PDA

View Full Version : So whats different in NZ?

gixermike
26th January 2006, 00:38
My fiancee are I are looking to move to Nz in about august / september as I have been offered a job around Auckland. We just came back from 3 weeks there on hols checking it out, and will definietly add to the 'not more bloody Poms ' category. We both ride bikes in the UK.

So the question is, for those who have riden in the uk, and NZ, what are the main differences (other than more space). I've been reading the recent post about filtering etc but what about;

Filtering, overtaking, insurance (can't seem to find if it's mandatory or not..if not what happens if/when you get spanked by a cage?).

My work is likely to be around AKl, so I'll try and commute by bike if I'm still allowed to filter passed traffic...

Mike

Hey Mike..

- Insurance - not necessary, but you should get it anyways... loads cheaper than the uk... but make sure to convert your licence ASAP as it usually adds another $500 or so to your excess

Difference 1 - Speed... national speed limit of 62mph... yeh I know, crap eh? Just have to slow it down around town, then head into the hills :D

Difference 2 - Ignorance... higher percentage of wanker drivers over here... nobody gives you a wave if you let them out, and will tend to just do what they want anyway... don't ever think you know what they're gonna do because it's usually something 10 times stupider!

Other than that the people, the atmosphere and the lifestyle are all good!

Korea
26th January 2006, 02:37
Don't forget road aggression!
When overtaking a car driver, they will often speed up in an attempt to thwart you getting past... then slow down again at the next corner.
Outside of a car and away from the roads we're luuurvly.

gixermike
26th January 2006, 02:46
yeah, the speeding up things makes me laugh....as long as there's enough of the road to still get by.
A tvr did it to me on saturday....it was a nice long straight...he gave up 'eventually!!'

Troll
26th January 2006, 18:22
standard of driving in NZ is shocking, it is approaching 3rd world standards

re insurance nz insurance is £$%ing expensive after the UK

have 4 harleys insured in the Uk for less than the cost of insuring one HD in nz, add to this the incredibly high excess's in NZ

fortunately you do not have to have insurance in NZ

vehicle registration in NZ is another rip off the ACC levies cost more for bikes than cars

also in the UK you can tax a bike for 6 months, in NZ they run a systems on continuous registration meaning that unless you notify them that a vehicle is being taken off the road you are trapped in a continuous registration

also mot / wof, uk it is every 12 months, nz it is every 6 months and the NZ wof is a lot tougher than the UK mot test

Zebedee
17th February 2006, 12:48
... don't ever think you know what they're gonna do because it's usually something 10 times stupider! ... what that man said. Particularly the Asian drivers around Auckland. :ar15:

Don't forget road aggression! … and what that man said too. Particularly the spotty little oiks in WRX's :tugger:

sugilite
26th February 2006, 17:51
standard of driving in NZ is shocking, it is approaching 3rd world standards

have 4 harleys insured in the Uk for less than the cost of insuring one HD in nz, add to this the incredibly high excess's in NZ

fortunately you do not have to have insurance in NZ

vehicle registration in NZ is another rip off the ACC levies cost more for bikes than cars

also in the UK you can tax a bike for 6 months, in NZ they run a systems on continuous registration meaning that unless you notify them that a vehicle is being taken off the road you are trapped in a continuous registration

also mot / wof, uk it is every 12 months, nz it is every 6 months and the NZ wof is a lot tougher than the UK mot test

Hmmm, no positives in there, well one sort off...You wouldn't be originally from England would you old chap?

jonbuoy
26th February 2006, 20:37
The drivings really not that bad mate - lets just call it "pacey" on the open road. I think its all hyped up, I've only had one real incident of road rage in 5 years and I'm pretty sure he was english as well as he gave me the wanker sign. I've seen just as bad driving in the UK - Dorset to Plymouth (A338??) if I remember just as bad. People get frustrated on single carriageways thats all.

Theres some amazing roads for riding on, head down the bottom of the North Island or South Island stay off the state highways and you can have a whole road to yourself all day. Even in Auckland you can head north and find your own little bit of space.

Police seem less anti bike here too, go hard for the first year as youll have your UK licence ;) I've racked up a few points (75), all fairly awarded for speeding, mostly the cops are sweet, no one hassels you for loud pipes :)

Get fully comp insurance - it costs me $800 a year for a VTR1000 I'm 29 - thats fully comp, my no claims is non existent after binning a GSXR last year :whistle:

Good luck.

White trash
26th February 2006, 20:42
Biggest difference you'll have to adjust to is the beer is cold and tastes good.

Bikes are bikes, roads are roads and corners are corners.

Bring your own woman because I get pissed off with you poms coming over and nicking all the good looking ones. Had to score myself a mint Ex UK girl myself just to even the score a little.

Edbear
27th February 2006, 06:32
A tvr did it to me on saturday....it was a nice long straight...he gave up 'eventually!!'

Sounds like fun...:apumpin:

Grahameeboy
27th February 2006, 06:39
Hey, don't worry about the drivers mate.....you just have to adjust and don't listen to all this Asian driver crap.....just another Kiwi "pass the buck" syndrome.....

Great roads, lovely country....traffic congestion nothing compared to UK and that is all they moan about which tells you how wonderfull the rest of NZ is.

Just watch out for a Gixxer with No 3 on the screen...that is all.

Enjoy, you will never go back.

gixermike
28th February 2006, 05:03
worryingly enough NZ immigration have just given us the ok....and LTSA have sent me a letter for the girlfreind to carry with her as she has a uk full restricted licence (power output limited to 33bhp for two years as she took test on a 125). they say she can ride to the limit of her uk licence, so other than the power limit (rides a restricted RVF400), there's no messing around with pillions or night restricitons etc. she'll take the full NZ test pretty soon anyway, then it's game on. Hopefully the letter should smooth things over if we get to make freinds with the HP, otherwise they won't know what the F$%k she can or can't ride!

R1madness
28th February 2006, 09:50
Dude, Welcome. Another nutter for us to pass the buck to. Its a kiwi thing to bag imigrants (wineing poms, asians cant drive, ausies bowl underarm) etc. Dont worry about it its mostly in good fun you just have to have a good come back line. Try something about the rugby world cup. That should make you some friends (no dont pick on rugby most Kiwis cant take a joke about that)

Traffic here is light and most drivers are fine by world standards. Most cops would not know what bike has what power, just wing it.

Grahameeboy
28th February 2006, 10:01
See you later in year and congrats mate.....best decision you wll ever make

boomer
1st March 2006, 22:01
Another pom here and lovin it mate.. speed(ing) is speed(ing) no matter which country you're in :chase:

It's a quaint little 3rd world country is NZ :wari:

Shadows
1st March 2006, 22:46
You're settling in Auckland??? You poor, poor, bastards.

chris
2nd March 2006, 09:13

Absolute opposite to what I have found with insurance.

It is also every 12 months here, just depends on the age of the vehicle. Over here there is no emissions test to pass...yet.

Troll
3rd March 2006, 21:55
Absolute opposite to what I have found with insurance.

It is also every 12 months here, just depends on the age of the vehicle. Over here there is no emissions test to pass...yet.

don't know where you are getting your information from Chris but you talk a lot of bollix

£377 to insure 4 hd's in the uk, was quoted over $nz1200 for 1 hd in NZ (the same bike that is now included in the 4 insured in the UK)

unless it has changed in NZ it is every 6 months for a bike wof unless it is under 3 years old

in the UK it is every 12 months for an MOT unless it is under 3 years old and the MOT test is easier to pass than the WOF

marty
3rd March 2006, 21:59
is that 377 to insure fully? why does my UK superbike mag quote 300 quid to insure a ducati? there must be a reason free insurance is offered to new bike purchases.

and i can't see the point of celebrating the MOT being 'easier' to pass than a WOF.

it's your life i guess. you could always fuck off back there if it's so great.

FROSTY
3rd March 2006, 22:08
inmy job I get to talk to a lot of poms--the general comment is our roads are on the whole a shit load better than in the UK.

Biff
4th March 2006, 00:01
the general comment is our roads are on the whole a shit load better than in the UK.

Wider and emptier yes - but what the fuck is it with that loose metal/re-seal shite. Try that in the UK and the local authorities would get their arse sued off them when the first biker kisses the tarmac. Cheap, nasty and downright dangerous at times IMO. Especially when the road workers forget to put up warning signs.

My 2c:

Overall - NZ has some of the best roads in the world for motormacycling (with the possible exception of the Swiss alps).

The driving standards are, on the whole, pretty poor. As is a large percentage of drivers/riders knowledge of the road code (highway code).

The traffic cops are friendlier - but more common than in the UK. And more likely to give out tickets for speeding.

I've found bike insurance to be much cheaper here.

Filtering - pretty much the same as the Ewww K. Not really legal, but as long as it's done safely, most cops turn a blind eye.

And you legally have to pay a KB registration fee when you get here. I'm an agent for this organisation. Send me $100 and I'll get you lifetime membership. :yeah:

gixermike
4th March 2006, 01:06
rubber check in the post already;-)

Troll
4th March 2006, 02:55
is that 377 to insure fully? why does my UK superbike mag quote 300 quid to insure a ducati? there must be a reason free insurance is offered to new bike purchases.

and i can't see the point of celebrating the MOT being 'easier' to pass than a WOF.

it's your life i guess. you could always fuck off back there if it's so great.

£377 is fully comp insurance for 4 harleys thru Carol Nash Insurance

My wife pays £256 to insure her Ducati and a BSA lightning again thru Carol Nash

MOT in england is a joke compared to the WOF in NZ, especially if you want to modify anything, have put the same bikes thru both tests, NZ is again becoming the poland of the south pacific with all its restrictive leglislation

Oh and by the way I did £$$%% off back to england, not because it was great but because NZ is so bloody restrictive and suffers from the tall poppy syndrome

the only thing I miss is the great roads in the South Island

Mooch
4th March 2006, 05:30
More chance of getting pulled over for speeding in NZ , the speed limits are lower in NZ , lower tollernace to speed . (Speed kills don't you know)

Upside is in NZ in most places you can ride all year round , and Auckland doesn't get as cold as UK.

Fish & Chips in NZ rock !. (But no mushy peas)

BUY PLENTY OF SUNSCREEN or you'll look like a deep fried mars bar in no time.

And plenty of UK couples end up breaking up after moving to NZ (You have been warned !) , probably guys like whitetrash are the main cause.

Troll
4th March 2006, 06:00
More chance of getting pulled over for speeding in NZ , the speed limits are lower in NZ , lower tollernace to speed . (Speed kills don't you know)

Upside is in NZ in most places you can ride all year round , and Auckland doesn't get as cold as UK.

Fish & Chips in NZ rock !. (But no mushy peas)

BUY PLENTY OF SUNSCREEN or you'll look like a deep fried mars bar in no time.

And plenty of UK couples end up breaking up after moving to NZ (You have been warned !) , probably guys like whitetrash are the main cause.

concur with 100% of what you say

Flatcap
4th March 2006, 10:35
My fiancee are I are looking to move to Nz in about august / september as I have been offered a job around Auckland. We just came back from 3 weeks there on hols checking it out, and will definietly add to the 'not more bloody Poms ' category. We both ride bikes in the UK.

Mike

Mike - we will constantly take the puss out of you for being a Whinging Pom but it is all in good fun. Wecome to the Antipodes.

We need as many of your countrymen as you can convince to come over....

chris
6th March 2006, 07:40
don't know where you are getting your information from Chris but you talk a lot of bollix
So, you knew what I was paying in the UK for insurance? Why, you are clever.

unless it has changed in NZ it is every 6 months for a bike wof unless it is under 3 years old
I said in my post that it was every 12 months also, it depends on the age of the vehicle. I shall make it clearer next time for those under five years of age, sorry.

Ixion
6th March 2006, 08:38
The main thing that is different about NZ to the UK is of course that we are on the bottom of the world instead of the top (where UK is).

So, everything in NZ is upside down compared to the UK.

This means that if you bring a bike from the UK, it will ride upside down. This will require minor modification to wet sump machines, and to fuel tank caps, (and radiator caps, I guess). Oh, and special little wheels that you fit to the top of your helmet.

Welcome to NZ and to Kiwibiker. You'll find us a dour sober and humourless lot, which should suit well one of those Brits who take their amusement so sadly.

Troll
6th March 2006, 10:47
[QUOTE=chris]So, you knew what I was paying in the UK for insurance? Why, you are clever.

speaking from my own experience and quoting actual facts which is a little more informative than what you are saying

chris
6th March 2006, 14:58
speaking from my own experience and quoting actual facts which is a little more informative than what you are saying
So you're saying that I'm lying?

I pay less for my insurance in NZ than I did in the UK, whether it be vehicle, house, contents or whatever. I disagreed with you, why are you getting so upset about that? Good grief, you even gave me bad rep for it !! :slap: Do you do that to anyone who disagrees with you? Grow up.

ferretface
6th March 2006, 16:12
Ok - lets clear this one up....I've lived in the UK forever pretty much and know the cost difference.

Insurance could be a bit cheaper over here compared to the UK IF your an old timer with full no-claims.

Insurance is big money in the UK and younger riders get royally shafted on premiums - often costing many times what it is to buy the bike / car for.

Ever wonder why young'uns drive around in V8's and big bikes over here......its a rare sight in the UK!

Ohh and MOT's are very stringent in the UK (unless you know a slack garage - is always good!) There hot on emmision testing and have noise regs for pipes (bloody EU) (no loud ones unless you swap em over after the MOT)

£377 is fully comp insurance for 4 harleys thru Carol Nash Insurance

My wife pays £256 to insure her Ducati and a BSA lightning again thru Carol Nash

MOT in england is a joke compared to the WOF in NZ, especially if you want to modify anything, have put the same bikes thru both tests, NZ is again becoming the poland of the south pacific with all its restrictive leglislation

Oh and by the way I did £$$%% off back to england, not because it was great but because NZ is so bloody restrictive and suffers from the tall poppy syndrome

the only thing I miss is the great roads in the South Island

Troll
6th March 2006, 19:36
[QUOTE=chris]So you're saying that I'm lying?

get real I have quoted actual facts and you disputed them

the facts are quite simple I can insure 4 harleys in the uk cheaper than insuring 1 harley in nz

Macktheknife
6th March 2006, 19:44
Best decision you could ever make in my opinion, came here many years ago and went back on business a couple of years ago. Great to visit, wouldnt want to live there now though!
Seriously, the roads are mostly equivalent to A and B roads and the people are wonderful. Most of the country is bike heaven and unless you really want to live in the deep south, you dont have to ride in the snow and ice.
Let us know of your arrival and we will introduce you to some good local brews and rides.
Welcome to KB by the way

Troll
6th March 2006, 19:48
Ohh and MOT's are very stringent in the UK ???????

my experience is that there is very little difference and in fact the nz regulations are actually tighter and more restrictive

a bike can pass a uk mot test legally and that it would fail the wof test in nz

uk does not need rear vision mirrors

uk you can modify frames

uk can use any type of indicator

nz tail lights have to be a certain size, light lenses have to be from approved sources

nz has put restrrictions on changing brakes without certification

nz has outlawed fittting of some stainless steel brakelines

it is no wonder that there are a lot more custom bikes in the uk and nz because of all of the above

there are swings and roundabouts comparing both tests but in reality if a bike is up to standard in one country it would probably pass in the other and vice versa if it were to fail in one it would probably fail in the other.

however anybody complaining that the tests are too stringent needs there head read, who would want to ride something that is not up to spec and who wants other unsafe vehicles on the road

ferretface
6th March 2006, 21:49
Not everyone rides Harleys mate - the average Joe Bloggs who rides a GSXR, CBR, ZXR etc (i.e. performance bike)....will get hammered by insurance in the UK. Its supposed to get cheaper after you hit 25 but in reality it doesn't really.

The UK has gotta be one of the worse places in the world for high insurance rates....and its compulsory unlike here.

I agree there certain regulations over here might be tighter but they are behind in others...NZ are bringing in emission testing this year....UK have had it for donkeys.

Buck for buck, NZ is a better all round place for biking IMO - cheaper fuel, less traffic, cheaper to insure...ohh and better weather!

Troll
6th March 2006, 23:03
agree with most of what you say except you have missed two import things

earnings in the uk generally are higher than nz and this negates a lot of the increased costs in the uk

nz has some great roads but it is a long way from the rest of the world, £30 return on the cross channel ferry (thats what I paid sep last year) and you are into europe with some equally stunning roads

buellbabe
7th March 2006, 06:31
Biggest difference you'll have to adjust to is the beer is cold and tastes good.

Bikes are bikes, roads are roads and corners are corners.

EXACTLY! And cities are cities, ya gotta expect congestion and all that goes with it. That said, I've lived in the UK and travelled extensively thru Europe, the ONLY other places I would wanna live other than GodZone would be Germany, Austria or Switzerland.
NZ has seemingly endless coastlines, fantastic roads and some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. Whats not to like?

Grahameeboy
7th March 2006, 06:48
EXACTLY! And cities are cities, ya gotta expect congestion and all that goes with it. That said, I've lived in the UK and travelled extensively thru Europe, the ONLY other places I would wanna live other than GodZone would be Germany, Austria or Switzerland.
NZ has seemingly endless coastlines, fantastic roads and some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. Whats not to like?

What congestion..........the only congestion I get is getting on the ferry......!!

Germany eh.........very clean place.....loved the mono rail in Wupertal (spelling??).......but ya can't beat NZ although my only other place would be Scotland.....lots of Munro bagging.....yum yum...

terbang
7th March 2006, 14:40
New Zealand is like a sleepy town and that, initially, tends to wind a lot of poms and yanks up when they come here to live. Thats fine because the ones that fail to look closer and adjust continuing to whinge generally piss off back home before long thus doing us all a favour. Having ridden motorcycles in many parts of the world I think that I can safely say that NZ is as pretty close to Motorcycle Mecca as any country could be. This is not widely known in the big wide world that finds it hard to comprehend that a smaller downunder country could offer better. This is also very good leaving the great riding experience a nicely kept secret to the lucky few that chose to live here.