PDA

View Full Version : GasGas Flaws

IronicCapers
31st January 2006, 21:02
Now i currently own a EC300 2004 its a great package. Comes with awesome suspension and the power delivery is very smooth. However as an intermediate rider of younger years i don't have the experience in basic servicing or the actual motivation i guess.
The problems ive encountered is the crappy plastics, they are weak and pathetic my 1st MX crash on it saw the left front plastics ripped out off cleverly held in by self tapping screws the other side also removed itself due to another rider hu cldnt handle a MX start, now ive had the same experince on other brands no problems, there just on the gasgas. The seat also uses self tapping screw on the tank to hold the seat down, not only does it come out of the tank the seat also comes off at the front even when the screw is holding the little part that seat slides in.
The rear collars (on the wheels) are foolhardy, one is aluminum and the other is stainless steel, now in an area that usually gets a beating a soft metal is used wat is up with that, so my aluminum collar is now lighter (big wear marks). the bike has about 150 hours on it and ive had the problems since i got it so it not just hard use.
GasGas need to revise their policy on durability and praticality on their new bikes because there isn't much difference in the 2005 and 2006 models as i can see. But hey prove me wrong

Cary
31st January 2006, 21:16
Prolly why you'll find there not a big seller in NZ and resale prices suck. I've only had a ride on the 300 and liked it but you would't get me to buy one due to quality issues and resale value.

I do hear they are getting better tho. KTM was in the same position 10 years ago............

F5 Dave
1st February 2006, 08:41
Ok so the fix is if it is the same as my ’02, cut a small piece of ally ~ 20x50 & welded the T piece to it that hooks the seat on. Then use ~ 6 self tap’rs to hold it onto the tank.

The rest of the quality isn’t too bad I thought, ok every manufacturer does some dumb stuff. Assume you’ve seen the Smackover website? + there are links if you search for the full manual.

IronicCapers
1st February 2006, 21:06
Yeah im thnkn bout getn the KTM 300 caus it comes with the electric start and isn't to far off frm the GasGas, and the quality is better

Otis243
1st February 2006, 21:13
Prolly why you'll find there not a big seller in NZ and resale prices suck. I've only had a ride on the 300 and liked it but you would't get me to buy one due to quality issues and resale value.

Please tell me about resale values...

I am still debating whether to bring my 2003 EC300 from the UK later this month or whether to sell and buy something new in NZ :confused:

I agree about build quality, to a point.
After a week my plastics looked worse than my 6 year old CRM Honda ! But I had been ridden it for a couple of long days in wet sand :( But replacements are a lot cheeper than Honda parts.
I have never liked the way the self tapping screws screw directly into the fuel tank, but in 3 years of regular use they have never failed on mine.

I chose the Gas Gas over a KTM as they are supposed to be a bit more user friendly and in the UK were a fair bit cheaper, but obviously at the expense of build quality.

They are very popular here, because they are a good package at a good price.

Cary
1st February 2006, 22:19
They just don't have a good name over here yet therefore not a big 2nd hand market. Where as KTM is very popular.

Retail for a new EC300 here is NZ$12990 (KTM 300 same)

Tried a couple sites and local rag and couldn't find one for sale!

2003 EC300 you might get NZ$4-5000 for it as a guess? maybe less.

I'll keep an eye out to try to get a price of what one goes for here.

Wellyman
1st February 2006, 23:00
You must be riding stupid because my dad has the exact bike and has flipped it,buggered the subframe, thrown it in ditches and streams and is fine.his has been abused by crashing and plenty of it but the plastics are fine. just replace them and ride it, don't be a pussy and get a KTM

Fryin Finn
2nd February 2006, 08:54
Ì have an 05 EC250 since last Oct it's been out for a play nine times already. I've only dropped it a couple of times (last weekend flipped it doing wheelies) but no damage or scratches to the plastic on the sides and the decals (apart from those on the fork protectors) looking great. The radiator shrouds screw into the tank at the top with self tappers but everything else bolted on. Glen Holden told me the plastics are thicker than previous models and therfore more durable. It's looking much better this stage in it's life than did my previous WR450 and I baby'd that bike too.

F5 Dave
2nd February 2006, 08:59
Yeah, but it is a ringadinga. What you need is one of those reliable cheap to run 4 strokes eh Finn?

Fryin Finn
2nd February 2006, 11:59
Yeah, but it is a ringadinga. What you need is one of those reliable cheap to run 4 strokes eh Finn?
Yeah but what I have come to realise is the importance of smell related to the motorcycling experience and just how invigorating a 2 stroke is in that respect.

F5 Dave
2nd February 2006, 12:17
What? & miss the joy of replacing all those 4 stroke parts?

Fryin Finn
2nd February 2006, 14:34
What? & miss the joy of replacing all those 4 stroke parts?
Got a whole box of em at home :cry:

IronicCapers
2nd February 2006, 21:14
You think im a pussy to get a KTM and a stupid rider Wellyman. I happen to be an accomplished rider the circumstances involved with the plastics was because of others incompetance at riding. The plastics are screwed back in but the point was that they come out to easy and the subframe i to have problems with because it keeps breaking due to vibrations & shock. KTM's have proven themselves to be a durable bike as much as i enjoy the gasgas i cant stand the amount of times the sub frame needs weilding and the tapping screws sometimes com out in enduros (not cool). The only people who think people who ride KTM's are simply people who can't afforde them.

Brian d marge
3rd February 2006, 01:58
wait till you do a decent high speed endo , then see how much damage you do , my last good one ripped the top of the forks off I got back into the race and wondered what all this red stuff was all ver the bike ,,,,it was fork oil....* the crash was caused by someone in front of me squaring off the corner and I didnt anticipate and was still midair ,,,came down with a thump!!
The plastics were fine * honda cr *
The side panel took a hit a while back and that is bolted to the frame, Now I zip tye the panels to the fender
Heavier flywheels remove some vibration and dont take away the power
I would like to see a lot more other makes on the track !!
Stephen

F5 Dave
3rd February 2006, 14:46
Just an an aside look what I found on Dirtbike.co.nz. Seems GG isn't the only one with soft spacers:

[From the site:]
WER Rear Wheel Spacers
KTM and Honda CR and CRF Wheel spacers are notorious for wearing out, ruining the seal and eventually destroying the wheel bearings

As a total aside, check out the axle pullers. Wonder what sizes would fit the Gaser?

Fryin Finn
3rd February 2006, 15:04
Just an an aside look what I found on Dirtbike.co.nz. Seems GG isn't the only one with soft spacers:

[From the site:]
WER Rear Wheel Spacers
KTM and Honda CR and CRF Wheel spacers are notorious for wearing out, ruining the seal and eventually destroying the wheel bearings

As a total aside, check out the axle pullers. Wonder what sizes would fit the Gaser?
Could you case harden them by thucking the spacers on the Barby for a coupla hours:spudwhat:

IronicCapers
10th February 2006, 21:24
Recently the plastics came off yet again and i had put another self tapper in problem was i had 1 and i was out on a ride and the dam thing came out agn and nt only ytht but the bloodly tank has gt a hole in it. Pretty pissed off cause im sick 2 shit of the dam thing havn structural and cosmetic problems that just seem to follow the dam thing around. Where are the brains developing this bike im at my wits end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:finger:

Wellyman
11th February 2006, 23:31
You think im a pussy to get a KTM and a stupid rider Wellyman. I happen to be an accomplished rider the circumstances involved with the plastics was because of others incompetance at riding. The plastics are screwed back in but the point was that they come out to easy and the subframe i to have problems with because it keeps breaking due to vibrations & shock. KTM's have proven themselves to be a durable bike as much as i enjoy the gasgas i cant stand the amount of times the sub frame needs weilding and the tapping screws sometimes com out in enduros (not cool). The only people who think people who ride KTM's are simply people who can't afforde them.

Geez sorry mate! im going to stay outta this now, I don't really care. im a mountain biker/BMX racer more now. I have lost intrest in dirtbiking a bit.
Bye,
Wellyman

IronicCapers
12th February 2006, 21:18
Whoever gave me the reputation point thanks i cant figure out who it is but thanks anyway. Its my first one big excitement. And wellyman not pissed at you just the amount of money the bike costs me. My KDX never gave me to much trouble