PDA

View Full Version : Rode in Yesterdays Rain... Fun...

buellbabe
25th January 2006, 06:21
Had to ride down to Hamilton (service at Road&Sport) yesterday in that atrocious weather... nice.
I actually don't mind riding in the rain but I had a couple of knarly moments and am blaming my front tyre cos its pretty shagged! Me thinks it needs replacing BEFORE the wkend! Had a few slips on corners that really weren't that bad but the worst was when I went to overtake on a straight stretch of road and got a mean tank-slap happening... Fuck this! I thought, what the ?? My rear tyre is sposed to be bloody good and has only been on the bike for a couple months so I have come to the conclusion that the somewhat-sad front tyre must be at fault. In hindsight I should have replaced the front at the same time but... just a few more kms I figured, she'll be right! And I know I'm not alone here!
Anyway my point is that a fantastic rear ain't worth shite if the front is rooted!:ride: :devil2:

JWALKER
25th January 2006, 06:26
i would have to agree with you there buellbabe. yeah, i don't mind riding in the rain., but glad to hear your tyre didnt cause you to come off

98tls
25th January 2006, 06:29
might have been a bit of diesal on road maybe,i came back over the hill from the westcoast once in the pissing rain,really hard rain and had a few moments with two good tyres on,scarey stuff eh,glad you didnt bin it.

Fishy
25th January 2006, 06:38
There was a bloody strong crosswind heading down the motorway between Pukekohe and Ramarama (there was a truck that got completely blown over onto its side). Glad I took the cage to work yesterday. :yes:

_Gina_
25th January 2006, 06:59
There was a bloody strong crosswind heading down the motorway between Pukekohe and Ramarama (there was a truck that got completely blown over onto its side). Glad I took the cage to work yesterday. :yes:

Yeah Stify nearly slipped the VTR out when he hit a patch of diesel travelling between Puke and Waiuku yesterday....glad I was tucked up a home with the fire going!!!!
:innocent:

buellbabe
25th January 2006, 07:12
Hmmm I wondered if I had hit a patch of something but really the rain was that heavy that any residue would have been washed off the road...
Saw that blown over truck on my way back!:argh:

_Gina_
25th January 2006, 07:25
Yeah thats gotta put the shits up ya! Truck falling over!

Recently I rode home from work (MT Welly - Waiuku) and I started to think to myself, when is it too windy to ride?

I got as far as Takanini and decided to get off and go down Gt Sth Rd to Drury...big gusts of wind were picking the bike (vtr) up and placing it back down half a lane away.....I had started clenching my teeth!!!

Lou Girardin
25th January 2006, 07:31
The bridge wasn't that bad last night. It was a head wind so it felt like 200 k's without risking a ticket.

SVrunner
25th January 2006, 07:51
@4.30 on the harbour bridge was a steady wind blow. Worst part were cars doing 65km & making other cars change lanes with out signals. Usual but with wind & rain to contend with makes for interesting riding.

Ixion
25th January 2006, 07:52
Only thing I noticed last night was hitting a few unexpected patches of flooding.

Holy Roller
25th January 2006, 08:01
Heading home from work I knew I'd get wet so didn't even bother putting on the wet weathers as I was already drenched by the time I had walked to the bike. Just had to watch for flooding and branches that had blown down, a bit hard with an open face helmet on and glasses all steamed up. Then when I got home had to dig a treanch around the house to stop excess water from getting under it into the storage area.(recent earthworks for the garage was directing the water straight under the house). A quick shower and fresh clothes, the kids had not checked the mail when they got home so even with a rain coat on it was another change of clothes.

SVrunner
25th January 2006, 08:21
Had to ride down to Hamilton (service at Road&Sport) yesterday in that atrocious weather... nice.
I actually don't mind riding in the rain but I had a couple of knarly moments and am blaming my front tyre cos its pretty shagged! Me thinks it needs replacing BEFORE the wkend! Had a few slips on corners that really weren't that bad but the worst was when I went to overtake on a straight stretch of road and got a mean tank-slap happening... Fuck this! I thought, what the ?? My rear tyre is sposed to be bloody good and has only been on the bike for a couple months so I have come to the conclusion that the somewhat-sad front tyre must be at fault. In hindsight I should have replaced the front at the same time but... just a few more kms I figured, she'll be right! And I know I'm not alone here!
Anyway my point is that a fantastic rear ain't worth shite if the front is rooted!:ride: :devil2:

What tyres are you using?

emaN
25th January 2006, 11:15

yeh, had seen your post earlier about having to go down there for a service; was hoping it'd all go ok...good to see it did.

Pixie
25th January 2006, 11:31
What a laugh...they closed SH1 north of Orewa,and sent traffic down Kahikatea Flat rd.
Kahikatea Flat rd. has a tree fall across it,so they send traffic up SH 16.
SH 16 gets flooded,so North land becomes inaccessable.:buggerd:

Ixion
25th January 2006, 11:52
It seems odd to me, we have all these 4x4 and SUVs on the roads nowadays, but they still keep closing the roads whenever there's a bit of weather. I mean, a 4x4 (or SUV) can almost certainly cope with anything that we're likely to see in this country, so why close the road ? Why not just an advisory warning "Flooding - proceed at your own risk", or slip or whatever, And for the tree, the first 4x4 that comes along can push it out of the way (or drive over/through it). Closing the roads made sense years ago, when everyone drove Morrie Minors. But if we're going to have these 4wd things on the road, we may as well make use of them, is it not?

Incidentally, what's the legal position if I, as a motorcyclist who doesn't give a stuff about flooding and tress, cos I'll find a way round or through, ignore the road closure and push on? Is it actually breaking any law, and if so what?

buellbabe
25th January 2006, 12:11
What tyres are you using?

Pirelli Diablo Strada on the rear and another different Pirelli ( can't remember which 1 cos its been superceded ) on the front. Gonna be getting a matching 1 for the front today. Normally I wouldn't run 2 different types but when I changed the rear there was just too much good tread on the front... blah blah blah ya know how it is?

Oh and regarding riding on roads that are closed, well I rode on "closed roads" during the February Floods a couple of years back. When it looked dodgy I asked the Workmen if I could get through and they told me yes but if I was in a car I would have had to detour!
:headbang: