PDA

View Full Version : hollow 'popping' noise..??

bugjuice
24th January 2006, 12:29
not totally sure what it is, or if it's a potential problem.

When the bike is still cool from starting up (never ride off until the temp shows), up to 5 minutes into the ride, I hear a pop from the right hand side of the bike, like I've just run over a rock on the road. The pop is like a hollow 'tire-like' pop, but I've not hit anything and I know the road is clear. So it kind of points to the header pipes possibly? But what would cause it? There's a ticking in the engine at the moment, so could a valve not closing enough, allow the detonation to come thru? I think I might have just answered myself actually.

Anyway, any other thoughts or possibilities? The bike has had a good life and is coming up to 24,000kms, so it's going for valve checks etc in it's service coming up soon.

What potential damage could it be doing to the head, piston etc? It's always been run easy until it gets to running temp (around 65° upwards), and it's rarely bounced off the redline. Most of the time, the bike is changed around 12-14,000 when going hard, and behaves around town.

It's all stock too, no mods - yet :devil2:

cowpoos
24th January 2006, 13:14
I get a hollow popping noise after eating coldslaw the day before....what do u put in the tank?

bugjuice
24th January 2006, 13:17
i doubt that's hollow sometimes..

fuel, idiot. what else goes in there? always 95 minimum tho ;)

scumdog
24th January 2006, 13:18
not totally sure what it is, or if it's a potential problem.

When the bike is still cool from starting up (never ride off until the temp shows), up to 5 minutes into the ride, I hear a pop from the right hand side of the bike, like I've just run over a rock on the road. The pop is like a hollow 'tire-like' pop, but I've not hit anything and I know the road is clear. So it kind of points to the header pipes possibly? But what would cause it? There's a ticking in the engine at the moment, so could a valve not closing enough, allow the detonation to come thru? I think I might have just answered myself actually.

Anyway, any other thoughts or possibilities? The bike has had a good life and is coming up to 24,000kms, so it's going for valve checks etc in it's service coming up soon.

What potential damage could it be doing to the head, piston etc? It's always been run easy until it gets to running temp (around 65° upwards), and it's rarely bounced off the redline. Most of the time, the bike is changed around 12-14,000 when going hard, and behaves around town.

It's all stock too, no mods - yet :devil2:

Hmmm, if it was on the right-hand side and on a Harley I would say your mixture was too lean for the still too cold engine (if carbureted then needs more choke)- but it's not on the right hand side and it's not on a Harley!!
But could be similar problem - check for a vacuum leak at an intake gasket or similar.

HDTboy
24th January 2006, 14:47
It's probably just a small backfire BJ

Bleck K6
24th January 2006, 23:30
One of your exhaust gaskets arent leaking?,That would cause a ticking noise.

Sniper
26th January 2006, 11:59
Your bike is broken, give it to me.

bugjuice
26th January 2006, 12:17
One of your exhaust gaskets arent leaking?,That would cause a ticking noise.
have been thinking about that, since you mentioned it, but no, I don't think it is now. I had thought that may be a stone had punched a hole in the header, but it's not that type of noise.

And Gav, it shouldn't be backfiring!
I reckon the injectors are probably just dirty, or the plug (s) need replacing cos it's not firing right

oh well, big service when I can afford it, so should be almost a new bike when I get it back

And snipe, need I answer that? <_<

deathstar
26th January 2006, 12:21
did you leave pop corn in your exhaust because i hear that gets annoying

Hitcher
26th January 2006, 12:27
Hollow popping noise? It's probably my broken collarbone. Here, let me do it for you now...

HDTboy
26th January 2006, 15:08
Bring it to me, I'll take it for a ride and tell you my professional opinion.
I won't charge you for the diagnosis either

Qkchk
26th January 2006, 15:27
As the boys have said, sounds like a valve / timing problem.......... maybe a earlier service may be order?

Postie
26th January 2006, 15:32
do you keep running over under proportioned bull frogs???

bugjuice
26th January 2006, 21:36
service booked. Thinking about it a little more, and knowing where the valve noise is coming from, I think it's just detonation coming thru the header. The clearance check should sort that out when it has open-heart surgery at Spectrum (highly highly recommended kwaka shop btw)

wari
27th January 2006, 09:45
RI-ding o-ver bubble wrapp .. :sherlock:

:drinkup:

DUnno .. justan i-deer .. :spudflip:

SOrry .. iffitts all-ready ben said .. :spudwave:

bugjuice
27th January 2006, 09:59
ahh yeah.. I'll look out for dat :wacko: