PDA

View Full Version : roughly how long...wangas to paeroa?

sunhuntin
29th January 2006, 22:52
thinking about coming up the races [provided i can get saturday and monday off] anyone got any idea how long it would take to get from wanganui to paeroa? seems like about a days trip one way...hmmm. also what is the accomodation [tentgrounds] like up that way. nothin in the travel book i got today.

might be travelling with a friend, not sure yet. will be on gn250 and 400 suzuki something-or-other, lol. [top speed of about 70k for the 400, so will stick with him if he comes. top speed of 100k if alone] will also be travelling with tent and sleeping bag, plus the usual jackets etc.

many thanks

Fishy
30th January 2006, 09:40
Hmmm never riden from that way but at a rough guess I would imagine no longer than 1 1/2hours at the speed limit. Just an estimate though.

Goblin
30th January 2006, 09:48
I reckon roughly 5-6 hours at 100km/h ish. Depending on how many stops and how long you stop for and which route you take. It's a fair long trip but a thoroughly enjoyable one. I think there's a camping set up not far from the track. If you just wonder around looking for tents you should find it OK.
Have fun and we might see ya there.:wavey:

marty
30th January 2006, 09:53
it's about 400k, so at an average of 70k, it's gonna take you nearly 6 hours

marty
30th January 2006, 10:00
that's going wanganui, nat. park, over to tokaanu, western access to tokoroa, onto sh1 to tirau, then 27 to matamata, then up to paeroa from there.

sunhuntin
30th January 2006, 16:11
marty, thats the road i was planning, but i hear today they are manually bringing down rocks on the paras, one woman said a few dropped quite close to her car, so i think id go south to bulls and take that turn off.

are there any "must sees" along the way? will likely stop at ruapehu and lake taupo, just for a few photos and maybe gas up. not sure how many gas stops would be needed.

someone also suggest going te awamutu as well, and cutting off at cambridge, so that would go via taumranui, so that would bypass lake taupo.

Kornholio
30th January 2006, 16:42
Hmmm never riden from that way but at a rough guess I would imagine no longer than 1 1/2hours at the speed limit. Just an estimate though.

I think she means Wanganui, not Whangamata(25 mins...maybe not doing the speed limit)

marty
30th January 2006, 17:43
marty, thats the road i was planning, but i hear today they are manually bringing down rocks on the paras, one woman said a few dropped quite close to her car, so i think id go south to bulls and take that turn off.

are there any "must sees" along the way? will likely stop at ruapehu and lake taupo, just for a few photos and maybe gas up. not sure how many gas stops would be needed.

someone also suggest going te awamutu as well, and cutting off at cambridge, so that would go via taumranui, so that would bypass lake taupo.

bulls/taihape/desert rd is boring and straight, i am sure any rock falls on the parapara rd would be appropriately warned - how many cars/bikes travel thru there daily?

if you go national park/tokaanu, tun off at the chateau and go up there for lunch - it is very nice (but expensive). there is a cafe at the airport opposite the chateau rd i think.

on the western access rd, just after tokaanu, take a road on the right down to waihi bay - it's lovely down there. otherwise, climb the big hill and take the next right down to kurutau/omori - awesome beaches.

i wouldn't go te awamutu - it would be the long way about.

sunhuntin
30th January 2006, 18:11
where abouts is tokaanu? cant see it on either the jasons or aa map ive got here?

so your route would follow SH4 as far as taumranui, pick up 41 to 32 and follow 32 to tokaroa and proceed to get lost in what appears to be a spiderweb, lol. [putararu area]

does the black line on the patched together map look right? couldnt get the roads on it to match right, lol.

sunhuntin
2nd February 2006, 20:43
ok, so looks like the ride is going ahead....we wont take the paras, ive heard reports they are in shit condition right now and not overly safe for bikes....my boss had something break on his boat trailer, which caused the boat to slip and get a hole in it, so it must be pretty bad. so we will be going down to bulls and taking that turn off. we will pretty much follow SH1 right the way through.

if anyone wants to hook up anywhere along the way, post here. we wont be going any faster then maybe 80k [harrys top speed on his bike] we plan to leave wanganui at around 7am with an estimated arrival of about 12 hours later, give or take, to take into account gas/food/piss stops etc. so let me know where you want to meet, if anyone does want to, and ill pm you for more info.