autumn to my liking.

ya shouldnt have to worry about that over here cus u can buy some awesome possum skin lined vests and stuff downsouth. They are some wicked vests keep ya real warm cost alot thou. :)

bgd
2nd May 2004, 08:26
Just back from 3 weeks in NZ. Family commitments prevented me from renting a bike while there. I did try one place (was walking past) but they would only rent out their big bikes for a minimum 3 days. Had a wonderful time. Spent all my time in Chch and surrounds. I envy your space and roads. I'll have to spend more time out there in the future - and rent a bike.

laRIKin
2nd May 2004, 09:16
Well mate that was a 007 visit. ;)
Been and gone, and no one new. :Pokey:

By the way a mate of mine is coming home (next Sunday)
after being in the UK for about 8 years.

MD
2nd May 2004, 10:33
Sorry to hear you didn't get to experience the Sth Island roads like Arthurs Pass, the Lake district and all the rest at Christchurch's back door. I spent a year riding in Britain and you would have enjoyed the change i.e. great open roads with no traffic. Maybe next time.

Lou Girardin
3rd May 2004, 06:56
Just back from 3 weeks in NZ. Family commitments prevented me from renting a bike while there. I did try one place (was walking past) but they would only rent out their big bikes for a minimum 3 days. Had a wonderful time. Spent all my time in Chch and surrounds. I envy your space and roads. I'll have to spend more time out there in the future - and rent a bike.

At the risk of getting commercial, PM me next time. I'll do a rental for a day, a week, whatever.
Lou