PDA

View Full Version : 20th Grand Challenge 15th -16th Oct 06

justsomeguy
24th January 2006, 18:11
Hello,

Are there any of you who would like to enter this years Grand Challenge??

The Grand Challenge (http://www.rustynuts.co.nz/default.aspx?PageID=79)

20th Grand Challenge Entry Form (http://www.rustynuts.co.nz/default.aspx?PageID=41) Thanks RIB for the links.

If possible I would like to meet up with a few of you riders and prepare for this event.

I know there is a long time until the event in October. But if we try and organise say one long ride every month or two we have around 5 - 7 chances to actually practice for the ride, which is not a lot if you look at it that way.

I'm not talking about formally organising something at this stage. I would just like to hear from some KB'ers who would like to enter this event and be keen to go on a few long day rides to start out with and then longer rides as we get more practice (or I get more practice).

It would also be great if some of you would like to start thinking of forming a small team of riders from the General Auckland/Northland/Waikato area and practice that way.

Kind Regards,
Justsomeguy

bugjuice
24th January 2006, 18:17
where does it go?
1000 miles in 24 hrs averages around 67kph. Hope sleep isn't mandatory!

I did nearly a thousand miles on my bike 2 up the other weekend. That was a killer. But that was 2 up, this wouldn't be..
tempting

justsomeguy
24th January 2006, 18:27
......................Checklist to come here later..................

Qkchk
24th January 2006, 18:30
You can count me and Custard in! Have been reading those threads you and RIB have been throwing @ me and I cant wait!! Practise starts this weekend, up to the cape and back :lol:

The challenge is solo only Buggy so you will have to get Ladybug a bike ;)

XP@
24th January 2006, 19:40
where does it go?
1000 miles in 24 hrs averages around 67kph. Hope sleep isn't mandatory!

I did nearly a thousand miles on my bike 2 up the other weekend. That was a killer. But that was 2 up, this wouldn't be..
tempting
The rules are you don't do this ride 2 up.
I've done it three times, hopefully this time will be #4...

It is a hard ride, a lot of it at night and the roads you have to follow are not always the ones you would choose to follow. That is why it is called the "Grand Challenge". But, when you are all done and the pain in your back side subsides the feeling of accomplishment is just AMAZING. The yanks also like doing thousand milers, but their idea of following interstates for a 1000miles is a world away from fields track and wiarapa back roads.

The ride is not for everyone, some say "why" others "why not" you will know which one you are...

Bonez
24th January 2006, 19:45

It is a hard ride, a lot of it at night and the roads you have to follow are not always the ones you would choose to follow. That is why it is called the "Grand Challenge". But, when you are all done and the pain in your back side subsides the feeling of accomplishment is just AMAZING. The yanks also like doing thousand milers, but their idea of following interstates for a 1000miles is a world away from fields track and wiarapa back roads.

The ride is not for everyone, some say "why" others "why not" you will know which one you are...
Doing the loop of the south island in a weekend is fun........................

bugjuice
24th January 2006, 20:04

funny you should say that, I was talking to someone about it, and they said why. I said why not... The road is there, don't think I've got anything else on that weekend.

I actually wonder if I could make it, but I can't initially see why not. hell, I think I'd be up for it. When does rego close?

cowboyz
24th January 2006, 20:13
the idea is there. seed is planted. I am a little hesitant. Would love to do it but not sure I want to do it on my gsx6. will do more thinking before october.

Warr
24th January 2006, 20:19
Warr from here entered last year and finished the ride in 17hrs and 45 mins. However Warr is one of the fastest and smoothest riders on KB so he's not the best person for the rest of us to use as a benchmark.
Do I hide or what... Rep coming your way JSG.

Guess there were contributing factors to a good time.

1. I originally thought I would ride with a few other guys I knew, 'you know, what if' I get a flat or run out of gas. The reality is, If you were to have a problem, they are all bikers out there. You have 100 other riders that I'm sure would give you a hand.
So instead of waiting for my mates I rode at my own pace.

2. There is a lot of night riding, there is NO substitute for GOOD lights and Night PRACTISE. Extra lights, if your alternator can handle it, or relays if none fitted.

3. I trusted my X50.. if you get the idea.

miSTa
24th January 2006, 20:20
Time for a South Island invasion. Been thinking about for a few years - this is the year!

bugjuice
24th January 2006, 21:31
I was thinking about some extra spots mounted on the side, pointing up and out slightly..
It's definitely growing on me.
It's open to any type of rider and any type of bike willing, isn't it..?? For some reason, I keep thinking that the only type of bikes running are the good ol' timers, and sprot bikes aren't as.... well don't want to say it, but not as welcomed..

mangell6
24th January 2006, 21:36
Why Not! There is a practise run in March if anyone is interested. :2thumbsup

mangell6
24th January 2006, 21:48
I was thinking about some extra spots mounted on the side, pointing up and out slightly..
It's definitely growing on me.
It's open to any type of rider and any type of bike willing, isn't it..?? For some reason, I keep thinking that the only type of bikes running are the good ol' timers, and sprot bikes aren't as.... well don't want to say it, but not as welcomed..

Last year there were SV1000's, R1s, one of the riders who has completed ALL nineteen rides has done most if not all on a sprots bike. If you want you could do it on a Kawasaki 250 sprots bike, a scooter, or if you are really sad an armchair.

Don't think, just fill in the entry form and send it in with the cheque and return envelope.

bugjuice
24th January 2006, 21:54
what's the run in march?
yeah, I'm pretty keen on this. Even thinking about asking for a bit of sponsorship to make it a little lighter on the load!!

mangell6
24th January 2006, 22:25
Try the www.rustynuts.co.nz web site.

RiderInBlack
25th January 2006, 07:09
Last year there were SV1000's, R1s, .....Yep Steve from Whangarei was riding an R1 for the last one. He was playing with me all throught the night (see my report RIB's GC Ride Report (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=18905) ). He had enough time to have a sit down dinner and breakfast with his wife (who was staying in Rotovas) and still finnished at the same time I did (18 1/2hrs):shit: .

Holy Roller
25th January 2006, 08:08
or if you are really sad an armchair.

At least I only started getting a sore butt in the last 1/2 hour. Oh yeah and on those long straightish bits in the middle of the night,the stereo kept good company. Anything but SAD:Pokey: :dodge:

Beemer
25th January 2006, 08:20
My husband's done all 19 of them along with Cameron (the one who does it on a sports bike) and he will be back again this year. He's on an old R100RS but he still manages to finish the ride in about 18 hours. It's been done on a scooter, there are always Goldwings, plus all sorts of bikes and riders.

It's not a race, and it can be done by most riders easily within the 24 hours. Not me though, I'm not a "why?" person, I can understand the appeal, but I'm definitely a "not for me" person!

bugjuice
25th January 2006, 08:50
Yep Steve from Whangarei was riding an R1 for the last one. He was playing with me all throught the night (see my report RIB's GC Ride Report (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=18905) ). He had enough time to have a sit down dinner and breakfast with his wife (who was staying in Rotovas) and still finnished at the same time I did (18 1/2hrs):shit: .
awesome write up.
Don't know if it scares me or excites me..

justsomeguy
25th January 2006, 08:54
Do I hide or what... Rep coming your way JSG.

Hey any fella that can keep up with Death_Inc and LooseBruce on a GSXR 750 and 1000 on a 1984 Yamaha 900 has my respect --- anyway.......

You planning on doing it this year??

I read about the chap who did it on a ZZR250 - my old bike. That must have taken a bit of flat out (max bike speed) 150kmph riding.

justsomeguy
25th January 2006, 08:56
I don't think I've got anything else on that weekend.

Buggy I think you'd need to allow for around 3-4 days off depending on your fitness level.

The last time I tried a long drive (sorry I didn't know bout bikes then) it took me nearly two days to "get it all together".

bugjuice
25th January 2006, 09:08
I'm not too bad at the moment. A good test was the other weekend. Friday night left Auckland at 6pm. Got to Fielding (Palmerston North nearly) at 1.20am, raced around Manfield track from 9am until 3pm, chilled a little that afternoon, rode back to auckland leaving 11am and arrived around 6pm. Tidied the house up, did washing etc, went to bed, went to work the next day.. riding for <24hrs would be a hard test, but I think I'm up for it

justsomeguy
25th January 2006, 09:15
I'm not too bad at the moment. A good test was the other weekend. Friday night left Auckland at 6pm. Got to Fielding (Palmerston North nearly) at 1.20am, raced around Manfield track from 9am until 3pm, chilled a little that afternoon, rode back to auckland leaving 11am and arrived around 6pm. Tidied the house up, did washing etc, went to bed, went to work the next day.. riding for <24hrs would be a hard test, but I think I'm up for it

Knowing you, I'm sure you'd be able to pull off riding to the GC - doing it then riding back - then going to work the very next day, it's just your choice how comfortable you want the trip to be.

Taking 4 days off

1 to ride there and rest.
2 -3 To do the GC (3pm-3pm)
4 To get another nights sleep and then head back.

Is just a bit more comfortable that's all.

bugjuice
25th January 2006, 09:21
where's the start/finish?
oh, it was 2up too. big ups to Kelly ;)

justsomeguy
25th January 2006, 09:22
where's the start/finish?
oh, it was 2up too. big ups to Kelly ;)

Go to the first post - click the links and read up.

Poor Kelly - tough love huh??

bugjuice
25th January 2006, 09:23
yeah, read where, just got no idea where that is..

justsomeguy
25th January 2006, 09:32
yeah, read where, just got no idea where that is..

Hmmm... you just want to be spoon fed right, can't click the links and read up yourself......:eyepoke:

http://www.rustynuts.co.nz/default.aspx?PageID=79

Starts in Turangi which is around half-way between Auckland and Wellington.

bugjuice
25th January 2006, 09:38
no, it's that I didn't know where Turangi was. But now I do.

justsomeguy
25th January 2006, 11:25
Can those of you who've done it before please give us some indication of the general costs involved.

So far I've come up with:
Entry Fee: $65
Tyres: $500 (I was told your bike needs to be able to do around 3200+ kms on the set of tyres you start with.
Oil/Filter: $60
Petrol: $200-$250+ from your house to back to your house
Accom/Food/Misc: $100

All these add up to almost $1K, if you need a set of chain and sprockets that would be about $250+ (including fitting).

Bearings, brake pads/fluid, maybe spark plugs............$100-$300??......

bugjuice
25th January 2006, 11:45
A lot of that cost will depend on your bike. RIBs Rox, his report says he can cover 320kms safely with some left. I can only cover 230kms at a push. I figured I'd have to stop 9 times, and that's just the rally. Getting there and back is extra. My filter is about $15, but my oil is around $80+. Tyres, yeah around $500. Accom/food/misc - don't sleep, don't eat, don't misc, you'll save heaps. Brake stuff - my pads alone are around $75 per pair? Sparks are $60 odd each.. All adds up. And it's a safe bet to have a shop do a full service to be sure, the week before.

It's gonna cost each person, something different. But yeah, a rough idea and any clues on anything missed would be nice

XP@
25th January 2006, 13:03
no, it's that I didn't know where Turangi was. But now I do.
Suggest you look at a north island map before you set off... having a rough idea of the geography of the island is helpful...
A couple of years ago someone did 2000+km's including the fabled Waikaremoana road (he had never ridden gravel before and was on a hired bike)
All that cos he mistook southbound for northbound... easy done ... well not if you know the basics...
Even with all those extra km's it was possible easier than the previous year when he did it on a Volty 250!

You really don't want to go through all that extra pain :crazy: or maybee you do...

bugjuice
25th January 2006, 13:11
I have a vague idea where stuff is, and how to get places, plus I have a good map at home (which I'm gonna bury myself in tonight), it's just all these weird names that I can't remember, and where the hell they are.

If JSG said that little town at the bottom of Lake Taupo where the roads split to go round the lake, I would have known..

XP@
25th January 2006, 13:24
actually, you don't have to worry too much about getting lost. most do get lost at some point. it is the degree of lost you have to worry about.

As long as you know the area around Turangi, Rotorua, Wanganui, Napier, Taupo, New Plymouth, Bombay Hills, Tauranga, Parmeston North you should be ok. But there again who knows where this years route will lead...

bugjuice
25th January 2006, 13:38
great. I'm stuffed then.
hardly know my way to the bathroom half the time

justsomeguy
25th January 2006, 13:54
That's why I asked about forming a small group say about 4-5 of us. It makes it that much easier.

I don't think we should have too many problems if do our prep. We also have enough people here who've done it before to give us some pointers.

-- Past GC riders - what were the issues that affected your ride the most? Fatigue, orienteering, ......???

Warr
25th January 2006, 15:59
Dont sweat it and ride!!
I got cold early in the morning around 4pm so stopped in Taupo and put another layer on.
I had eaten some soaked muesli and drank only water all through the night.
Just before dawn Rotorua - Taupo - Turangi .. lots of yawning. Stopped at Turangi for gas and toilet. Had a cup of coffee. And sun was just starting to come up and I was rite till then end. Wide awake.

Bonez
25th January 2006, 16:33
Hey any fella that can keep up with Death_Inc and LooseBruce on a GSXR 750 and 1000 on a 1984 Yamaha 900 has my respect --- anyway.......

You planning on doing it this year??

I read about the chap who did it on a ZZR250 - my old bike. That must have taken a bit of flat out (max bike speed) 150kmph riding.

Me guy at the last cold kiwi who has done it on a GB400.

RiderInBlack
25th January 2006, 20:41
Ready last years GC (see http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=314007&postcount=11 and Rusty Nuts Grand Challenge 2005 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=15473) ). It's all there:shake:

justsomeguy
31st January 2006, 13:06
1st Practice Ride this Sun.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=493043#post493043

marty
31st January 2006, 13:36
not making excuses, but i hope to have a different type of 24hr challenge that i will be doing around this time, and i'll be a little strapped for cash. this on my list of things to do though - anything like this is an excellent way to find out a lot about yourself/your machine

XP@
31st January 2006, 13:54
Anyone for a long ride out of wellington?

Perhaps wellington -> Taupo -> Napier -> wellington
or
Perhaps wellington -> Taupo -> New Plymouth -> wellington

Running at a steady pace (to avoid tickets) with minimal stops. and perhaps one or two interesting (non state highway) sections.

justsomeguy
23rd February 2006, 16:45
OK people.

I'd like to go for a long ride sometime in March. With a target of 1000ks.

Any route suggestions??

Any of you keen to join in??