PDA

View Full Version : Bringing my bike in

Joni
24th March 2004, 12:38
Hi
I want to bring my bike in from South Africa, rather than buy a new one here. Any tips or suggestions on where to go and who to talk to?
Joni

James Deuce
24th March 2004, 13:02
You need to apply for a Carnet de Passage in the originating country.

Then just ship it. If you are staying here for good then you will need to Register the Bike.

Check out the LTSA site for details.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/

Angry Puppy
24th March 2004, 13:05
Hi Joni,

Check this website out for information on the import process

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/44.html

Fazer Bloke

Angry Puppy
24th March 2004, 13:06
Looks lim Jim can type faster than me!

James Deuce
24th March 2004, 13:07
yeah but you gave him the exact page, so you are definitely the better bloke :)

Angry Puppy
24th March 2004, 13:12
Why thank you kind sir :-)

Joni
24th March 2004, 16:44
thanks for the info - cant wait to get her here... have not been on abike for almost 2 months.... mmmm that cannot be good right!

Two Smoker
24th March 2004, 16:47
thanks for the info - cant wait to get her here... have not been on abike for almost 2 months.... mmmm that cannot be good right!
Definately can't be good, i can't handle not being on a bike for 2 days literally, let alone 2 months:eek5:

aff-man
24th March 2004, 16:48
wooohooooo another saffa rider how much it gonna cost to import a bike???

Joni
24th March 2004, 16:50
Hey is that a 2 smoker or 2 stroker? Hehehe - yeah its been bad. Miss my Honda.

Joni
24th March 2004, 16:51
Trying to get the costs now - but I reckon she is worth it - you seem to know the SA riders, I rode for the African Gladiators... suppose you never heard of them, but it was cool.

aff-man
24th March 2004, 16:57
I dunno a cbr400 costs around $5000 here and they totally drain your bike on the way in so that's new oil,brake fluid, cooland and a new battery. No i havn't heard of them i only got into the riding scene in this country. But now i'm hooked :love: .

Joni
24th March 2004, 17:02
So maybe from what you telling me I should get one here in NZ, back in SA many 400's are considered "grey" imports - is it the same around here?

aff-man
24th March 2004, 17:09
I don't know what a "grey" import is . But i saw a 96 cbr400 going for just under $5000 but i saw your one was a 2000 and that might be harder to get.

Joni
24th March 2004, 17:12
how many k's did the bike have on - and sorry being a girl I must ask about the paint job... Grey Import means imports not officially backed by Honda SA. You run into problems when you want to service her, thats how I landed up with the Honda, she was a clean import.

aff-man
24th March 2004, 17:18
it was yellow and purple but seems to be sold though:
HONDA
[HONDA] CBR400RR, blk/grey, 20,000km, new wof/regn, 2 onrs $3995,(see detail for ph)

Asking Price NZ$3,995.00
look on www.trademe.co.nz, www.te.co.nz or www.bikepoint.co.nz the last one searches most bike shops

Joni
24th March 2004, 17:20
would prefer something with a few less k's - not been ridden to death you know...

aff-man
24th March 2004, 17:20
ooooooooo looky here http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/market/UsedBikeDetail.asp?BikeID=95099&Year=1996

i love cbr400's :love:

Joni
24th March 2004, 17:24
Now thats nice... really nice!!!! My babay had a custom spray. WOW!!! what a stunner...

claire
26th March 2004, 08:54
Hi
I want to bring my bike in from South Africa, rather than buy a new one here. Any tips or suggestions on where to go and who to talk to?
Joni
Hi Joni
I've got a friend immigrating from England and while she was here on holiday we checked out a few bike shops and the most common advice was to sell in the UK and buy here, it may be a little different in SA with the exchange rate though.(I think to her bike wasn't desirable here if she wanted to sell and upgrade). Hope that helps

Claire

SPman
26th March 2004, 11:16
would prefer something with a few less k's - not been driven to death you know... I think that if you know your bikes history, like it and are happy with it and if its not going to be too heinously expensive, bring it in.Nearly all CBR400's in NZ are Grey Imports, as are most other 250/400's. Expect to pay up to $6500 -$7k for a late model, good condition 400.

aff-man
26th March 2004, 12:53
Hell my 250 has done over 100000km and it's still going strong. So if it hasn't been raced or wrung out usually a good buy. :msn-wink:

Kwaka-Kid
26th March 2004, 14:51
Aff-Man a grey import means it was a model made only for a specific market, e.g RVF400's are JDM only, Japanese Domestic Market bikes, they never left the country unless they were sent here as 2nd hand imports, know what i mean? and so as joni said in some countries like UK/SA etc its hard to get the bike worked on, over here we are not so official etc so you can take an RVF into anywhere and still get it serviced. well gotta shoot, and Joni i reckon just buy one over here, and remember we are not as laid back on our speeding laws etc as it sounds like SA is :) -or at least parts of it that ive heard of.

celticyankee
26th March 2004, 14:51
Seems like you got lots of good advice already but.....I just wanted to say I brought my bike here from USA and it wasn't expensive at all. As long as you have papers showing ownership and keep possession of the vehicle for a minimum of 2 yrs after arriving in NZ, it costs $80 for MAF inspection and tax based on vehicle value.

It was really easy and not expensive at all.....what WAS a hassle and expense was getting the VIN inspection.........if your bike is stock you probably won't have any hassles, I had HEAPS of hassles on that process as my bike was built and lots of custom parts........

Hope this helps.......

Safe Journeys to you

aff-man
29th March 2004, 09:11
Cheers KK. Yip joni highway limit is like 100km and it don't make sence untill of course you get out of town and the road is only straight for like 1 km at a time (not that it's a problem or anything). Most bikes sold here and have been imported usually have lowish km. When i asked why i was told the bikes were used only to go to the shop and back ect and not for any real riding. I mean i have put about 7-8000km on this bike in just over 6 months and some bikes coming in have like 17000km since 1990 so if you get it fully serviced should run like new.

Joni
29th March 2004, 10:27
Thanks guys - I wil find out how much it is and then take it from there...

fredie
13th February 2008, 01:49
so what happened too your 400 joni:cool::beer: