PDA

View Full Version : New Bike and a road trip North to test it out

motobull
31st January 2006, 21:21
The day had come to sell the trusty old GN-250 and get something else with a bit more grunt I decide the Hyosung Comet Gt-250 was for me and picked a beauty from Huntly for $4500 on Thursday night which was just in time for a planned trip north with a couple of mates. :doobey: :2thumbsup

It was a great weekend nice weather incredible roads and good friends with only one small mishap.

First night we rode as far as Trounson National park which is just North of Dargaville. The next day was a quick ride down to Kai Iwi Lakes for a look around then up to Opononi via the very pretty Waipoua Forrest and Tane Mahuta[that’s one big tree] . Spent the rest of the day on the beach and just relaxing at Opononi.

On Sunday we Headed North again via the car..nah bike Ferry at Rawene up to Kaitaia and then a straight run all the way to the top "Cape Reinga", the last 20km’s are still unsealed and quite corrugated in places.
This is where the mishap comes in, my friend bike[katana 250] decided it was going to break down right at Cape Reinga [The chain link connector came off and left him with a chain sitting on the road not on his bike where it should be]:doh:
So after eating lunch and expressing what a shitty place it was to break down and a few other thoughts. I rode back 12km to the DOC office and used their phone{Thanks DOC for leaving you back door unlocked and it was an 0800 number} and phoned a tow truck who put the Katana on the back and transported it back to Kaitaia [Thanks to Robert and Crunch at Bradleys T&T who got the bike saftly to Kaitaia and ensured someone could fix it the next day}. It was about 7pm by this stage so we stayed overnight in a motel in Kaitaia and got his bike fixed the next morning. Thanks so much to David at KAITAIA MOTORCYCLES LTD for saving our backsides by coming in one a public holiday and opening up to fit a new chain you rock in my books:rockon:
Then back to Opononi to collect our tents[where we should have been staying the previous night] after lunch we headed back to Auckland via SH 16.
Despite the drama at the top of the North Island we all had a good time and I am really happy with the Hyosung rode like a dream the whole way

Qkchk
31st January 2006, 21:29
Well fancy that! We saw you in the Waipoura forest and at Paparoa yesterday afternoon! Small world huh?

motobull
31st January 2006, 21:38
sure is a small world, nice part of the world too.

boomer
31st January 2006, 21:50
Looks like you had a blast :niceone:

skelstar
31st January 2006, 22:14
Nice one dude. Just finished an 8 day trip around the SIsland on one so I know what its like eh. Good stuff.

Meanie
6th February 2006, 11:35
Sounds like you guys had a blast:banana:
Thats great for the bike shop to open on a public holiday to fix the bike, not too many that would do that
Awesome roads up there :yes: