PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a chopper of all things

HenryDorsetCase
26th January 2006, 21:07
had a look at it last night. its a Triumph (1965) 650 twin. single carb. Frame has been converted to rigid, and its running what look like late 80's MX forks.

It (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=45479888) looks the part, and started right up and ran (I havent ridden it yet).

He is asking $5500. Its not a huge amount of money (though it does blow my "new proper bike" budget to shit. It has potential to be a large amount of fun.

things I dont know about: old british bikes. magnetos, whether I could put up with the rear end.

anybody have any ideas??

Motu
26th January 2006, 21:45
Well,it's a clean looking chop,not garish,fairly presentable.Drum front brake,rigid rear,but you won't be going too fast,although I don't remember it being that bad - I've don't a few kms on rigid framed bikes with cobra seats.I don't like the bars,you may not find that style easy to ride with...I never did.Oil tank and battery behind the motor I presume,the battery only does lights and ign,no need for it to be big.No magneto,it has points ignition with twin points on the end of the exhaust cam,can be a pain to set up...but you'll get plenty of practice.

Holy Roller
26th January 2006, 22:03
Looked at that myself, one day something similar may be part of the Holy Roller stable. One is either "into" such machines or not, not practical but SO WHAT if it is a bit of you then all the best. As Motu has pointed out, older bikes need extra help to keep them going, constant adjustments.... but thats why one has one:scooter: :first:

Waylander
26th January 2006, 22:37
Meh, engine is too small for my taste and never really liked the one pipe on each side of the bike for cruisers/choppers. If it's something you think you will enjoy,then go for it. You could always sell it again if it's not what you expected. Or do what I would do and change things lol.

scumdog
27th January 2006, 01:51
Don't listen to Waylander - he's just a boy after all!

Only neg, imho, are the bars - need to be narrower and or the ends 'pulled' around, if it seems sound I'd go for it (and a work-shop manual)!!

Waylander
27th January 2006, 05:36
Don't listen to Waylander - he's just a boy after all!:finger: Lol, but that's the cool thing about custombikes, they are as cool as the owner wants them to be. I will never put someone down for riding a custom chop.

Anyway... I say go for it and as stated last post, if there is something about the bike you don't like you can always change it.

Troll
27th January 2006, 07:14
It has potential to be a large amount of fun.

things I dont know about: old british bikes. magnetos, whether I could put up with the rear end.

anybody have any ideas??

It also has the potential to be a whole bunch of trouble

you don't know anything about britsh bikes? well this would be a great way to find out

$5000 would go a long way towards buying something newer and probably more reliable

ezinnz
27th January 2006, 08:01
Well, from the pics, it looks like a nice clean ride to me. Good looking bike.

Things like bars are nothing. Ride it and if they don't suit cosmetically or comfort wise, swap them out.

The rigid isn't a problem, I've been on one for 4 years now and never had an issue. Saying that, I don't do nationwide tours on my bike every summer either but it still does more than a few miles every month.

I like it. It is far more realistic than a lot of those overpriced US imports guys are trying to sell on TradeMe these days.

Ixion
27th January 2006, 08:35
It also has the potential to be a whole bunch of trouble

you don't know anything about britsh bikes? well this would be a great way to find out

$5000 would go a long way towards buying something newer and probably more reliable

Nah, those early Triumph unit 650s were pretty good for reliability. Nothing really gave trouble, main problems were down to stuff coming off/loose because of vibration, and bodgery by owners. Check for butchered screw heads and such like.

HenryDorsetCase
27th January 2006, 08:40
Thanks people.

I am quite willing to lwrench on it (I get to buy a bunch of new spanners too... ALL of mine are metric. My socket sets have both thankfully.

Agree re: the bars and the seat. the look I like is '50's bobber, so off to ebay for a spring seat (solo) and some other bars.

One of the things that attracts me to it is the possibility of adding some personal input.....

I'll let you know how I get on with it. testride tomorrow. (the gearlever is WHERE ???!!!)

Ixion
27th January 2006, 08:59
.. (the gearlever is WHERE ???!!!)

On the CORRECT SIDE. Not the least good thing about such a bike is that the gear lever and brake pedals are WHERE THEY OUGHT TO BE, and were for donkey's years before the blurdy Yanks stuffed things up.

Motu
27th January 2006, 09:28
Yeah,left foot is where your brake should be,cause your right hand is on the brake too,also puts your right leg on the uphill side of cambered roads,although that doesn't matter on a low bike.Triumphs are reliable,the wiring will be custom and not made by Joe Lucas,should be just a minimum of wires.Motors are solid and basic,but after 40 years knackered threads and critical engine surfaces will be damaged.There is no need for oil leaks or loosening bolts if you take care - all the bad reputation these bikes got was from the abuse dished out on them by owners...they were all ignorant ham fisted butchers.

HenryDorsetCase
2nd February 2006, 10:40
I let it go. I have a bike to get rid of, then I'll start looking seriously. The timing just wasnt right. It got passed in at just over $4k, and was offered to all at $5k, and someone else bought it. Good for them, it was cool.

next time though....

R1madness
20th February 2006, 08:43
Missed the thread sorry. This was a mates bike. It would have been a good buy. It has been reliable for him for years. Lucky man that brought it.

harleyman
2nd April 2006, 10:31
Yeah this thread is pretty dead but i'll chuck in my 2 cents worth anyway. Theres a great new custom mods and chopper place in Christchurch. Radical choppers and customs limited. They are very new but are already taking orders (including mine) and they are agents for downunder choppers in NZ. I guess you can give them a call or check out there website at http://www.rccl.co.nz there aint a lot there yet as the website isn't complete but with the guys running it it will be worth bookmarking there business.

Cheers

HenryDorsetCase
13th April 2006, 11:01
Yeah this thread is pretty dead but i'll chuck in my 2 cents worth anyway. Theres a great new custom mods and chopper place in Christchurch. Radical choppers and customs limited. They are very new but are already taking orders (including mine) and they are agents for downunder choppers in NZ. I guess you can give them a call or check out there website at http://www.rccl.co.nz there aint a lot there yet as the website isn't complete but with the guys running it it will be worth bookmarking there business.

Cheers

I actually saw that shop last night. I saw the huge-ass mural they have first to be honest. some nice kit in there as well. big blocks and a v rod and a cool little yellow Sporty.