PDA

View Full Version : pgo pmx 50

IkeKrull
24th January 2006, 19:39
Hi there,

just bought a low mileage PMX 50 - love the way it looks with its big chunky wheels and it rides really nicely.

However, I would ideally like it to kick out a bit more power - I was told it was already derestricted, but it just doesnt have the throaty 2 stroke howl i would expect if this was really the case - it also seems unduly limited w/regard to top speed - I'm thinking the variator is the problem.

Does anyone know the details on these PGOs, and also whether performance parts (mainly exhaust) are available for these scooters in NZ?

Thanks for your help

-Pete

MidnightMike
24th January 2006, 19:43
I know, turbo it like the vespa in that video. :eek:

IkeKrull
24th January 2006, 19:50
4 stroke =simple to turbocharge

2 stroke = bloody difficult (and probably impossible at 50cc) to do efficiently

Got any better ideas?

MidnightMike
24th January 2006, 19:54

Got any better ideas?

Yep, GET A REAL BIKE FOR CHRIST SAKE! :shake:

IkeKrull
24th January 2006, 20:10
Actually, I used to own a ZXR250, but never quite got it on the road so i could learn to ride on it. Went overseas so i gave it to my friend who onsold it to some other dude.

I do kick myself from time to time over it, but i have developed a perverse attachment to the humble 50cc scooter. So while i work this evil habit out of my system and finally give in to the urge to buy a stupid-fast 2 wheeled death machine, perhaps you could at least post something useful :)

MidnightMike
24th January 2006, 20:12
Srry i dont think i have somthing usefull, ive done the hole scooter thing and are now onto real bikes. :doobey:

MisterD
25th January 2006, 06:39
Vespas are 4 stroke

Some are, some aren't. There's plenty 2stroke vespas and gileras rocking around Akld, several with 70cc cylinder kits on.

You've got two options if you want more power, a bigger cylinder (god knows if there's one for a PGO) or an expansion chamber exhaust (ditto).

Changing the variator / weights etc will only change the gearing and give you better top end or acceleration at the expense of the other. Heavier weights = better top speed.

**edit***

I've checked the PM Tuning (http://www.pmtuning.co.uk) website and you appear to be shit out of luck. You need to start with a Vespa/Gilera/Italjet or Peugeot cos that's what all the European kids are hotting up.

IkeKrull
25th January 2006, 08:44
I've seen performance parts for the PGOs on the net.. they are harder to find than the more common euro scooters, but they do exist..

Who would be the best people in New Zealand to contact to get stuff like this imported, or am I better off buying off the internet from europe?

Thanks

-Pete

deathstar
25th January 2006, 09:09
depends on location but anza get hold of a lot of parts

MisterD
25th January 2006, 09:48
I tend to buy my bits over the net. The shipping is a killer, but probably equates to not paying the local GST equivalent. The only time I've been stung for tax coming in was for my PM Tuning pipe, which was a pretty big obvious package....

texmo
26th January 2006, 11:53

Got any better ideas?
vespas are 4stroke what drugs are you on?

MidnightMike
26th January 2006, 11:54

Thats what i was thinkn :blink:

bungbung
26th January 2006, 12:23
Ike,

How fast does yours go?

I have one that has had the washer removed from the header.

I weigh 95kg, and it'll show an indicated 80km/h on the flat with a tail wind.

Max downhill is an indicated 90mk/h.

Going past one of those 'your speed is' radar signs, the pmx indicated 60km/h = 50km/h in real life.

I have dragged off plenty of other scoots before.

You can get pipes from holland or the UK.

texmo
26th January 2006, 12:42
I have one that has had the washer removed from the header.

HAHAHA awesome washer in the header, nice...

MisterD
26th January 2006, 12:55

My ET is, Googie....

texmo
26th January 2006, 13:51
the majority of vespas are two-stroke, the lx150, et4, gt, gtie. Hmmm 4 four-stroke vespas. I still staby by what i said.

MisterD
26th January 2006, 14:03
the majority of vespas are two-stroke, the lx150, et4, gt, gtie. Hmmm 4 four-stroke vespas. I still staby by what i said.

So what you're saying is, the majority of Vespas are now 4-stroke....come on Googie don't go all traditionalist on me!

Talking of 2-strokes though, my Lammy is really starting to loosen up can't wait to get it on the dyno.....

texmo
26th January 2006, 14:05
So what you're saying is, the majority of Vespas are now 4-stroke....come on Googie don't go all traditionalist on me!

Talking of 2-strokes though, my Lammy is really starting to loosen up can't wait to get it on the dyno.....
No the majority are still two-stroke. wont be for long though, stupid bloody goverments two-stroke aint that bad for the environment, yet hummers which with your foot down do between 0 and 1 mile per gallon.
Skandy had his bike on the dyno yesterday morning, have you run your in yet? how many kms you done?

MisterD
26th January 2006, 14:18
No idea how many kms I've done, the speedo's not the most reliable thing and has only had a cable at all for a few weeks!

Where is this place that the racer boys go for dynoing, is it the jetski / quad place in Glenfield?

IkeKrull
26th January 2006, 14:33
My PMX doesnt do 80 kmph... not even down a hill with the throttle cranked right open. I've seen 70kmph indicated on the speedo down a hill.

It seems to max out at about 65kmph on the flat, and definitely doesnt feel like its got the power it should have. Its done less than 1500kms, idles solidly and runs very smooth - and doesnt smoke at all, so i'm thinking there is definitely something restricting it somewhere.

I removed the exhaust to look for a restrictor washer but couldnt see one, i'm thinking there might be a variator restriction and theres a small black plastic spacer between the carb and the intake manifold which might be a restrictor, except i cant reach one of the bolts to get the damn thing off to check.

I've found a few expansion chambers online that should do the trick but theyre damn expensive. Ah well, i owe myself a late christmas present anyway :)

texmo
26th January 2006, 14:49
My PMX doesnt do 80 kmph... not even down a hill with the throttle cranked right open. I've seen 70kmph indicated on the speedo down a hill.

It seems to max out at about 65kmph on the flat, and definitely doesnt feel like its got the power it should have. Its done less than 1500kms, idles solidly and runs very smooth - and doesnt smoke at all, so i'm thinking there is definitely something restricting it somewhere.

I removed the exhaust to look for a restrictor washer but couldnt see one, i'm thinking there might be a variator restriction and theres a small black plastic spacer between the carb and the intake manifold which might be a restrictor, except i cant reach one of the bolts to get the damn thing off to check.

I've found a few expansion chambers online that should do the trick but theyre damn expensive. Ah well, i owe myself a late christmas present anyway :)
Ring the place you got it from they will know how to de-restrict it, just ask will save a lot of your time

No idea how many kms I've done, the speedo's not the most reliable thing and has only had a cable at all for a few weeks!

Where is this place that the racer boys go for dynoing, is it the jetski / quad place in Glenfield?
two stroke power sports the guys name is lincon, its over the shore. sorry lost the number but its in the phone book.

bungbung
26th January 2006, 15:56
Ike, try calling at Motorad.

They sold me mine, and I'm sure they were the folks who derestricted it. They should be able to tell you whether there are any more restrictions.

IkeKrull
26th January 2006, 16:07
Thanks, i'll do that.

MisterD
27th January 2006, 10:31
two stroke power sports the guys name is lincon, its over the shore. sorry lost the number but its in the phone book.

Race and Recreation Powersports? That's the place I was thinking of in Glenfield.

Sketchy_Racer
28th January 2006, 20:47
also, check the carb.

My scooter had a plastic insert in the carb to stop you from getting full throttle. I removed that, and although i can only get 65 Kph, it gets there really really quick for a scooter ;)

- RG100!!

skidMark
28th January 2006, 21:23
firstly yank the exhaust off and check for a restrictor..... have a look down the pipe for a plate and look in the head for a plate or something a quick job to do no harm in checking it to make sure

IkeKrull
29th January 2006, 10:36
Well, yesterday I had the extra 'goes nowhere' pipe that was fitted to the stock exhaust cut off and the hole welded, and now she accelerates a whole lot better. Goes 5-10kmph faster up hills too, which is good.

On monday i should hopefully be getting the guys from Motorad to open the variator and remove any restrictor ring that is in there. I also got some light and some heavy rollers so i'll be experimenting with those as well.

There is a black plastic insert between carb and manifold which may be a restrictor as well, but getting the carb off seems difficult due to the location of the nuts.. i'll let the Motorad guys take care of that too i think.

I've found a tecnigas expansion-chamber exhaust that i can hopefully get shipped from the UK, or potentially from a dealer in australia which might save me some money.

Thanks for your help and suggestions,

Pete

skidMark
29th January 2006, 13:51
There is a black plastic insert between carb and manifold which may be a restrictor as well, but getting the carb off seems difficult
Pete

thats most likely just you gasket but yes it could have a smaller hole in it to restrict it

i wish i knew how to make my mates 91 honda pal go faster it does 45 on flats. but can't see any kind of exhaust restrictor anybody have any tricks for them?

like factory retristions...

he doesnt want to put a chamber on it etc just wants to get it going a little bit batter....anything to check on guys?

texmo
29th January 2006, 21:15
Race and Recreation Powersports? That's the place I was thinking of in Glenfield.
Yer thats them I found their number but you have the name of the place so I assume that you got their number? any who the guy your after is lincon 444-8101

Daffyd
7th May 2017, 22:12

Got any better ideas?

A list of Vespas available in the Philippines:

2 Stroke: PX150.

4 Stroke: GTS 300ie, 946, Sprint, Primavera.