PDA

View Full Version : Northern Exposure Tour 06 - Part 1

Qkchk
31st January 2006, 21:55
Well what can I say?

1 hell of a good ride and the best way to spend 3 days off work (Auckland anniversary weekend).... :ride:

We started off from Westgate just after 9am. 8 of us in total (1 Busa, 1 Gixxer 1000, 2 R6's, 1 TLR1000, a VTR1000 and 2 CBR1000RR) with a ZX10 keeping us company till he parted @ Kaukapkapa. (See Pic 1 & 2)

Had a quick stop at Wellysford (Pic 3 & 4) so the V-Twins could re-fuel. Saw a couple of bikes there including a red TLR1000 'trlker' saw him a few times over the three days - must of been a stalker......... Group stayed the same till we reached Dargaville, where we were to meet TLRider and the Whangarei crew just after 11am. 'The Northerners' weren't there when we arrived.... (must be scared of the wet stuff.... :dodge:) Supposedly IT HAD been raining in Whangarei that morning so they called it off, promising to annoy us on the way back through the East coast on Monday. But after a quick phone call and the exchange of the words "flacid rooster" they were on their way to meet us. (Continued below...)

Qkchk
31st January 2006, 22:15
In the meantime, we had a big feed of greasy fish 'n chips (were quite nice, good selection of takeaways) and milkshakes (See Pic 5,6 & 7) then Jim Evo and (sorry dude I couldn't remember your name..) both on a CBR1000RR each bid us farewell and made their way back to Auckland. Eventually the clan arrived - all 2 of them! TLRider and his master ;) Supposedly roosters don't like the rain.......

After an awesome jaunt up through the Waipoura forest (IN THE DRY) we stopped and did the touristy thing, talked shit and laughed at the ability of a bus driver and talked more shit. (Pics 8 & 9) We spotted a Hyosung Comet 250 which turned out to be Motobull (seems he had taken a similar route) http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=494386#post494386 Then Damon and Nigel (VTR and TLR - the twin boys) went and had a look @ the tree, took photos etc then we headed off to the Opononi Tavern. TLRider suggested that we make it a short stay as he got 'banned' last time........ geeee thanks!

Qkchk
31st January 2006, 22:33
Got to Opononi and Jo (MV SENNA) took the plunge - SHE REALLY DID! She nearly jumped of the pier with the local maori kids but we wouldn't let her ;) She took a dip in the Hokianga, good idea to have a swim but with leathers I'd never get them back on again damn things would stick to my legs (why dont we wear Neoprene?). The steady increase of temperature as we made our way north was VERY noticeable. We sunk a few cold ones AND 1 LATTE (CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?! Some Jaffas will never change....aye Jo)

We said goodbye to the local kids and our duo from Whangarei and headed North towards Rawene. It had been brilliant weather, just a couple of light showers at its worst but as soon as we got over the hill and on the straights, it hosed down! Luckly it only lasted a Km or two so there was no need to stop for wet weather gear. Got to Rawene only to find the ferry had left 10 mins earlier (a 20mins wait) - no problem it was a good excuse to park up the bikes and just 'chillout'. (See Pics 12,13, & 14) Was a good trip over the water, it didn't take long only 15mins and cost us $3.50 each. (See Pic 15 )

The road on the other side that leads through Kohukohu and back to SH1 @ Maungamuka Bridge was just superb! The whole length of road from the car ferry to the Northern side of the Maungamuka Gorge is tyre eating, footpeg scraping, motorcycle bliss! :2thumbsup The gorge itself will be one of the features in another upcoming weekend away tour. As Jo put it "I don't know what that bit of road is called but I'm gonna name it the Rollercoaster!" pretty much self explained! Jo was pretty keen to turn around and do it again but the promise of a hot shower was too powerful to the tired and wary biker.

We arrived @ Waipapakauri Ramp just before 6pm. There was time for a shower and a cuppa before we ditched our gear in the cabins (the twin boys put up their tents - one each, something about 1 of them snoring like a freight train...) and went back to town for supplies and a feed @ KFC. Anything tasted good by then.....

Total Kms that day: 430kms

End of Part 1

boomer
31st January 2006, 22:34
Awesome :2thumbsup

Good write up and good pics!! plenty of smiles and a good weekend by the looks of it :doobey:

_Gina_
1st February 2006, 06:59
Awesome - look forward to hearing how the ride back went!

Am glad that you guys ended up with a nice group Qkchk, as it looks like heaps of fun!

Gg

DMNTD
1st February 2006, 16:41
'The Northerners' weren't there when we arrived.... (must be scared of the wet stuff.... :dodge:) Supposedly IT HAD been raining in Whangarei that morning so they called it off, promising to annoy us on the way back through the East coast on Monday. But after a quick phone call and the exchange of the words "flacid rooster" they were on their way to meet us.
Cheeky bloody bus driver! And yes it was raining woman...pissing down:hitcher:
Butt yes we rose to the flacid challenge(played like a fiddle:blink: ).
PS...here's your fellow 'bus too:eyepoke:

jimevo
1st February 2006, 17:04
Hey Qkchk, thanks for the good ride!!! Look forward to the next good blast with you guys.........

Hitcher
1st February 2006, 18:33
A nice write-up and great photos. It only seems like yesterday since Mrs H and I were up there...

Unit
1st February 2006, 19:19
Saturday was one of the best riding days I can remember. Great bunch of people who enjoyed each others company (well I was happy in my world). Looking forward to you guys returning to our playground sometime soon before the winter months set in, sooooooooo much more to show you all up here. Great write up and congrads for the effort in organising it QkChk, its a tough job trying to get a bunch of people committed (when do we get our certificates?):niceone: