PDA

View Full Version : Moving to New Plymouth

dhunt
31st January 2006, 21:51
Hey guys,

I've got an opptunity to move to New Plymouth and just wondering what you guys up there thing of the place. Also wondering if so one could could give me ideas on what accomadation costs there? More specifically flatting as I would prefer going flatting (to keep my living costs down to help increase the new bike fun :) ).

Thanks

GSH1
31st January 2006, 22:03
Well if you ask anyone who lives here, you are likely to get a great response. I certainly like the place. I can't tell you flatting costs as I own a home, but I figure is will be less than the bigger centres.
Plenty of great rides in the district too.

Hope you like what you see when you get here.

Cheers. G

Idrumm
31st January 2006, 23:14
Well if you ask anyone who lives here, you are likely to get a great response. I certainly like the place. I can't tell you flatting costs as I own a home, but I figure is will be less than the bigger centres.
Plenty of great rides in the district too.

Hope you like what you see when you get here.

Cheers. G

Got to agree, use to live there myself, done quite a bit of road and trail riding down there.
If you get a chance take a ride to Whangamomana takes ya back about 100 years, heaps of twisties etc, and if your really keen (Trial Bikes only) continue straight on pass the Whanga Pub for about 4 klms until you come to the end of the road, open the steel gate and away ya go.

The road is not maintained and I think originally was going to be the main rd to Tamaranui some old wooden & concrete bridges along the way, great trial ride, been a while since I have been there may have changed.

Cheers Darrell

KLOWN
31st January 2006, 23:41
how come u moving?

dhunt
1st February 2006, 07:48
how come u moving?
I've been offered a job up there programming. But I've also been offered a job here as well by a Massey. So I've got to make up my mind which one to take :doh: .

sAsLEX
1st February 2006, 07:57
would have to say NP is nicer than Palmy, a bit further away from everything but better anyways.

Depends what you do for fun, what you are looking for really doesn't it?!

Who is the job for??

Racey Rider
1st February 2006, 08:03
New Plymouth is Great. I am from Tauranga, but have been in NP for 17 years. Weather/Temp is good. Beach/Mountain/road riding. Good size population, but not too big. Plenty of events happening here now. Cheaper houseing than Tauranga, and I presume PNorth.
Down side is we're almost 3 hours to the nearest road bike race track.
But we have a gokart track and national class motocross track.

O, and we now have a 'Mc Doanlds'!:woohoo: (PT)

Patrick
1st February 2006, 08:03
Moved here from Auckland almost 5 years ago. Got out of motorbikes after 4 close calls in one day when I was 17. Just got back into it at 40 because around here, it is awesome riding.

Has other sports too, great diving (crays!!! Mmmmmmmm....) fishing, rivers, etc, etc, and a great big ice block to play on at wintertime too...

thehollowmen
1st February 2006, 10:19
The only big flaw in the place is that my olds live there..

Great roads, back-country style cops, good friends..

go for it :-)

KLOWN
1st February 2006, 11:27
congrats on the job! I've finally enrolled at massey, didn't go for the programing course but went for btech w/honours in product development.
hope all goes well where ever u go

Skyryder
1st February 2006, 21:41
I'd live there tomorrow if I could. And that says a lot for a place where's there no salmon rivers.

Skyryder

dhunt
2nd February 2006, 09:26
congrats on the job! I've finally enrolled at massey, didn't go for the programing course but went for btech w/honours in product development.
hope all goes well where ever u go
Hey mate I hope you enjoy it One of mates is doing that (will 4th year this year). They get to do some interesting stuff. And for the first couple years they do the same or most of the same stuff the other engineers do. Including Maths, Physics and English :)

dhunt
2nd February 2006, 09:29
Thanks guys for all your replies, it helps me get a better picture of what I'm getting into. :Oops:

Well I've decided. I'm going to to New Plymouth! Does anyone know of anyone after a flatmate up there. Or would anyone be willing to let me bludge some roof and floor space off them till I can find something more perment? Please? :soon: