PDA

View Full Version : New to NZ, not to biking...

Joni
23rd March 2004, 12:10
Hey, just arrived in NZ, been in the biking scene for many years on my CBR400 back in South Africa. The guys back home say, they need to come over here and teach the Kiwis how to ride.... any comments?

Coldkiwi
23rd March 2004, 12:15
well, there's regular 'riding lessons' going on around and out of auckland most weekends. Road riding instructors bikes range from everything from CBR250s to ZX12's; pupils are similarly mounted!! I'm sure you'll find someone to educate or be educated by, just watch the 'meetings and events' section and you'll find a ride going in the near future. But beware, there are some very fast people on unfast looking bikes lurking out there (and they're not me!)

Hitcher
23rd March 2004, 12:47
I'm always receptive to new ideas, from South Africa or anywhere else for that matter!

wari
23rd March 2004, 13:07
Nice way to start Joni ... :kick: (in a nice friendly way) ...

cats amongst the pidgeons (pigeons, pigones - take your pick)

There'r plenty of sharks on here , so I'm sure you'll get a bite .

wanna dance ? :spudbooge

yes ? .. I'll see if I can go find someone for ya.

BTW , welcome ... hope to see you on the roads somewhere.

Motoracer
23rd March 2004, 13:26
Welcome mate! Do you know Ricky by any chance? I am willing to learn from anyone willing to teach me how to ride properly. The teacher has to earn the respect though.

Jackrat
23rd March 2004, 13:50
I ran into a group calling themselfs The SA eagles a while back,Nice folks.
Kiwis have a rep,for being fast riders so if you think you can show us how it's done,Go for it.
Welcome to NZ and KB,With an opener like that you will fit in just fine. :msn-wink:

Zed
23rd March 2004, 15:01
Hey, just arrived in NZ, been in the biking scene for many years on my CBR400 back in South Africa. The guys back home say, they need to come over here and teach the Kiwis how to ride.... any comments?
Welcome to KB Joni...you will enjoy yourself here as humor is a must, and that teaching comment was hilarious!! :laugh:

Zed

Vagabond
23rd March 2004, 15:30
Prehaps you'd like another ex S.African who's been here a few years to teach you a combination of riding styles?
Welcome.

Al
23rd March 2004, 16:52
Hey Joni

As an ex-SAn I think the Kiwis can teach the SA "manne" a few things about riding. The roads here are better suited to biking in as far as corners and condition of surface goes.
Also big plus here is that there is no taxis to take you out!

Welcome and have a ball! Where in Akl are you?
:sneaky2:

Coldkiwi
23rd March 2004, 17:19
you're kidding? we have better quality road surfaces than another country??? well bugger me!

pete376403
23rd March 2004, 17:19

Yep, just as soon as the SA cricket team finishes showing the Black Caps how to play, ok. :laugh:

White trash
23rd March 2004, 17:20

Opening statement like that, I'd say you're related to Kerry Dukie. Ever heard of him?

I'm always up for learning new skills, C U at Pukie? You could always bring the SA cricket team along. I hear they're masters of dishing out "learnings"!

SPman
23rd March 2004, 17:30
Hey Joni
:sneaky2::eek: Your're fuckin jokin, mate! :eek:

You ridden around town lately? I think all the taxi drivers learned in Beirut!

Jackrat
23rd March 2004, 18:43
:eek: Your're fuckin jokin, mate! :eek:

You ridden around town lately? I think all the taxi drivers learned in Beirut!
LOL,Nah mate,Thats where they come from.

claire
23rd March 2004, 19:37
Hey Joni, I'm new to this site but welcome anyway. What sort of bike are you riding here in NZ?

Claire

Vagabond
23rd March 2004, 20:21
:Pokey: What road do u ride on ???????????????
Hey Joni

As an ex-SAn I think the Kiwis can teach the SA "manne" a few things about riding. The roads here are better suited to biking in as far as corners and condition of surface goes.

Welcome and have a ball! Where in Akl are you?
:sneaky2:

Al
24th March 2004, 05:42
Huh?
Usually the tarseal roads, occasionally gravel, why?????????????????????????? :spudwhat:

SPman, these taxis are fugall! Beirut, try Durban/Johannesburg :puke:

Seriously though, we were in Kwazulu Natal and the potholes seemed to not be filled in or repaired properly. The toll roads were in pretty good nick, but then you stood the risk of having stones/bricks/objects dropped on you from the many overhead bridges you had to pass under. Nah, the roads in this country are PRIMO!

Joni
24th March 2004, 16:42
No I dont know Kerry - but a big Rickey Gadson fan.
Anyway yes I am sure the roads and the scenery are amazing in NZ, but at the end of the day its about skill and confidence when you are on the bike - right? Believe me, when my bikes comes in from SA I will be on the roads, seeing whats up!

aff-man
24th March 2004, 16:54
Go for a ride with CK i think you might find his riding "surprising". As for the roads man you can't beat em. Where abouts in saffa-land you from, i'm a valie from way back :laugh:

Joni
24th March 2004, 17:06
Yeah I see you from way back - I am Gauteng girl - no more valies remember!!. Hey and rididng with CK, I am game if the guy knows how to ride, I will be right behind him (slip stream of course)

Coldkiwi
24th March 2004, 17:06
Go for a ride with CK i think you might find his riding "surprising".

nah, i don't reckon people are surprised when they find people riding sportsbikes like to disappear into the distance (or at least try to). What surprises me is when i come across sportsbikes that are going slowly... or slow bikes that are overtaking me! *gulp*

aff-man
24th March 2004, 17:11
well tell me as soon as you get your bike. I'll come along and see what transpires :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Joni
24th March 2004, 17:14
you smile about this - few girls can ride like a man, I am happy to be the exception to many rules

Joni
24th March 2004, 17:18
Hey CK - you ride the suzuki not me.... nice bike!!! friend of mine just got the new GSX1000, now that is when I wanna pillion!!!

aff-man
24th March 2004, 17:25
hell i'll let you two ride off into the distance as long as you wait for little old me :sweatdrop

Joni
24th March 2004, 17:26
wait what does wait mean? catch up should be in the vocab....

aff-man
24th March 2004, 17:26
at the stops of course (don't wanna ruin your fun) and from pillioning on CK's 600 and it being "interesting" without him trying well i shudder to think of the 1000

Joni
24th March 2004, 17:28
Honest I only pillion with 2 guys - thats trust 100%, I say if he is a better rider than me, I will sit behind him, not until then...

Zed
24th March 2004, 22:44
you smile about this - few girls can ride like a man, I am happy to be the exception to many rules
We may see this in practise one day soon hopefully Joni!! :banana:

Motoracer
24th March 2004, 23:22
Hopefully you can show me a thing or two too Joni, if you don't mind another rider comming along. You sound like quite the expert, I am looking forward to this ride.

aff-man
26th March 2004, 11:06
I'll bring my binoculars so i can observe your riding style from afar :baby: . Hahahah can you feel the antisipation growing :eek:

SPman
26th March 2004, 11:26
Hey CK - you ride the suzuki not me.... nice bike!!! friend of mine just got the new GSX1000, now that is when I wanna pillion!!!
Repeat after me ... now that is when I wanna RIDE!...now that is when I wanna RIDE!.
Whats this pillion nonsense!

Joni
29th March 2004, 10:31
SP, I ride my 400 cause my feet touch the ground - I dont stand a chance on a 1000,I am 5ft2", it could be interesting trying to tilt the bike as I stop, with power like that, I will rather have a trusted rider up front, so I can still feel the bike - I will never be able to ride it. Sad but true. When you are as short as me there are certain realities you have to face. (-:

SPman
29th March 2004, 10:56
...... Sad but true. When you are as short as me there are certain realities you have to face. (-: This is indeed a problem for the vertically challenged. With seat heights for sportbikes, in particular getting higher and no new 250/400's being made, if you're a shortarse theres not a lot out there. Its all very well people saying , you'll be fine, once you're moving, but the day to day realities of motorcycling mean that you have to stop, manouvre, park etc and if you can't touch the ground easily, life gets difficult!
My friend would love to go back to her FZR250, if it was new and not 15 yrs old!

Joni
29th March 2004, 11:52
you get my point then...
A friend rides a Honda 945, he is not much bigger than me, its comical to watch. Personally I dont think its safe! My little CBR400, perfect!! I dont even fit on the 400 Kawa...

SPman
29th March 2004, 12:05
you get my point then...
A friend rides a Honda 945, he is not much bigger than me, its comical to watch. Personally I dont think its safe! .
Men normally have more upper body strength than women though, so they can get away with it !:rolleyes:

Joni
29th March 2004, 13:22
should I respond to that?

aff-man
29th March 2004, 14:08
well i dunno i have seen chicks riding tl1000,r6 and some other pretty heafty bikes so either they are built like a guy or they ride a lot smoother with more .... "finess" (sorry can't spell). :innocent:

Joni
29th March 2004, 14:45
My opinion - and sorry girls if I offend - most woman are ok to ride like a woman and be a good "girl rider" - if you are not 100% in control of the bike you will never be able to take her to track. Now I have done a lot of track work with the guys and done ok, that I am more happy with than just being a girl on a big bike.... nothing to do with finess. To do with doing things well. I might be wrong - as I said my opinion!

aff-man
29th March 2004, 15:02
true what i was getting at is i have seen a few guys "including myself at times" try muscle the bike into doing what you want , yet to see a lady rider do it.

Joni
29th March 2004, 15:07
Got it and agree......
Let it come natural right?!? Instinctive.....

aff-man
30th March 2004, 08:33
if it don't feel good it's obviously not right :o . Can't wait for a ride now, do you know when you'll be up and ready????

Joni
30th March 2004, 10:05
Well I think my decision has been made - I am going to buy a CBR here, and then bring in my bike later. So I will be on the look out for a really nice 400, good milleage etc... not been riden to death, not been dropped etc.. So how lonf will that take? I would rather not rush it, find the right bike - then we go for a good long ride - you show me the NZ roads! I show you SA riding styles... could be interesting

aff-man
30th March 2004, 10:30
Well if you looking for something newer i can suggest you go talk to the bike shops (mt eden , holeshot ect...) because even if they don't have the bike in store they might have it on the otherside of the sea. So if you go in say what you're looking for they might be able to help you and if the bike is not due in they might make arragments for it to come in asap. :niceone: .

Joni
30th March 2004, 14:55
will do....I dont want an old model, 98/99 latest....
So I will see whats around, hopefully in time for Puke!!! pity if not.

SPman
30th March 2004, 15:24
will do....I dont want an old model, 98/99 latest....

98/99 model!...You'll be lucky! The newest CBR400 I've seen out here was a 94! And they wanted $7500 for that!

White trash
30th March 2004, 17:11
I recently sold a 98 CBR400RR to a guy in Auckland for $7500. Had about 5k on the clock from memory. Awesome bike, the pick of the 400s I reckon.

But what the hell would I know?

Joni
31st March 2004, 08:52
This might take a while....
Let me know if you see anything around