PDA

View Full Version : Newbies First Trip/Trackday on the SV650S

Leong
26th January 2006, 22:19
HRCNZ Track Day
Moving from VTR250 to SV650S

Yesterday morning I left for the Honda Riders Club Track Day in Taupo at 5am, hoping the weather would improve. I had bought a one piece rainsuit the previous day, and this and some cheap plastic gloves over my riding gloves from the $2 Shop kept me warm and completely dry in the light showers I had on the way. Compared to my previous trip on the VTR 250, this trip was far more relaxed. The SV650S is so much more stable at any speed, and though still running in, there was plenty of power to overtake. The bike is also far more stable in crosswinds, thankfully as I passed thru Matamata and saw the trees that had been uprooted during the night. The fairing makes higher speeds much more comfortable. Although there wasn't heavy rain the roads were wet, and overtaking trucks was tricky because of the spray of water they throw up, both reducing visibility because of the mist, and getting on your visor. Not much fun, but a good learning experience. Got to Taupo on one tank of fuel, refueled and headed for the track, on time.

Turning up at my first Honda Riders Club event on a Suzuki wasn't as out of place as I might have imagined. The mix of bikes was the usual you might see anywhere else, except for the lack of gixxers. After a short briefing we were driven around the track on a truck and shown the lines, and the changes from the previous track days. My first time there and I'm not sure whether changes were done after the last KB track day, but the sweeper is now in a bit closer, to give greater run off area and not banked, and the hairpin is also not banked. We were split into three groups and being my first time and a nana I picked the slow group. In our group were a Z1000, Fazer 1000, CB1300, GN250, a new CBR250(?) and me. Our first run was on a damp track, following the instructor...Hayden Fitzgerald around single file at slowly increasing pace.... Fortunately I was one of two who kept pace with Hayden, unlike the rest, stuck behind the GN250, and not allowed to overtake. Didn't take too long to get used to the idea of being on a racetrack, but found it strange not having mirrors to look in. Our next run was on our own, with Hayden in the field observing and showing the way, etc as necessary. Good to have more practice time on a now dry track. Next run was a no brakes run to encourage smoothness and judgement of speed. I seemed more comfortable with this than the rest of our group as I managed to pass the three bigger bikes and lap them. :first: Passing was only allowed on the straight which was a pain as the two 250s were much slower then the rest. Highlight of the day was in this session when it was my turn with Hayden, and he led me going faster and faster till I got my toe down for the first time. :devil2: Tried to get me to get my bum off the seat too, but I wasn't really at that level yet. The next two runs were free runs and following this rain arrived and after one wet run I decided I'd had enough. I'd learned a lot already, and wasn't keen to push my new bike any further in the rain. I was happy with my decision to run the SV rather than the VTR. Although I would have probably lapped at virtually the same pace in the VTR, I'm sure I have accelerated my learning of the new bike. It would also have been far more difficult overtaking the bigger bikes down the straight on the VTR.

Coming home today I had all day, so waited for the roads to dry, then headed up Poihipi Road and then thru to Te Kuiti, up SH3 to Otorohanga and turned off there to go to Pirongia and Ngaruawahia. Up SH1 to Rangiriri, off there to 22, then to Mercer where the new overbridge over SH1 to Koheroa Road to Mangatawhiri was open. Home via Hunua. The road through Benneydale to Te Kuiti was in my opinion, much more entertaining than going the shorter way thru Te Awamutu, and I would prefer to go this way next time if time wasn't an issue.

With more than 1600km on the SV's odo, the break in was over, and I explored the upper regions of the tachometer on the way home. I said motorcycling was fun in a previous post. :niceone: But it's much funner now, and from reading VTWIN's recent posts about going from a SV1000 to a gixxer, there's more fun to be had perhaps, in the future. But for now, the SV650 is plenty for me. I love the instant power, no matter what gear, and overtaking is so easy, that traffic doesn't bother me to anywhere near the same degree. ( Coming out of Tirau on the way down, there were four truck and trailer units and three cars and where I might have given up before and just followed, I got past them all without any real risk before the passing lanes into Putaruru ). I have found that unlike the VTR250, cars tend to pull over to let you pass... not that they need to. (I still have a standard zorst BTW so it must be the black fairing or my approach speed). One thing I have to re learn is changing gears when under near full throttle acceleration. With the bike taking off and me trying to hold on, it's more effort moving forward to reach the clutch lever, and it's also harder to put your left toe down after changing up so the next gear can be selected. If you don't do this, you pick the same gear, instead of the next one up.... not a good look or sound, lucky I don't have a loud zorst to make mistakes even more obvious!! :argh: I suspect the trick may be to grip the tank more with your legs, but if any experienced riders read this, any tips would be appreciated!!. An unexpected difference I've noticed is the increased wind noise, due to my height and the fairing height. Earplugs are necessary on all but the shortest trips.

The SV's handling in standard form is confidence inspiring. The Pirelli Diablos must help too. I have found that I'm now even attacking downhill right handers, and today attacked the downhill right hander that I had my little off on in September last year. But I do have some issues with the rear suspension. Currently the preload is at its standard setting at the front, and on it's minimum setting on the rear to reduce the ride height so I can get my feet on the ground. At speeds over 80km/h any mid-corner bumps can unsettle the suspension and it becomes quite "floaty". Any suggestions/comments?

The SV650 has now done 1875km, ( in 8 days ). Covered in bugs and dirt, it got a good clean this afternoon and now looks better than when I got it!! Tomorrow it'll get the polish it deserves. I love it!! Life is good, and motorcycling is FUN!! Oh, and if there's still room, I'm coming to the next KB track day!!:done:

NinjaBoy
27th January 2006, 19:48
Sounds like you had a great time and made the right choice taking the SV!! Bring on Summer.

Looks like I'll have my work cut out trying to keep up with you now.:no:

Oh yeah... thanks for the text telling me how great the weather and trackday was... while I was at work on a miserable wet weekday..:msn-wink:

madboy
27th January 2006, 21:32
I found at the trackday in December that it was only really at the end of the straight and into the hairpin that I was using the brakes anyway, most of the rest of the time there were sufficient bikes around to just button off a bit earlier and you were down to a comfortable cornering speed by the time the corner rocked up. The track surface was pretty average when we were there, the recent construction, overflow from surface flooding the night before etc. Good track though for the little bikes, since it's definitely not a power circuit. A 600 could lap as fast as a 1000 IMO.

Good to get something down, aye? First a toe, then the bum off the seat, next thing you'll be investing in knee sliders and moaning about the lack of clearance to your exhaust :devil2: Or perhaps not.

Your comment about the acceleration. I wouldn't get too worried about it. For one, you don't need a clutch. Seriously. As you back off the accelerator a bit, click the gear lever up and whack on the gas again. You'll be amazed how easy it is. You'll get used to the power pretty quickly. On an SV650 you shouldn't have to worry about the front getting too light (unless WT mistakes yours for Riffs), but lean forward as you accelerate anyway and you'll still have control over the feet and hands while under full power. The more you sit upright or back, there will be more wind pressure and more trying to pull you off the back of the bike. Or wheelies... which may or may not be the desired outcome ;)

Leong
29th January 2006, 18:38
Oh yeah... thanks for the text telling me how great the weather and trackday was... while I was at work on a miserable wet weekday..:msn-wink:
No worries!! (Sarcasm accepted and dealt with appropriately) I was so surprised about the weather, given what we had the day before....:)

Good to get something down, aye? First a toe, then the bum off the seat, next thing you'll be investing in knee sliders and moaning about the lack of clearance to your exhaust :devil2: Or perhaps not.

Your comment about the acceleration. I wouldn't get too worried about it. For one, you don't need a clutch. :

Always good (and fun) to have new challenges to work towards!! Will re-read the recent thread about clutchless gear changes !

Enjoyed the power yesterday on the New Riders Recon Ride. I'll always remember on my first KB ride, the manner in which Qkchk, Juzzer et al passed me when I was going "quickly" on my 250 down an unnamed straight. I did similar to poor Erik yesterday on the same straight.... all to continue a KB tradition/initiation of course...:devil2:

boomer
29th January 2006, 18:53
Hi Leong,

i've been planning to book one of the track days with HRC for some time now; putting it off for one of the days when Love and slight are there.

If you wanna hook up on one of the next HRC days give me a shout, i'll be keen as mustard mate.

Looks like you had a great day buddy!!

Leong
29th January 2006, 19:43
Hi Boomer,

JAred was there last week... looking after the "quick" guys!!

I've "registered an interest" in the track day on 22 Mar using the "extended track", trying to get my skills up for the next KB track day!!

PM me if you like...

boomer
29th January 2006, 19:52
yeah i will do, i;ll get my ass in to gear and check out the dates and PM ya :D

skelstar
29th January 2006, 20:55
Hey L, sounds like youre going through what I will be in a couple of months. Look forward to seeing you up in Taupo for the KBTrackDay III.

Highlander
29th January 2006, 21:12
Hi Boomer,

JAred was there last week... looking after the "quick" guys!!

I've "registered an interest" in the track day on 22 Mar using the "extended track", trying to get my skills up for the next KB track day!!

PM me if you like...

A good read. I'm in for the March one too.
Never quite sure what to expect with these things, but you've given a good blurb. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Leong
30th January 2006, 04:59
Hey L, sounds like youre going through what I will be in a couple of months. Look forward to seeing you up in Taupo for the KBTrackDay III.

Mate... it is so cool!! As you know, you have much to look forward to, but don't be in too much hurry, enjoy your time on the 250 while you have it, especially if your Hyobag is as flickable thru the really tight twisty stuff as my VTR was.:banana:

And that road up the west coast from Wanaka is one of my fsavourites too!! See you in May!

Leong
30th January 2006, 05:17
A good read.
Thanks for saying that... I know it was too long.... but I was real keen, and still find it hard to edit anything out!!

I'm in for the March one too.
Never quite sure what to expect with these things, but you've given a good blurb. I'm quite looking forward to it.

They say it's a "celebration" of the opening of the new track... so yes it will be interesting to see what happens on the day. Robyn's a real enthusiast and I'm sure whatever happens, it will be good. Good to have a few other KB'er there!!

Leong
1st February 2006, 21:00
Hey Guys,
Seems to be some interest in this Mar 22 Track day here. Someone else PM'd me too. Got a reply from Kim at HRC and it's all on, details and indemnity forms out in the mail soon, so if you haven't registered and want to go, get yr email in...

Zapf
5th February 2006, 21:24
Ha! Great fun did you have :)

yes... grip the tank and head down butt up. Less buffering by the wind too.

With regards to the suspension... think factory setting is like 4 noch up from soft.... so your suspension is very soft I guess. you need to get the bike lowered properly, via the dog bone (linkage) or the seat... PM Cajen he can tell u where to go.

coming from memory... mid corner bumps are the worse for my SV too... its the factory suspension. Think Ohlins or Frosty might both know a fix for it.

Not sure what engine oil u running... try Motul 5100 if you haven't... I personally like it.

Leong
6th February 2006, 07:02
Hi Zapf,
Sounds like you guys had fun in the South too!!

Gripping the tank? I polished my bike aftre the track day, and it looks good but it's too shiny and slippery to grip..... still learning..... so what does one do... not polish those bits on the side?

I've been fiddling with the suspension since then... putting it back to standard trying it out, and and trying the settings in between. It mainly effects the ride comfort without improving the wallowing at speed. Think I need to increase the damping, and from what I've read, a replacement shock either from a GSXR or Ohlins is the answer. Currently have it set to 1 up from softest at the rear, and one softer than standard on the front, and that is probably the best compromise for me. I'm thinking that the suspension's going to be my first mod!

GAve up on doing my own maintenance years ago, but these bikes seem quite user friendly. Have enjoyed tinkering with the scottoiler and gargre door opener so far ( and fiddling with the suspension! ). I'll try the Motul oil.

Cheers,

Zapf
6th February 2006, 10:10
Yea grip the tank with your knees. might pay to put some paint protection film / skuff proof at the contact areas... as you'll dull the paint work sooner or later.

For what its worth... my SV's settings are Front 1/2 notch harder than factory, Rear standard setting or 1 notch harder with luggage. Any harder it gets worse as the damping is shit. I found that tires with good bump absorbson ability helps too.

I hear the guy for WP suspension is in Kumeu.... so might be a tad closer.