PDA

View Full Version : Basic handling skills…?

Rosie
24th January 2006, 11:11
What sorts of things do I need to know/learn for the basic handling skills certificate? I've been doing some practise around the car parks at work, and want to make sure I'm on the right track.

The LTSA website goes into great detail about the full licence test, but is suitably vague about the rest of the licensing process.

So, any pearls of wisdom from people who have recently got their licence?
I know I'm probably worrying too much, but I'm that kind of person. Thus I want to be prepared, lest I become stressed and have a meltdown at the handling skills course.

Ta.
Rosie
Not-quite L-plated rider

deathstar
24th January 2006, 11:13
well i had no bike experience AT ALL and it took a long while to get the clutch control which was where i almost failed but if i had that then yeah should pass with flying colours

MidnightMike
24th January 2006, 11:14
You dont need to know much, its very simple all you're doing is weaving in between cones, stopping ,indicating while turning, riding at walking pace and pulling stoppies, ok maybe not the last one :shifty:

yungatart
24th January 2006, 11:16
Get a copy of the road code for m/c.It tells you all you need to know

Rosie
24th January 2006, 12:01
You dont need to know much, its very simple all you're doing is weaving in between cones, stopping ,indicating while turning, riding at walking pace and pulling stoppies, ok maybe not the last one :shifty:

Yeah, having trouble with stoppies. Not through lack of encouragement from Mr Rosie though. :whistle:

sunhuntin
24th January 2006, 12:03
mine was cone weave, indicate when turning [both ways] and stopping in a corner [both ways] also slow riding, and emergency stop [at a speed of 20k, some emergency stop speed, lol] pretty easy really...took i think half an hour.

MidnightMike
24th January 2006, 12:03
Yeah, having trouble with stoppies. Not through lack of encouragement from Mr Rosie though. :whistle:

What about wheelies? that light little two smoker of yours should do the trick :ride:

GN1NiteStnd
24th January 2006, 13:35
Yeah mine had several cone weaves and an emergency stop, nothing with indicators though. Although I didnt have to do the emergency stop cause I was having so much trouble taking off on the bike I was given. Apparently the bike I had been learning on had way more torque (I could get it moving with the clutch alone). So yeah when it came to the test bike I didnt just have to use just a little throttle, I had to use lots. Must of set a new stalling record

Big Chim
24th January 2006, 17:01
I found i had to practice the cones alot, i was practicing on a GN250 and the bikes the instructor provided are 125's, from what i hear its a hell of a lot easier to do on the 125. I almost missed it when i sat it on the 250 but pulled it through. the rest was pretty basic, Just practice heaps

sunhuntin
24th January 2006, 17:41
i used a gn as well....found the cones tricky, even though the guy who took me set the cones out as wide as he could get away with. he said its cos they are quite long bikes. might pay to practise some cone weaves before you go, thats something i nearly failed on.

Ixion
24th January 2006, 18:02
Why do they have this obsession with cones. In all my years of riding I don't think I've ever had to dodge around cones, or anything resembling them. I don't see the relevance for road riding. Trials riding , maybe.

Scorpygirl
24th January 2006, 18:12
Cones were a nightmare on the Virago 250 as they are not set for bikes with a long wheel rake. The instructor tried to do at the correct LTSA setting and he failed miserably!!! :lol: :ar15: So how the F was I supposed to do it! :blip: He learnt a big lesson!!! :spudbn:

sunhuntin
24th January 2006, 18:22
Why do they have this obsession with cones. In all my years of riding I don't think I've ever had to dodge around cones, or anything resembling them. I don't see the relevance for road riding. Trials riding , maybe.

closest ive come to cones would be clusters of sunken manholes! or level manholes in the wet, lol.

Hitcher
24th January 2006, 18:27
Don't fall off, or your instructor will fail you and you'll have to repeat the course. Good luck!

Big Chim
24th January 2006, 18:35
Also find out how much you can get away with in the test adn use that to your advantage. I think in our test if you put one foot down but completed the cones in control you could pass as long as everything else was sweet

Deviant Esq
24th January 2006, 18:52
Some guys are better than others I've found. The guy who took me for my basic handling did it after hours because I was working on the days they usually did it. He was really good - I'd never ridden a fully manual bike at the time so I took a bit of time getting used to it. At least it was a CG125 - easier to get around the cones than a GN250. Passed without any hitches, though I didn't have to use indicators and was allowed several "practice" passes at the corners before "this one counts!".

:niceone:

El Dopa
24th January 2006, 20:55
What sorts of things do I need to know/learn for the basic handling skills certificate? I've been doing some practise around the car parks at work, and want to make sure I'm on the right track.

The LTSA website goes into great detail about the full licence test, but is suitably vague about the rest of the licensing process.

So, any pearls of wisdom from people who have recently got their licence?
I know I'm probably worrying too much, but I'm that kind of person. Thus I want to be prepared, lest I become stressed and have a meltdown at the handling skills course.

Ta.
Rosie
Not-quite L-plated rider

If you're already practising, and already able to handle a bike reasonably well in a carpark, then you're already overqualified for the practical bit of the BHS

ducatilover
24th January 2006, 21:51
mine was cone weave, indicate when turning [both ways] and stopping in a corner [both ways] also slow riding, and emergency stop [at a speed of 20k, some emergency stop speed, lol] pretty easy really...took i think half an hour.
and stop with your front wheel in the box and then put your feet down after you have stopped:scooter:

metric
24th January 2006, 21:54
yeah

did mine about four months ago, consists of cone weaving, long figure eights (looking ahead of you), emergency braking etc

not very difficult at all, you'll be sweet as

ducatilover
24th January 2006, 21:58
yup, piece of piss anint it? it was the first time i had to try hard at riding:Punk: :rofl: :ride: a group of three poms all failed cos they were putting their feet down and one fell over and another nearly flipped the little 50cc with auto clutch and drum brakes! fucken pathetic:angry2:

Rosie
25th January 2006, 07:30
and stop with your front wheel in the box and then put your feet down after you have stopped:scooter:

I've been practising pulling up to a line while stopping, but always end up stopping about a metre behind the line. Far better than stopping a metre past the line, but could probably do with more practise. When it stops raining.

ducatilover
25th January 2006, 11:15
I've been practising pulling up to a line while stopping, but always end up stopping about a metre behind the line. Far better than stopping a metre past the line, but could probably do with more practise. When it stops raining.
its fairly easy cos you only have to go really slow:baby: :scooter:

El Dopa
25th January 2006, 19:08

Well, that's probably better than mine when I sat the basic.

The instructor told us to keep accelerating towards him as long as he kept waving us forward. Well, he kept waving, so I kept on accelerating. He dived out of the way in the end, while I came to a neat stop in the box. a pity he'd just finished telling us he'd never had to jump for it. There's a first time for everything.

Seriously though, they make it quite difficult for you to fail the basic, so you'll be sweet.

Colapop
25th January 2006, 19:14
Seriously, the best you can do is stay calm. There's nothing to freak out about. It sounds like you're doing all the right thins so far. Check here;
www.stephensdrivingschool.co.nz they've got a list of the things you get taught on the course. The guy that did mine was really relaxed and it made a big difference.

Fireproof
26th January 2006, 21:10
It pays to shop around a bit when it comes to the courses. Theres a huge variance in price between instructors, some include the bike, others you need to hire them, some give you about an hour practice (you pay for it) others go straight into the test. I paid $70 (John Wright i think) and basically went straight into the test and passed no worries.
If you are confident with the controls and balance at low speed it's really ridculously easy. It has been the time spent on the road on my learners that has really counted. The BHS test is merely a formality, i was honestly surprised it wasn't harder.
I think the current system sleeps easier at night knowing that they are 'assessing' new riders. In reality I imagine many riders come out of the BHS test in no state to be let loose on our roads...

Big Chim
26th January 2006, 21:15
I paid $70 (John Wright i think) and basically went straight into the test and passed no worries. .

Where is he located??

I went through Ward FIsher, cant remember how much that cost though

sunhuntin
26th January 2006, 21:56
Where is he located??

i cant recall the name of who i did it with, but i needed it for part of a course, so winz covered the learners side for me. nearly due for my restricted, just need to get moolah to do so.

cousa1
27th January 2006, 09:30
The place down here in Christchurch has a scooter for use for the basic handling that makes it a little easier.

Fireproof
29th January 2006, 07:47
Where is he located??

Hey is based in Grey Lynn, the test i did was opposite red baron motorcycles. I think his no. is listed on the Honda NZ website

DirtMad
29th January 2006, 14:58
did my handling skills last week :first:

got to use their bike for "free" and i think if you fail you can go resit for "free" too. http://www.riderskills.co.nz/ the course and the test plus a bike to use is $99

swt :done:

ducatilover
29th January 2006, 21:41
when i did my basic it was at phill turnbull in palmy and it cost me $35:Punk:
but then i had the fairy bittty bob to do:shifty:

.produKt
1st February 2006, 17:09
Actually when i sat mine, i did the turns while indicating, riding at walking pace as straight as i could, etc etc and all the other stuff
the only thing i did differently was the stopping test, i had a 1 metre long box that i had to stop in from 60km/h.... and would have failed if you lock up -_-

So its different seeing as where you go. And i went to the allstar driving school here in chch :)