PDA

View Full Version : Starting out the right way

.produKt
31st January 2006, 21:01
hello!

First post woohoo!
First of all ive been cruising round on a moped on my full car licence for agges (about 16mnths), and i said f*** it, im gonna go for my bike licence :)

Got it no sweat...
gotta love scratch n win :)

So here i am browsing TradeMe and i found a bike that i fell in love with at first site. A Honda VT250 Magna.
For those who dont know its a cruiser stlyed bike, vtwin andto me, looks teh sex.

I wernt actually looking fo a bike atthe time, so for me to fall in love with something at first site is good :) maybe a good sign?

So anyway what do you think? The auction is for a Honda VT250 Magna with full riding gear (jacket, pants, diadora boots, gloves and helmet) all for 4500$
Bike comes with a recent service, a vehicle check and a free tank'o gas ;D and its in aucklnad, so it'll be a mad expierience riding from AKL to chch :cool:

Your thoughts?
Do i go for it?
Or do i get it shipped due to the inexpierience of riding a larger bike (not that i havent been punting round on farmbikes and the like for god knows how long) :)

.produKt

SARGE
31st January 2006, 21:05
if its your bike... get it shipped by BikeTranz or Cyclemove for about $300..

welcome to the Hotel California

crashe
31st January 2006, 21:11
Welcome to KB...

Get the bike shipped since you dont have any or not much experience riding a bike...

Once you have the bike down there, then have fun learning all about the bike and how it handles.. .there are a few KBers down your way who would be able to help you out on learning to ride as well.

.produKt
31st January 2006, 21:16
Suprisingly your not the first one to tell me this... But i thought id go for a second opinion.

I had just thought that it would be a massive load of fun to ride from akl to chch :) and i were looking forward to the ferry trip :D

But the other problem is i will have to organise with the trader to have him send it, and thats quite time consuming for them as they work your normal hours so cant really organise it during the day.

Still, you reckon its a good bike to go for? its probably a bit big for my first decent motorbike but its the only style bike that i love the look of and is of licence restrictions engine cc's :(

SpeedyGirl
31st January 2006, 21:20
Welcome to the site :wavey:..... you will find the ChCh riders a friendly bunch..... :weird: :rofl:

Virago
31st January 2006, 21:22
Welcome to the site.

It's a nice looking bike alright. I take it you're a cruiser fan - have you tried many out for size?

Good luck with the bike shopping.

Keystone19
31st January 2006, 21:31
At the risk of disagreeing with the others, I think it would be fun to ride it home. It's a great way to get to know your bike and learn some skills. I would recommend taking a couple or three days to do it and having an experienced rider accompany you.

I had my learners license a week, bought my VTR250 in Wanganui and rode it home to Auckland. Really enjoyed it but was tired so give yourself plenty of time if you can.

Nicksta
31st January 2006, 21:37
Welcome to KB.... if you've fallen for a bike... its ment to be... but there may be one closer to you than auckland... hold out and look around a bit and see... i decided on my bike 2 months before i found my baby... and i'm glad i did... enjoy.

thehollowmen
31st January 2006, 21:58
If you're adventurous and a fast learner get a tent and slowly ride it down. 50 until you're comfortable, maybe edge to 70.. then above as you get the hang of it, camping roadside.

should be a lot of fun.

Then again, might pay to also learn to ride slowly and comfortably at home... each has positives and negatives.

You ain't got a bad bike there, they're a comfortable 250.

Cookie
31st January 2006, 21:59
Welcome to KB!

I've got a 250 Magna and I think they are the best looking 250 money can buy. Harry33 here has one too.

I'm using mine for commuting mostly - for that, it's great.

They look good compared with a lot of other 250's because they are made big to look big. The downside of all that bigness is they are heavy, and heavy means, well, I can't bring myself to say it, but let's just say, you and I won't be getting disqualified for going over 140 kph until we get our full licence and another bike.

I find mine will cruise okay on the motorway at 110 kph but expect to be working the gears quite a bit to keep it up there under other road conditions.

Personally, I would take the stress off myself, and get it transported down. Then you can get to know the bike at your leisure.

Cruisers can be unforgiving on corners if you are inexperienced, and are being pressured to hammer it because there is a row of cars up your backside. Before you know it you can be going in a straight line onto the wrong side of the road. Not good.

It's your choice though. It would be great fun to ride down. Take good care whatever you choose to do. :yeah:

boomer
31st January 2006, 22:41
'Ello and do as Keystone suggests.. get to know her intimately ( the bike that is.. !) and enjoy the road trip :hug:

Sunny Side up!

boris
31st January 2006, 22:53
you could get it shipped to wgtn or somewhere and ride the rest the way home. that way you would have a shorter ride on roads you mite know better.

.produKt
1st February 2006, 06:59
Hmm :)

Thanks a lot guys, It definitly looks like ill have a greater chance of having my bike in one piece if i have it shipped :weep: looks like im gonna have to go with it, since i've been offered a very nice warmhearted deal from a freight company to have it shipped here for just 150$ :)

So thats all good on the getting it here front. But im still not sure its the right bike :( I've been looking around, and i really dont see anything that i like, and have also been unable to find a vt250 in chch :(
But here it is. I think a picture of it will appear here. not sure :noob:

FROSTY
1st February 2006, 07:04
Are you the bloke asking first bike advise on Trade me??
Either way welcolm to the nuthouse. Mechanicly they are a pretty good lil bike. If the style apeals to you--good onya --and enjoy ya bike.

.produKt
1st February 2006, 07:06
Well i could be..

My username is the same on trademe as it is here :)
And sometimes i do ask some comprehensivly stupid questions. So bare with me :E

Sniper
1st February 2006, 08:18
Welcome to the madhouse mate. Couple of us down your way. I'll PM you soon about a few of us who do rides for learners so they can get their skills up.

Sniper

FROSTY
1st February 2006, 09:14
NEVER sweat the 'stupid' questions. In my opinion the dumb fucks are those that don't know something and are too cocky to admit it.

.produKt
1st February 2006, 14:44
:D :D :D Sooooo true!!! :D :D :D
goddamn there are a lot of ppl that need to be told that too -_-

dangerous
2nd February 2006, 18:22
hello!

First post woohoo!
A Honda VT250 Magna.
Welcome man, like the bike too, reckon they look awesome for a 250 :Punk:

Colapop
2nd February 2006, 18:29
Ahhh fresh meat... I mean welcome to you sir... beware the consequences of feeding the feeshes after meednight

As for your bike - it looks real nice. Take your time on a new bike, it lessens the cost of repairs - to your bike and yourself.

Rashika
3rd February 2006, 14:48
Welcome to the chch KB nuthouse :niceone:
that tis a sweet looking bike, hope you get it....or if not something similar.
And for only $150 to ship it, thats a damn good idea...lot cheaper than riding it, and prob a lot safer till you get the hang of it.
Good luck! :)

.produKt
5th February 2006, 23:08
means as to aqquiring this bike has not yet befallen me...
In otherwords i dont have 4400.00 :(

But give up i wont!
ApplicatioNZ Went to check the bike out for me (a bloody good cu*t he is :) )
and sent this photo on email....

Its looks SEXY ;D:first: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

http://www.phattpad.orcon.net.nz/DSCN1872.JPG

Can anyone suggest a good cheap finance company? i have a car that i need to sell but its not selling, so id rather get the bike, then wait till the cars sells and pay that largest chunk off.

A risky move, but probably a very worthwhile one :)

terbang
7th February 2006, 10:56
Nice Bike and if you have the time ride it down yourself you will certainly know it well by the time you arrive in CHC.

.produKt
11th February 2006, 18:29
*sob* *sob*

The dude selling the bike put a buynow price up on the auction, and it was purchased 30 minutes later :-(

So im looking again :)
I wouldnt mind a Suzuki Balius (mad bike this one is :D)
or
A V-Thunder Cruiser
or
Something with form over function.
I dont really like sport bikes with sticky outtie plasticy bits :-(

So i need some suggestions!.
Something between free and 5000$ :D

Cookie
12th February 2006, 09:12
Bit of a shame but I am sure you will find the right bike eventually.

For my own interest, what was his "buy now" price? It was similar in so many ways to mine that it will give me an idea of the current value of my bike.

.produKt
12th February 2006, 16:44
He put a BuyNow price of $4300.00 up.
And by the looks of it the new owner didnt want the gear, as they asked if they could not have the gear earlier on in the auction.

And yes, i am so throughly dissapointed. :-( i really wish i didnt buy this fucking car -__-~. From the 30 bucks gas i put in this week i got about 80 km's out of it.

And i wern't giving it much stick at all :(

Anyway other bikes im interested in are
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=47515033 (Hyosung Aquila)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=46566683 (Kawasaki ZR250)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=46720278 (Hyosung Comet GT)

or this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=46252436
( LIFAN LF 250 V-Twin Delta Motorcycle BRAND NEW!)

I want something fast of course :)

If anyone else has any suggestions please pm me or something! im really stuck -_-.

Bonez
12th February 2006, 18:03
The Comet is in your neck of the woods and they seem to be getting good owner reveiws.

Meanie
12th February 2006, 19:13
Dam shame you missed on the bike dude but theres a shit load more out there for sale
I have it on good authority that the rg 150 can keep a good pace eh klown :Punk:
welcome to kb I like cruisers myself so i know where you are comin from and i believe the Hyosung are getting good reviews

Rashika
12th February 2006, 20:08
You might want to PM Phaedrus as he has a Hyasung, and I think there are a few others around on KB too, maybe start a new thread to catch their attention as well?
That lifan is kinda cool! I have seen one at a rally before, quite nice looking. :apumpin:

motobull
12th February 2006, 21:28
Had a comet for a bit over a month now.
Realy enjoying it. It's a large size bike for a 250 but feel the riding position is just right for me. I've taken it for some semi-long rides and not felt tired and sore afterwards.
it has enough power to keep me happy, sits on the open road with ease.
Only way to know if its right for you though is to take one out for a ride:Oi:

Virago
12th February 2006, 21:36
"No other 250 is quite like it" says the ad. However, the Lifan is an exact replica of the Yamaha Virago 250, but I think it's made in Taiwan (or Korea?). It has a 12 month warranty, compared with the Yamaha 24 months.

From what I understand, they are sold "run in", hence the mileage as shown. Why run them in? It suggests to me a high percentage of factory "duds", which need to be weeded out.

The price asked (which excludes on-road costs) is fairly similar to what you would pay for a near-new Virago, with low mileage.

Rashika
13th February 2006, 05:44
"No other 250 is quite like it" says the ad. However, the Lifan is an exact replica of the Yamaha Virago 250, but I think it's made in Taiwan (or Korea?). It has a 12 month warranty, compared with the Yamaha 24 months.

From what I understand, they are sold "run in", hence the mileage as shown. Why run them in? It suggests to me a high percentage of factory "duds", which need to be weeded out.

The price asked (which excludes on-road costs) is fairly similar to what you would pay for a near-new Virago, with low mileage.
yeah i thought that when I saw one...took me a much closer ispection to see what it actually said on the tank :cool:
The ole Virago must have been pretty good for others to imitate it so muich eh??? :blip: :banana: :banana:

.produKt
13th February 2006, 19:03
Hey Rashika.
I noted that you were in Christchurch and i were wondering, when you first got into riding bikes, did you just get your learners and then go shopping at the bikeshops down manchester (er i think its machester that Suzuki Sportzone is on?).

Will they let you test ride a bike on your learners? Im trying to imagine why they wouldnt but i keep thinking of just how vital it really is to test ride your first bike
:yes: .

Argh im gettin all stressed over just choosing the right bike -_-~. i really want a kawamegastupidfast zr250, only because the look good, and redline at something metal like 18,000 rpms O_O...

bah

Rashika
13th February 2006, 20:12
Hey Rashika.
I noted that you were in Christchurch and i were wondering, when you first got into riding bikes, did you just get your learners and then go shopping at the bikeshops down manchester (er i think its machester that Suzuki Sportzone is on?).
eeerrr ....well my first bike was a GN and it was some time ago ( we are talking a few years now), and i bought it privately... I think my dad took it for a ride to check it out for me first, and i was comfortable on it so bought it....but only spent $1500, and got that back when i sold it.
Back then the options were Jacks yamaha, creswell suzuki, whitings honda, hornby honda, and a few others. I'd be surprised if any bike shops would let you test ride on a learners, especially these days, even back then it was unlikely.
Take a mate with a full licence to test ride a bike for you, get them to check it over too, they may see the obvious you miss in the rose tinted glasses you may have on. Then sit on it and try it out for size, that is probably all the chance you'll get unless you have a mate with a bike you can try.
I'm sure you'll find something you like sooner than you think :scooter:

dangerous
13th February 2006, 20:47
Back then the options were Jacks Yamaha, Creswell Suzuki, Whitings Honda, Hornby Honda
Bob Mcleary, Hollands Honda, Atlantic m/c & Pacific m/c....... OMG Rashika, ya showing ya age like this old bastard :thud:

.produKt
13th February 2006, 21:30
Bob Mcleary, Hollands Honda, Atlantic m/c & Pacific m/c....... OMG Rashika, ya showing ya age like this old bastard :thud:
Hahahaa Oldies..

SO!, Which one of you is old enough to be my grandfather :D? im only 21 :P

Oh and for the record

:ar15: :scooter: :whocares: ... hehe i've been there and done that, God i hate scooters now -_--

Rashika
14th February 2006, 04:50
For the record: I had someone coaching me with those names :laugh: I honestly cant remember them that well
The only ones I remember from that time really were Hornby (even got bike serviced there), Casbolts, Norjos, Chch motorcycles and Eric Woods (suzuki at the time.... not a harley in sight, hahaha!)

dangerous
14th February 2006, 05:22
Hahahaa Oldies..

SO!, Which one of you is old enough to be my grandfather :D?

Beter be me....... :sweatdrop

Insanity_rules
18th February 2006, 20:11
Hey fella,

Yep they sure do let ya test ride on a Learners, I'm on my loser plates and am tyre kicking at the moment.
I'm in Wellyvegas and the shops are pretty good. Hope Chch are as good.

Hope ta see ya on the black top..

Hawkeye
2nd March 2006, 21:00
Hmm :)

Thanks a lot guys, It definitly looks like ill have a greater chance of having my bike in one piece if i have it shipped :weep: looks like im gonna have to go with it, since i've been offered a very nice warmhearted deal from a freight company to have it shipped here for just 150$ :)

So thats all good on the getting it here front. But im still not sure its the right bike :( I've been looking around, and i really dont see anything that i like, and have also been unable to find a vt250 in chch :(
But here it is. I think a picture of it will appear here. not sure :noob:

Love the look - it puts my little single cylinder CBX to shame. But she's mine, all mine and so easy to ride. Have a good time no matter what you choose to do. First rule of thumb - take it easy until you get to know her......

.produKt
12th March 2006, 14:19
Woohoo..
Kawamegasakifast ZXR250! all mine, slightly high km's tho, but a pretty good performing 4cyl 19 grand revving bike for 3200$ :)

Rashika
12th March 2006, 19:18
good on ya matey!
So now we know what to look out for you on :spudbooge
enjoy!

.produKt
12th March 2006, 19:28
Now I just have to wait till i get it, and has of course the k.r.a.s (kawasaki ram air system), so thats one of my intended modifications taken care of nicely.
Thank you Kawasaki :)

It's still in Auckland and i've arranged shipping already for 150$ :)
Oh goooodd i cant wait :D

BEAMER89
12th March 2006, 20:42
Good on matey, Congrats on the new bike.
Might see u riding around somtime. :ride: :niceone:

.produKt
12th March 2006, 20:47
:D Yea, ill be the one blasting by you on ya moped, moped rider :P

dangerous
13th March 2006, 04:56
Woohoo..
Kawamegasakifast ZXR250! all mine, slightly high km's tho, but a pretty good performing 4cyl 19 grand revving bike for 3200$ :)
Congrads man, take it easy and enjoy :2thumbsup

Cookie
13th March 2006, 07:21
Yes congrats alright. Ride safe mate.

Insanity_rules
14th March 2006, 07:45
Hey there,
How'd ya get on? Did you do the ride?

.produKt
18th March 2006, 22:12
I got on great! Little nervous at first and were excited to the same lvl as winning 1st division lotto :D!!!

But er i couldnt start it, it has been drained of fuel.
I filled it up, let it sit for 5 mins , fuel tank switch was at 'PRI'. and i couldnt start it infact i killed its new battery trying :( Theres a trick to it im sure, but i think i flooded it trying.

Got it crash started first time a-ok, sounds like a fucking Ferrari or F1 car ... if not better :P~ :D.
Anyway if you have any ideas visit this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=547065#post547065 .

Chez! ^^

metric
1st April 2006, 16:06
congrats bro ZXR's are an awesome bike - I love mine... you'll have heaps of fun

edit: shit just looked at teh date produkt posted... uhh... whoops

oh well... congrats anyway!

.produKt
2nd April 2006, 13:16
meh tis alright :)
I still browse thru me old threads :D