PDA

View Full Version : Bike Maintenance

RnB Fan
30th January 2006, 14:03
My bike is running a bit rough and is not as easy to start at the moment and so I thought I would be clever and check/replace the spark plug. It can't be that difficult surely!!!! To get to the plug I need to remove the petrol tank. To remove the petrol tank I need to remove the seat. To remove the seat I need to remove all the plastic bits on the sides of the bike. Not too bad really once I sussed out where all the screws are hidden etc. The good people at the bike shop tell me I need a "D" type plug spanner to remove the plug so I duly purchase one only to find it is too long and I can't fit it down into the well as it catches on the frame. I take it back and swap it for a shorter one only to find that the spanner provided doesn't fit into the well where the spark plug resides. I have since tried differing sockets and anything else I can find all to no avail as I can't seem to get near the offending spark plug. Anybody mechanically minded out there who can offer any advice. And yes I know I could always send the bike to a shop and let the professionals service it but it's got me annoyed now and I hate being beaten by a piece of machinery.

froggyfrenchman
30th January 2006, 14:26
did you not get a tool kit with the bike? there should be a plugspanner in there if you did. failing that, the easiest way would be to get a kb member that lives near to come assess the suituation and help ya through it, always easier to figure out exactly what needs to happen in person.

Groins_NZ
30th January 2006, 14:44
Someone might have a manual that could give you the socket size required or you could maybe find one lingering on the Web. There was a thread on here that listed a whole lot of Service Manuals for different bikes... [searching]

Groins_NZ
30th January 2006, 14:45
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10556&highlight=manual

idb
30th January 2006, 14:47
Maybe a sparkplug socket to fit your 3/8" drive socket set?

Groins_NZ
30th January 2006, 14:49
Jahmin might know since he had his Djebel stolen from Wellington :mellow:
\
Could PM him?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=2755

jonbuoy
30th January 2006, 18:03
Yeah there buried pretty deep in bike engines, I'm always worries bout a big lump of dirt being trapped around the plug and dropping into the motor once you pull them out.

Ixion
30th January 2006, 19:53
I have this problem with the SRX250. It's a feature of the 4 valve singles with their central sparkplugs. I find the best is an 18mm deep reach socket (from any tool shop), an extension piece, and then a short length of square section steel in the top of the extension then I put an open ender on that. I cut the square section to length so it just fits under the frame member. This was I can actually do it without taking the tank off - I assemble all this in situ - socket over the plug, extension slips in on an angle, then drop the square section in then reach through with the open ender.

riffer
30th January 2006, 20:14
Ah - you bring back fond memories of my FZR750.

I found the best way to get the plugs out in that sucker (without taking the engine out) was to use the extensions in a couple of socket sets and a really small plug socket.

Of course there was only enough room in there to use the ratchet one click at a time, but that's another story...

Just remember if it was meant to be easy any old idiot would be able to fix their bikes, and then god only knows who'd be owning them.

It ain't easy being one of the elite motorists...

RnB Fan
31st January 2006, 09:49
Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of not having to remove the tank etc everytime I want to remove the spark plug.

Cheers

Pwalo
31st January 2006, 09:58
Ahh young man, it sounds like you need an air cooled, two valve four stroke. Unfortunately most modern bikes are a wee bit awkward to work on.

I suggest that you do the good old google search on your particular model. And count youself lucky that you're not trying to do the plug change on a V4.

Ixion
31st January 2006, 11:07
Actually, what you need is a two stroke!

Motu
31st January 2006, 11:27
Well my 2 stroke is not easy to change the plug on! Bloody annoying as you can see it plain as day too...but it's jammed in and even hard to get the cap off,then I slip the plug spanner from the tool kit on,this is really just an adapter which I can fit a 19mm open ender on (ahem,8in cresent)

With the singles like your SRX I use a wobble extention,this allows you to come in at a slight angle to clear frame and tank.Some modern DOHC cars have restrictors in the cyl head and your normal 5/8 plug socket cant get down.....''bugger mate,we don't have the special tools,better take your fancy car to the dealer and pay through the nose for a plug change''.

Ixion
31st January 2006, 11:31
Superior gloat. *MY* two strokes are dead easy to take the plugs out (just as well, too) .

.produKt
6th February 2006, 23:18
Well this is a maintaince thread. so i have some things to ask :)

As far as replacing chain, sprockets & fork oil's go - how often does this need to be done?

And what about engine oil changes?
I cant say i've ever done a oil change on a Motorbike, but ive done enough on my car to be able to do it blindfolded and at night :done:

Highlander
6th February 2006, 23:23
If you are blind folded does it matter if it is day or night?

.produKt
7th February 2006, 14:12
lol -__-~ Maybe not :D

Bonez
11th February 2006, 05:12
Well this is a maintaince thread. so i have some things to ask :)

As far as replacing chain, sprockets & fork oil's go - how often does this need to be done?

And what about engine oil changes?
I cant say i've ever done a oil change on a Motorbike, but ive done enough on my car to be able to do it blindfolded and at night :done:
Some good tips here- http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/generaltips.htm

Hint-GOOGLE IS YOUR FREIND ;)