PDA

View Full Version : Incentives for fuel efficient vehicles?

clint640
25th January 2006, 10:36
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3550481a10,00.html

So does this mean the rego on bikes is going to drop?

Yeah Right. They'll probably just raise it for anything bigger than a 2.0 - Rocket 3 owners beware!

Cheers
Clint

Rosie
25th January 2006, 14:59
Hi Clint. :wavey: Nice to see you. Come here often?

I'm intrigued that the Motor Industry guy thinks that taxing older cars (and motorbikes as well one presumes) would be more effective than looking specifically at fuel efficiency. My bike is new, so at least I would have one vehicle left. Although I fear that the green party wouldn't consider my 2-stroke to be "environmentally sensible". Best I keep riding my pushbike everywhere. Lets see them tax that off the road. :p

On the radio last night they suggested sensible ways of reducing fuel consumption, such as taking your smaller car down the road to the dairy rather than the giant SUV-thing. Why not walk? Who buys so much at the dairy they need a car to carry it all home again? And some of these people probably drive to the gym to get some exercise after they have driven to the dairy.

From the NZ herald:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10365261
"Ms Gale noted that taxes on a one-tonne vehicle were the same as those on a three-tonne vehicle."
But not for a 120kg vehicle. Maybe they could have incentives for engine capacity and for weight. Lest the road become cluttered with large underpowered cars.

sAsLEX
25th January 2006, 15:20
Look at this graph http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/NZD/graph120.html the nzd has been this weak before they are only using it as an excuse the miserable cunts

merv
25th January 2006, 17:24
I'm all for its staying as a linear tax now i.e. if they are talking about efficiency then surely the number of litres consumed is the issue and every litre you buy attracts taxes so what the hell is wrong with that?

mud boy
25th January 2006, 17:48
I'm all for its staying as a linear tax now i.e. if they are talking about efficiency then surely the number of litres consumed is the issue and every litre you buy attracts taxes so what the hell is wrong with that?

that is the truth!!!... so where is the problem??????

you use more... therefor you pay more...

Dadpole
25th January 2006, 22:20
Motor industry would love to see higher reg costs on older vehicles. More money in their pockets selling newer models. Where does that leave the people with older cars, and no money to upgrade?
On a selfish note: I have a '73 Rover that has a severe drinking problem. Should I just set fire to the bastard now? :cry:

JMemonic
25th January 2006, 22:20

Exactly as is happening right now, himm lets find a new tax to raise revenue, I am a little afraid that they will see that report which states motorcycles are less fuel efficent than cars and lay more tax on us.

Brian d marge
26th January 2006, 02:55
Sad fact is ..per person able to be carried a 1000cc car is more effiecient than the same sized bike

Me I have an Enfield ,,runs onnthe snof of an oily Rag ,,,( was designed when gasoline was really expensive ,,and you only had two choices , pool , or Shankes pony

If they continue ,,,I will be running the thing on Ethenol quicker than you can tax break

I have no sympathy for SUV s a Humdrumvie is over the top ,,,

Oh but we must recycle ,,,pop down to pack and save in the Humvie darling and pick us up some recycling bags will you :spudwhat:

Stephen

miSTa
26th January 2006, 05:53
Well it is inevitable, with an ever decreasing quantity of fuel, fuel efficiency is the key to prolonging our reserves and thus preventing the price from skyrocketing.

SVrunner
26th January 2006, 06:07
I bought my bike so I could save money. But with increased fuel it deferentally cheeper than filling a holden last time I stopped it at $70 [would havetaken about another $20, highest price I had ever paid. Compared to $18for bike. So now how do I sell my car, lookslike it will fade away in the driveway, & pay high reg. for it.

FzerozeroT
26th January 2006, 07:07
everyone should have heard of bio-diesel by now, well what about brewing up some ethanol? I think it has an octane rating around 120. you could probably get a 15:1 compression ratio with it!

wendigo
26th January 2006, 07:24
So what arsholes voted for the Greens then eh? Come on, own up...

What I find fascinating, is that while there is a lot of harping on about how we should all be buying brand spanking new, more fuel efficient vehicles to prolong oil reserverves, there is precious little discussion about the options for after all the oil has gone. (edit - see FzerozeroT's comment on ethanol above. What you want is methanol - or wood alcohol, so called because it is brewed from trees. Last time I looked, there were quiet a few of those around. And they're renewable... )

Another point that fuckwit Fitzsimons and her cronies do not seem to have taken into account in their drive to force us all to indulge in their ideal of '"environmentally sensible" cars' by adopting European standards, is the actual petrol involved. In Ireland, before I came over here, standard petrol was 96 Octane (as opposed to 91 over here) and Premium was 98 (as opposed to 95). Any engineers out there feel free to correct me, but I was always taught, the higher the Octane rating, the cleaner the burn. I was also taught that the higher Octane rating you had, the higher compression ratio you can run, which means more efficient burning, which means less fuel is needed per equivalent power output, which means less fuel is consumed, therefore higher fuel efficiency. However, Mss Fitzsimons seems to have ignored this line of thought, that would ultimately do a lot more in the long term to achieve her preported goals of '"environmentally sensible" cars', and focussed solely on engine size.

Motu
26th January 2006, 07:40
I'm not too happy with taxing older vehicles more - I have always bottom fed on older vehicles,apart from getting cheaper transport I feel I'm doing my bit for ecology and economy by not sending them into the ground while there is still some life left in them....they are certainly not less efficient for being older.

And very much backed by the LMVD,they are bringing in shit loads of cars - they are kicking the microlight guys off their airstrip on Onehunga and paving the whole area just so Ports of Auckland can park the frigging things.If everyone already has a car,like,the market is saturated...then how do you sell your over stocked product? By making the customer give up their existing model.That's why we have the Jap Imports in the first place - Japan knows this policy,they make a shit load of cars and the only way to sell them is to have a forced retirement policy.

tracyprier
26th January 2006, 08:37
that is the truth!!!... so where is the problem??????

Totally agree. It's one of the reasons that, after selling my car to help finance the Beemer I decided not to bother buying a replacement car... because it's a hell of a lot cheaper just running the bike.

So there you go, I'm helping things by only having a bike now and mostly it's because of running costs... so the above theory works :)

.... bloody sandal-wearing, bean-farting, hippies... like the saying goes, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Ixion
26th January 2006, 08:49
Well, as far as bikes are concerned, anyway, older models usually have MUCH better fuel consumption than current ones (I'm talking 50's, 60's models here. And excluding two strokes - which is a sore point at the moment - on tin-tacks all the way through the Hunua Gorge and made it to the servo in Papakura with less than a litre to go. Blurdy stupid little tanks).

sunhuntin
26th January 2006, 11:52
i dont understand it, myself. im just grateful the customers so far have realised we the jockey cant do anything about it! LOL.

myself, i only ride the bike...cant drive and dislike bicycles [1 puncture a day is the norm for me!] cost me $12 to fill the gn the other week. from reserve that was nearly emptied. that $12 got me around 800-odd k, going by the trip meter. went out of town so topped her up and got $9 in her. im going to run her back to fumes and then reset the trip meter and do an accurate assessment.

can bikes be fitted with LPG? its cheaper even than diesel and seems quite popular....most of the cop cars take both LPG and 91.

Bonez
26th January 2006, 15:57
Totally agree. It's one of the reasons that, after selling my car to help finance the Beemer I decided not to bother buying a replacement car... because it's a hell of a lot cheaper just running the bike. All depends on what bike and car you are comparing...............

VFR400R
26th January 2006, 21:06
So were would this leave all the olderly who only have old cars (no savings) and if they have to pay more for them to be on the road = no money for food = no need for the car to go and get food....so they want the old people to die just like the old cars?

How does this work if a older vehicle is fitted with a modern more efficient engine, this would be even more efficient than a newer car of the same size due to the weight difference. New cars have airbags, electric mirrors/windows, AC, power steering etc all adding weight and loading the engines. So in this case a new engine in a older would be better right = less tax, I bet it will not work this way. (can you tell I own a few older cars:) )

I am with the user pays system we currently have, more petrol used more GST, Fuel Tax etc. And what about those of us that have more than one vehicle anyway - we can't drive/ride them all at the same time will they do a shared rego?

steved
27th January 2006, 08:25
everyone should have heard of bio-diesel by now, well what about brewing up some ethanol? I think it has an octane rating around 120. you could probably get a 15:1 compression ratio with it!This report came out about 15 months ago. Have a read.

http://www.med.govt.nz/ers/oil_pet/biofuels/report/report-04.html

Brian d marge
27th January 2006, 18:04
My Enfield will run on Ethanol, I posted the plans for a still that will produce a good supply of juice...The only problems I could see was getting the Raw material
Also the Enfield was designed in the 30s when you tied a oily rag to a stick and held it in front of the bike ,,,

The thing that I worry about is , there is probably a hidden law tucked away somewhere that says ...A person may not have fun while living

or thou shalt not distill any stuff in your back garden you cheap basket . or well have you son !

Stephen

Bring on the fuel crisis I am ready for you ,,:corn:

Nicksta
27th January 2006, 18:32
i vote for a user pays... you drive a gas guzzler.... you pay more as you use more gas (included in price per litre)... although i think they wont impose higher registration costs for older cars as the politicians would never pay more to have their classic convertables on the roads on sundays...

James Deuce
27th January 2006, 18:37
can bikes be fitted with LPG? its cheaper even than diesel and seems quite popular....most of the cop cars take both LPG and 91.

They could, but I'd rather stick with the unpressurised accelerant between my legs than replacing it with a pressurised bomb.

Drew
27th January 2006, 18:49
Ok. The tax system on fuel is already set, so the more you use, the more tax you pay. Just about eighty percent of fuel price is tax!
It,s just the greens trying to grab headlines. Dont worry about it.
And if it looks like the idiots in parliament are going to take it seriously, they will have a cunt of a time getting down the steps of the beehive with a few hundred hotrodders park on the footpath.
It wont happen if we dont let it. Shit, I'll organise a protest. Every biker we can scroung up holding signs saying if big cars pay more, we pay less.:2guns:
We might just be the little guys, but there's a fuck load of us.:ride:

Buster
27th January 2006, 18:55
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3550481a10,00.html

So does this mean the rego on bikes is going to drop?

Yeah Right. They'll probably just raise it for anything bigger than a 2.0 - Rocket 3 owners beware!

Cheers
Clint
Whatever benefits a motorcycle has it will always be out weighed by the bloody stupid ACC levy.

Sketchy_Racer
28th January 2006, 08:24
Ok. The tax system on fuel is already set, so the more you use, the more tax you pay. Just about eighty percent of fuel price is tax!
And if it looks like the idiots in parliament are going to take it seriously, they will have a cunt of a time getting down the steps of the beehive with a few hundred hotrodders park on the footpath.
It wont happen if we dont let it. Shit, I'll organise a protest. Every biker we can scroung up holding signs saying if big cars pay more, we pay less.:2guns:

Fuck Yes!!

im sure 3000 bikes siting on the limiter out side the beehive wont go unnoticed.

i cant wait till the day we get a person in parliment that actually has a stright mind, and is in there to help us and not try to get more tax off of us!!

cheers, Glenn

IronicCapers
8th February 2006, 21:31
I agree with that the weight, engine capacity, fuel efficiency and environmental impact of a road going vehicle should be looked at in the sense that why not have almost stupid amounts that motorbikers have to pay i.e. road user chargers. MAyb private companies can jump on and introduce systems where less tax is paid at the pump where the actual vehicle is noted and charged the correct amount of tax. That mayb a little complicated to instigate but think outside the box. Although new zealand is so trapped in its beaurucracy so it would take a long while not to mention the enormous expense that mayb undertaken by the private companies.

Shadows
8th February 2006, 23:00
Another point that fuckwit Fitzsimons and her cronies do not seem to have taken into account in their drive to force us all to indulge in their ideal of '"environmentally sensible" cars' by adopting European standards, is the actual petrol involved. In Ireland, before I came over here, standard petrol was 96 Octane (as opposed to 91 over here) and Premium was 98 (as opposed to 95). Any engineers out there feel free to correct me, but I was always taught, the higher the Octane rating, the cleaner the burn. I was also taught that the higher Octane rating you had, the higher compression ratio you can run, which means more efficient burning, which means less fuel is needed per equivalent power output, which means less fuel is consumed, therefore higher fuel efficiency. However, Mss Fitzsimons seems to have ignored this line of thought, that would ultimately do a lot more in the long term to achieve her preported goals of '"environmentally sensible" cars', and focussed solely on engine size.

Thats what I understood too. Remember her and her cronies like Nacho Tandoori or whatever his name is are just stupid hippies and don't actually know anything. They just recite things they think that people have said to them the night before. Or was that a dream?

Shadows
8th February 2006, 23:06

Hell we could get a few bikes up the steps and through the doors I reckon. Call the date and I'm in! I'll bring some extra petrol and a lighter.

Flatcap
1st March 2006, 09:35
There is no way this Communist government is ever going to offer incentives for anything except going on welfare. They will only apply extra taxes.

End result - riding a motorcycle will never become cheaper, driving a car will become more expensive