PDA

View Full Version : Harold today: Mayors want tolls on exisiting roads!

MisterD
26th January 2006, 09:56
link (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10365420)

As long as it's only for those on four wheels eh?

James Deuce
26th January 2006, 10:00
Nah, this is NZ. They'll bar motorcycles from toll roads.

Fishy
26th January 2006, 10:04
GGGGRRRRRRRRR :mad: :mad:

Finn
26th January 2006, 10:20
So now we have to pay again for all these idiots in the past who didn't plan properly and wasted money.

I'm not surprised at all. It's just another form of tax.

bugjuice
26th January 2006, 10:22
easy, just take the back roads into town and avoid the motorways unless you're going thru.

Swoop
26th January 2006, 16:00
Mayors want tolls on existing roads..

Nope.
Mayors need bending over and being rooted by a rutting rhino...

They seem to forget that we (their boss and taxpayer) have ALREADY paid for these roads...

Bonez
26th January 2006, 16:06
easy, just take the back roads into town and avoid the motorways unless you're going thru.Exactly. Toll all motorways-most are in Auckland anyway..................

Finn
26th January 2006, 16:20
The article is a bit confusing. They say "roads" but mention Transit. By roads they may mean tolling the city centre as they do in other countries. I thought Transit only looked after the motorways???

What pisses me off about their thinking is that yet again they talk about the harbour bridge as being the major bottleneck. What bullshit. The major cause of the bottle neck is when 5 lanes condence down to 2 over Vic Park. You could build a 20 lane harbour bridge and you'd still have the same problem.

Again it's just another form of taxation. Bring this is and I'll laugh in the faces of all the left wing do gooders that voted them in and complain about the tolls.

Has anyone asked where all our road taxes have gone in the past?

Bartman10
26th January 2006, 16:37

Yes... Your "road taxes" go in to the consolidated fund. I.e. the general government purse, and are mostly used to fund health, social security and education.

Cheers.

Swoop
26th January 2006, 16:38
Like the central m'way junction project???

We have been paying taxes since the '70's for this project and it has been sitting there - dormant and NOT being finished - no thanks to our politicians!

Big Chim
26th January 2006, 16:55
I hear in Europe, particualy france you have to pay to use private roads.

So if you want to go on the higway take a ticket where you get on and redem it when you get off and get charged per distance.

I havent seen this first hand so can anyone verify this.

Is this where we are heading??

Toast
26th January 2006, 17:41
What pisses me off about their thinking is that yet again they talk about the harbour bridge as being the major bottleneck. What bullshit. The major cause of the bottle neck is when 5 lanes condence down to 2 over Vic Park. You could build a 20 lane harbour bridge and you'd still have the same problem.

Exactly! It still amazes me that on so many parts of the motorway around Auckland, they think that they add traffic to the flow from on-ramp after on-ramp, while maintaining, or in parts, reducing the same number of lanes...it was never going to work, so why the @%^& did they build it that way? Short-sighted pricks.

Magua
26th January 2006, 17:47
so why the @%^& did they build it that way? Short-sighted pricks.

I myself, am working on a beautiful new motorway project, a massive 2 lanes in either direction. :mad:

Toast
26th January 2006, 17:59
I myself, am working on a beautiful new motorway project, a massive 2 lanes in either direction. :mad:

You mean the two lanes that run between the 3 lanes of stopped cars during rush hour? :mellow:

myvice
26th January 2006, 19:32
Some things I wonder about...
Why did they spend all that money on the new Nelson St off ramp to change it from the right to the left side of the motorway?
If any one knows, please tell me.
And why do car lanes have cats eyes down either side but bike lanes have them down the centre?
And why is dyslexic so hard to spell?

NinjaBoy
26th January 2006, 21:07
Some things I wonder about...
Why did they spend all that money on the new Nelson St off ramp to change it from the right to the left side of the motorway?
If any one knows, please tell me.

Same reason they changed the NW into the city to the LHS.

I use the RH lane past N Street everyday and it has made a difference apart from the temp 70KM signs ... but over time ppl have taken them as guides anyway.

Real test will be when the holidays are over and the School/Uni rush hours comes on !!!!!

jahrasti
27th January 2006, 08:11
[QUOTE=Road Rash]I hear in Europe, particualy france you have to pay to use private roads.

So if you want to go on the higway take a ticket where you get on and redem it when you get off and get charged per distance.

I havent seen this first hand so can anyone verify this.

Yeah ,in Italy you get a ticket from the booth and jump on the motorway,We were in a rental and doing 170 in it and we were getting passed like we were walking it was great.Once we got to our exit there was another booth give them the ticket and you pay distance travelled it was great. Imagine if we had that from auckland to wellinton with good speed limits you could use it for bussiness, travel etc then use back roads for the weekend.The toll charges could pay for road maintenance(yeah right)

ManDownUnder
27th January 2006, 08:15
They seem to forget that we (their boss and taxpayer) have ALREADY paid for these roads...

No they haven't - they're raising money to pay for the new roads...

Don't get me wrong - I'm none too pleased about it either, but it's the way of the world. Globally you can find very few expanding cities that don't have tollroads.

MisterD
27th January 2006, 09:03
I hear in Europe, particualy france you have to pay to use private roads.

That's the case with Motorways in France, but it's worth it because they are empty and there's hardly a copper on the road. Everyone cruises along at 110mph

ManDownUnder
27th January 2006, 09:07
but it's worth it because they are empty

Sounds like Auckland's public transport... right up until you mentioned high speed

Ixion
27th January 2006, 09:11
No they haven't - they're raising money to pay for the new roads...

uh-huh. And these new roads are going where ? And the toll monies will be kept in separate funds , only usable for new roads ? And the amount of money generated by the tolls AFTER administration costs is going to pay for how many miles of new road? (remember why they dropped tolls on the Harbour Bridge? Cos the administration cost of collecting the tolls was more than the tolls brought in )

janno
27th January 2006, 09:26
In Brisvegas and Perth they have 4 and 8 lane roads as normal thoroughfares in the suburbs. They have the room to really spread out but still the traffic is hellish. 99% of the cars are single occupant. The Gateway motorway is two lanes each way only, and the on and off ramps are about 100m long, usually straight off to a set of lights so the whole shebang slows down to a crawl anyway. And they are trying to ban lane splitting here?! Absolutely mad.

ManDownUnder
27th January 2006, 09:56
uh-huh. And these new roads are going where ?

A few off the top of my head...

Here (http://www.opus.co.nz/upperharbourmotorway/)

Here (http://www.transit.govt.nz/projects/view_project.jsp?content_type=project&=edit&primary_key=43&action=edit)

Here (http://www.transit.govt.nz/projects/view_project.jsp?content_type=project&=edit&primary_key=179&action=edit)

Or you can take a peek at the overall summary here (http://www.transit.govt.nz/projects/projects-auckland.jsp)

And the toll monies will be kept in separate funds , only usable for new roads ? And the amount of money generated by the tolls AFTER administration costs is going to pay for how many miles of new road? (remember why they dropped tolls on the Harbour Bridge? Cos the administration cost of collecting the tolls was more than the tolls brought in )

I have no gripe with any of this. I hate bureaucracy.

It's best summed up in a Bob Jones quote from his book on Property. I don;t have it verbatim, but it's to the effect of "the sounds of salvation ringing in my ears when I was told 'you'll never get a job in the Public Service again!'"

I agree - collect the money, pay for the damned road, stop collecting the money. Don't use it to support those on the public tit (either via perk, salaried or beneficiary income streams).

Don't even make it visible to the bastards so they don;t know about it.