PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Vs Kiwifruit spraying truck - Te Puke

fpsware
25th March 2004, 19:50
I've proven it first hand, motorcycle versus truck and still alive.

Friday morning (19th) 100 metres from work I was only doing 90 kilometres an hour, a truck pulled out in front of me. Basically the rest is history. Motorbike versus truck equals hospital time plus lots of broken bones.

1 x broken right shoulder (clavicle)
2 x broken right ribs (second and third)
1 x broken right arm (both bones) + 2 x titanium plates added
1 x severely swollen and bruised right leg
5 x days in hospital

Girlfriend allowing me to get back on a motorcycle = priceless. (I didn't expect that one)

Personally, I don't recommend repeating the experience. But it has proven that motorbike versus truck is possible. And no, the truck driver did not have any injuries nor did the truck.

A worthwhile investment in Dragon NaturallySpeaking has made all this typing possible.

Ms Piggy
25th March 2004, 20:06
:wacko: Oh no! I am sooooo sorry! So how long to recover?

I hope the truck driver was severely remorseful and gets his arse busted!

Take care & do everything the doctors say! :argh:

erik
25th March 2004, 20:13

:shit: Far out man. I hope you recover quickly. It's shocking how many motorcycle accidents there have been lately. Just today my sister phoned from uni saying that there had been an accident on Symonds street involving a motorcycle carrying a pillion and a car doing a u-turn.

Get well soon.

Holy Roller
25th March 2004, 20:21
Hope you recover quickly.
You sure have a list of injuries racked up.
And one good woman.
:niceone:
Hate it when someone pulls out in front of ya.
Was the truck one of those small low futuristic looking types?
:spudguita

fpsware
25th March 2004, 20:21
:wacko: Oh no! I am sooooo sorry! So how long to recover?

I hope the truck driver was severely remorseful and gets his arse busted!

Take care & do everything the doctors say! :argh:
I've been on the phone today for the first time talking to the police about the accident. because of the severity of my entries that charging the truckdriver with reckless driving causing bodily harm. It's a far more serious penalty. he will lose his license for twelve months and receive a hefty fine.

Apparently,he is very remorseful and has been trying to get in touch with me since the day of the accident.

All said and done,It could have been much worse.At least I can walk and I'm not in a wheelchair(I may be on crutches and need a wheelchair).

fpsware
25th March 2004, 20:30
Hope you recover quickly.
You sure have a list of injuries racked up.
And one good woman.
:niceone:
Hate it when someone pulls out in front of ya.
Was the truck one of those small low futuristic looking types?
:spudguita
I've had vehicles pull out in front of me before but I've always been a will to void them. This time it was slow-moving and he was across the entire width of the road.

yes it was a those small futuristic looking types. As small as they are, they don't move an inch.

MikeL
25th March 2004, 20:34
Well here I was feeling a bit sorry for myself because of my one broken bone and you've got a whole catalogue of them. I've heard that broken ribs cause more pain than almost any other fracture because they hurt every time you breathe. I feel for you (and realize how lightly I got off). Did you end up in Tauranga Hospital? When I lived in Tga in the 80s I made a promotional video for the Hospital Board and got to know the place really well - some great people there, really caring and helpful.
I suppose the prognosis for your bike is not so good??
BTW you should get your money back on your voice recognition software - it turned "injuries" into "entries". Now if only we could do that in real life...

fpsware
25th March 2004, 20:49
Well here I was feeling a bit sorry for myself because of my one broken bone and you've got a whole catalogue of them. I've heard that broken ribs cause more pain than almost any other fracture because they hurt every time you breathe. I feel for you (and realize how lightly I got off). Did you end up in Tauranga Hospital? When I lived in Tga in the 80s I made a promotional video for the Hospital Board and got to know the place really well - some great people there, really caring and helpful.
I suppose the prognosis for your bike is not so good??
BTW you should get your money back on your voice recognition software - it turned "injuries" into "entries". Now if only we could do that in real life...Yes I ended up in Tauranga hospital. I can't vouch any other hospital in New Zealand, but so far Tauranga is on top of my list. The nurses and the doctors were amazing. whenever I needed a nurse or a doctor one was on hand at the drop of a hat (most of the time).

The ribs only hurt when I sneeze, laugh, yawn or sit funny. Strangely, the most painful injury is my leg. It doesn't have any broken bones but it is severely swollen and bruised.

While I haven't seen the bike since the accident, I've been told it's pretty much a write-off.

Jackrat
25th March 2004, 20:52
Dang,I never know what to say in times like this.
So just get well quick mate.

fpsware
25th March 2004, 20:54
Dang,I never know what to say in times like this.
So just get well quick mate.yeah, the same here.

Firefight
25th March 2004, 20:55
Yeah man, sorry to hear about your accident, I guess its not much consulation but it could have been a lot worse, hope you have a speedy recovery, and perhaps get some restatuion(sp?) $$$$, I guess the local KBers down there will be in contact .. take care

Firefight. :wacko:

Ms Piggy
25th March 2004, 21:59
Well here I was feeling a bit sorry for myself because of my one broken bone and you've got a whole catalogue of them.

Same here! And you are so philosophical about it! :2thumbsup Well done.

Zed
25th March 2004, 22:37

Friday morning (19th) 100 metres from work I was only doing 90 kilometres an hour, a truck pulled out in front of me. Basically the rest is history. Motorbike versus truck equals hospital time plus lots of broken bones.

1 x broken right shoulder (clavicle)
2 x broken right ribs (second and third)
1 x broken right arm (both bones) + 2 x titanium plates added
1 x severely swollen and bruised right leg
5 x days in hospital

Girlfriend allowing me to get back on a motorcycle = priceless. (I didn't expect that one)

Personally, I don't recommend repeating the experience. But it has proven that motorbike versus truck is possible. And no, the truck driver did not have any injuries nor did the truck.

A worthwhile investment in Dragon NaturallySpeaking has made all this typing possible.
Sorry to hear about your accident fpsware :weep: It sounds like you have some very supportive people around you which is a blessing. I pray you have a speedy recovery and that you are back on two feet soon (& 2 wheels).

Has the accident changed your attitude about motorcycles at all? :eek5:

Zed

fpsware
25th March 2004, 22:39
Yeah man, sorry to hear about your accident, I guess its not much consulation but it could have been a lot worse, hope you have a speedy recovery, and perhaps get some restatuion(sp?) $$$$, I guess the local KBers down there will be in contact .. take care

Firefight. :wacko:
It could have been a lot worse--I could be crippled by now.Personally,I think I escaped with relatively few injuries considering the situation.

I've got a few expenses I'm trying to claim for from the third-partys insurance company. most importantly are my glasses, and the closing the ambulance guy had to cut off. I guess I'll start that rigmarole tomorrowBut for now, I'm very happy to be alive.

fpsware
25th March 2004, 22:42
Sorry to hear about your accident fpsware :weep: It sounds like you have some very supportive people around you which is a blessing. I pray you have a speedy recovery and that you are back on two feet soon (& 2 wheels).

Has the accident changed your attitude about motorcycles at all? :eek5:

ZedYes the accident has change my attitude slightly.I now realise that any moment could be the last so I need to make the most of every minute on my bike I can - More ride time :laugh:

Motoracer
26th March 2004, 00:48
Hey mate, I am so glad that you didn't meet the same fate as that guy who was on SCU (truck vs bike).

Hope you get well real soon.

Lou Girardin
26th March 2004, 07:00
Sorry to hear it, glad you're alive. I hope they don't charge him with reckless, he'll get off if he's got a lawyer, because they have to prove he intended to commit the offence.
Lou

James Deuce
26th March 2004, 07:17
Kia Kaha.

Keep that positive outlook going, no matter what.

Looking forward to the message that says you're back on the road.

Jim2

kasper
26th March 2004, 08:25
Hey fpsware what ward i nthe hospital are you? i could arange for some of the tauranga kb to come meet you. and have you been treaed by the doctor alex? she is very good with bikers.

Cajun
26th March 2004, 10:04
bugger fpsware, you must have been the dude i heard about on the news. But at least nothing major bad, and not your fault which is always the best

I'm a fellow tauranga person as well.

Coldkiwi
26th March 2004, 11:02
man, as bad news as that is Fpsware, its awesome that you're going to make a full recovery and haven't lost your enthusiasm for bikes. Maximum respect to you g/f for letting you keep riding, she sounds like a very supportive girl and worth hanging on to!

and on the bright side for the rest of us, we will at least get some entertaining typos from Fps while he's using the voice software :)

take it easy for your recovery man.

fpsware
26th March 2004, 12:45
Hey mate, I am so glad that you didn't meet the same fate as that guy who was on SCU (truck vs bike).

Hope you get well real soon.
I didn't hear about that one. What happened to him?

fpsware
26th March 2004, 12:46
Sorry to hear it, glad you're alive. I hope they don't charge him with reckless, he'll get off if he's got a lawyer, because they have to prove he intended to commit the offence.
Lou
So far the guy has been pleading guilty every step of the way. I spoke to him this morning for the first time and he's actually quite a nice guy.

fpsware
26th March 2004, 12:47
Hey fpsware what ward i nthe hospital are you? i could arange for some of the tauranga kb to come meet you. and have you been treaed by the doctor alex? she is very good with bikers.
I was in ward three but I've been out since Wednesday now. And yes, I was treated by Alex. In fact, the entire emergency team were amazing!

Motoracer
26th March 2004, 12:52
I didn't hear about that one. What happened to him?

He was a young bloke, hell of a driver but new to biking. He was going around a bend at 70 on a 70K zone. A big truck was pulling into a driveway which then was blocking his path on the road. Apparently according to the experts, the rider didn't apply brakes properly. He ended up skidding allong the road and hitting the side of the truck head on. He was wearing all the right gear but he died on impact because he snaped his neck. Real sad story.

pete376403
26th March 2004, 13:09
I was impressed at the degree of investigation. Came down to rider error in the end, he locked the back brake but didn't appear to use the front at all. Prolly instictive for a car driver to mash the brake pedal. Life can be very cruel.

duckman
26th March 2004, 13:50
Yes the accident has change my attitude slightly.I now realise that any moment could be the last so I need to make the most of every minute on my bike I can - More ride time :laugh:
With an attitude like that Sir, You'll be just fine!! Good on ya mate. :laugh:

celticyankee
26th March 2004, 14:43
Dayum, so sorry to hear of this.......I send good wishes for a speedy recovery!

Kwaka-Kid
26th March 2004, 14:44
hey mate! firstly id like to say take a look at all the replies! here i was thinking i was a week late to this reply but not even 24hours yet! good on yah KB'ers, and yet another get wel soon dude :) and dont let it get you down at all - not that it seems to have.

Keep well and yes - do all that they tell you to do... yet you know who... them...

fpsware
26th March 2004, 15:00
He was a young bloke, hell of a driver but new to biking. He was going around a bend at 70 on a 70K zone. A big truck was pulling into a driveway which then was blocking his path on the road. Apparently according to the experts, the rider didn't apply brakes properly. He ended up skidding allong the road and hitting the side of the truck head on. He was wearing all the right gear but he died on impact because he snaped his neck. Real sad story.as strange as it sounds, I didn't have any thoughts of dying going through my heed and all. That didn't occur to me until a number of days later when I actually thought about the situation and how lucky I am.

fpsware
26th March 2004, 15:02
I was impressed at the degree of investigation. Came down to rider error in the end, he locked the back brake but didn't appear to use the front at all. Prolly instictive for a car driver to mash the brake pedal. Life can be very cruel.I was recently speaking to the police officer investigating my accident and he informed me they had a crash investigation unit on the scene for a number of hours. Personally, I thought it was a very cut and dry situation.

Shade
26th March 2004, 17:27
Dude,

Sorry to hear what happened man, used to live in Te Puke myself for a while, boucher ave actually :)

Hope you make a speedy recovery man, and are able to get on the bike again soon!

Two Smoker
26th March 2004, 17:47
Hope you get well, but after that thing (which is the most important). The second most important thing is, What kind of bike are you goin to get now :rolleyes: ????

Indiana_Jones
26th March 2004, 19:39
Shit, that sucks hard :no:
Get well soon :D

-Indy

Holy Roller
26th March 2004, 22:05
as strange as it sounds, I didn't have any thoughts of dying going through my heed and all. That didn't occur to me until a number of days later when I actually thought about the situation and how lucky I am.
The same with me when I had my head on just out of Matamata. Just wasn't my time yet... Someone bigger than me was looking out of me, and I thank Him for that.

The cops didn't even come to my accident, because I walked away from it. I just had to pay for the damage to the other car, being a student that was only $5 month. Ended up paying for half by accepting a deal from the insurance company. :Pokey:

LB
27th March 2004, 05:47
Take care mate, glad to hear you're still going to ride. :rockon:

claire
27th March 2004, 10:36
I was recently speaking to the police officer investigating my accident and he informed me they had a crash investigation unit on the scene for a number of hours. Personally, I thought it was a very cut and dry situation.
Hey fpsware

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm in Rotorua not even an hour away and it wasn't even on the news here!! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

My understanding about doing a thorough investigation is so they have answers for any questions the defense throw at them thus making it easier to prove reckless driving. Good on them for going for reckless, they could have gone for careless and all they have to do is prove something happened. Cut and dried as you say.

Claire

Aucker
27th March 2004, 14:03
Sounds like you're in a bad way man, sorry to hear this. Are you sure that you want to get straight back onto a bike again? Either way take care and get well :soon: .

Urban Terrorist
27th March 2004, 14:31
Hi there fpsware.
As the rest have said, sorry to read about your crash, and I'm glad you're still with us. GWS.

6Chris6
27th March 2004, 17:25
Your obviously a very tough character with an incredibly understanding girlfriend has she got any sisters :laugh:
Seriously though get well/ back in the saddle :soon:

fpsware
27th March 2004, 19:38
Hope you get well, but after that thing (which is the most important). The second most important thing is, What kind of bike are you goin to get now :rolleyes: ????
Ideally,I would like to have my Kawasaki repaired.Failing thatit will be a Suzuki GSXR (probably).

fpsware
27th March 2004, 19:40
The same with me when I had my head on just out of Matamata. Just wasn't my time yet... Someone bigger than me was looking out of me, and I thank Him for that.

The cops didn't even come to my accident, because I walked away from it. I just had to pay for the damage to the other car, being a student that was only $5 month. Ended up paying for half by accepting a deal from the insurance company. :Pokey:
I'm glad it wasn't my fault because I let my insurance laps about four to six weeks ago.Not that it would have mattered though because the bike I was riding exceeds the class restrictions on my license.So the insurance company would not have paid out anyway.

fpsware
27th March 2004, 19:43
Sounds like you're in a bad way man, sorry to hear this. Are you sure that you want to get straight back onto a bike again? Either way take care and get well :soon: .
I won't be able to drive a car for two to three months yet and probably won't be able to ride a bike for six to twelve months depending on how my injuries heal.But in the next twelve months I would like to at least purchase another bike.

fpsware
27th March 2004, 19:48
Your obviously a very tough character with an incredibly understanding girlfriend has she got any sisters :laugh:
Seriously though get well/ back in the saddle :soon:As my girlfriend said,People die all the time doing all sorts of things. Admittedly, some things are a little more dangerous than others but why stop doing some thing you love.Life is short do what you love while the new have the time.

What?
27th March 2004, 19:54
As my girlfriend said,People die all the time doing all sorts of things. Admittedly, some things are a little more dangerous than others but why stop doing some thing you love.Life is short do what you love while the new have the time.
Wise lady. You should hang on to that one! :doctor: