PDA

View Full Version : Rotorua-East Cape-Hawkwes Bay-Rotorua.

Matt Bleck
30th January 2006, 11:04
Left Rotorua about 7am, it was overcast but nice and warm. Pretty much had the road to ourself's past the lakes and thru the Rotomas where the road was drying from over night rain. Meet Steve on the V11 at the second Kawerau turn off then it was into Whakatane for gas. From there we headed to Opotiki for another gas stop.

With the weather clearing it was on to Waihou Bay with a breif stop at the Maraenui Lookout for photos. Arived at Waihou bay at about 10.45 to find they had no 96 octane fuel. Had a talk to the pump attendent who reckoned Te Araroa had 96 so we decided to get fuel and lunch there. The ride from Opotiki to Te araroa is absolutly brillant, winding roads and beatiful scenery. It was at times hard to keep your eyes on the road.

Got to Te Araroa to find that there was no 96 octane fuel there so we all had to full up on 91. So we gased up then ordered lunch which took it's time in showing up (the locals are on their own time up there). After lunch I wondered down the beach to find that the pub had been burnt down, not sure how long ago.

From there our next stop was Tologa Bay for some pics of the Wharf. The road was really bad thru this part, extremely uneven surfaces, gravel and some huge washouts the results of the Coast's run in with the recent bad weather and flooding. Still a good ride, saw a big group of Gold Wings etc coming out of Ruatoria, and had a guy on a VFR or something tailing us the whole way until we turned in to the Wharf.

After a rest and photo's the next stop was Kaiti Hill lookout in Gisborne. From here the roads improved and we where there in no time. Got some more pics gassed up at Makaraka and headed to Wairoa. An hour later and we're gassing up in Wairoa where someones card got eatin. bummer!!

Next stop the Mohaka viaduct for another quick stop and photos. Then on to Bay View just out of Napier. By now my ass was really starting to ache and fatiuge had well and truley set in by then and I was really keen to get home. So we had a quick feed fulled the bikes and headed off for Taupo and then back to Rotorua.

A great day but I am VERY sore. Can't wait for next time!!

skelstar
30th January 2006, 11:07
Good write up mate. How many K's in the end (so to speak)?

Colapop
30th January 2006, 11:11
Doesn't sound like you stopped in to see my Daddy!! He's in Wairoa. It's really nice country all the way down that coast. Next time you come through remember to take some shorts and stop at Morere hot springs (about half way between Gisborne and Wairoa, before Nuhaka) have a soak to ease that sore ass!!

Matt Bleck
30th January 2006, 11:18
All up we did 940 kms.

Matt Bleck
30th January 2006, 11:27
These are taken from Hicks Bay lookout.

Matt Bleck
30th January 2006, 11:32
Tolaga Bay Wharf. Currently under repair.

Matt Bleck
30th January 2006, 11:36
Over looking Gisborne.

Matt Bleck
30th January 2006, 11:41
Ther was a plaque here, but I couldn't be arsed reading it.

yungatart
30th January 2006, 11:42
MSTRS and I did the Opotoki - East cape - Napier leg of that this time last year-you are right, its spectacular scenery. You shoulda called to see us- whoops, we went to Wairoa for lunch on the riverbank.

Matt Bleck
30th January 2006, 11:45
Ahh,Wairoa.

I was supose to get a photo of the Light House.....

TONO
31st January 2006, 17:46
Bloody great ride mate, wish you had given me a call, would have enjoyed that on me wee bike.:ride:
Great pics, bet your arse was sore on those sprot bikes....hahaha:buggerd:
Did that trip 30 years ago on a twofiddy with clipons & from memory my arse & back went to sleep.:violin:

Warr
31st January 2006, 17:54
Got to Te Araroa to find that there was no 96 octane fuel there so we all had to full up on 91. So we gased up then ordered lunch which took it's time in showing up (the locals are on their own time up there). After lunch I wondered down the beach to find that the pub had been burnt down, not sure how long ago.

The pub is around to the left ... all gone ? Stayed there easter last year... wasnt too bad. Where shall we stay nex time ??

Matt Bleck
1st February 2006, 12:08
Bloody great ride mate, wish you had given me a call, would have enjoyed that on me wee bike.:ride:
Great pics, bet your arse was sore on those sprot bikes....hahaha:buggerd:
Did that trip 30 years ago on a twofiddy with clipons & from memory my arse & back went to sleep.:violin:

Shit sorry mate....

Don't worry there will be a next time. :eek:

emaN
1st February 2006, 13:35
pub burnt down only wks ago...heard something on the news me-thinks..

sounded like a top strop! next time it could be an over nighter?

good pix too bro! gotta see me the footage now..

Matt Bleck
1st February 2006, 14:48
Yip, stay over night at Tolaga Bay next time.