PDA

View Full Version : roadstar warrior

R1madness
1st February 2006, 07:51
Hey peeps, I am thinking of trying a roadstar warrior for a while. I have a badly broken foot that will stop me riding sports bikes :argh: for a year or so but a custom style might be ok. It has got to look the shizz (good) i love the big dustbin muffler on it. but whats it like to ride? I dont expect it to be a sports bike but it still needs to go around corners and stop. A NOS bottle will take care of the lack of forward perpulsion and i suppose i could upgrade the shock and forksprings ,oil etc.
How do i ride? Well lots o 2 up work is done. 600 to 1000k days are not out of the ordinary. (Yes you can do it on a R1). I like to punt along (hence the NOS). A bit of commuteing (but not much anymore). The odd rally (only go to the ODD ones hahaha). Oh yea it will be forced down the 1/4 mile as well (again hence the NOS) as it needs to defend my Southern Nationals 1/4 mile Drag title.
Regards
Ian

vs04
1st February 2006, 09:45
A nos bottle! so you want more than a broken foot then.

R1madness
1st February 2006, 13:18
Na its just after the R1 i think the lack of forward perpulsion will bore me to death. Hence the NOS.

vs04
1st February 2006, 14:48
Na its just after the R1 i think the lack of forward perpulsion will bore me to death. Hence the NOS.
I think the lack of forward prepulsion will be your saving grace,nos and bike does not sound like a good mix imo.:no:

Waylander
1st February 2006, 17:42
Dude, the Warrior has pleanty of go for you. Even comming off an R1. May not have the same top speed but horsepower is damn high for a cruiser and torque is freakin unbelievable.

There is a guy in Hamilton who has one and he says any time you want the back tyre to let go just flick the throttle hard.

vs04
1st February 2006, 19:52
Dude, the Warrior has pleanty of go for you. Even comming off an R1. May not have the same top speed but horsepower is damn high for a cruiser and torque is freakin unbelievable.

There is a guy in Hamilton who has one and he says any time you want the back tyre to let go just flick the throttle hard.
If he has nos hooked up to it i think his bowels will be letting go before the back tire does.

R1madness
2nd February 2006, 09:10
A few words about myself to qualify my desire for NOS.
1 I am an ex road racer (16 years experiance)
2 I have been riding for 30years and never not had a bike during that time
3 I hold the southern national 1/4 mile title and record.
4 You can never have enough HP
5 Handling is a state of mind.
Yea nos takes some getting used to but i have used it before. If you set it up properly you can have it feed in progressively off a relay and revs vrs pressure system. So it will begin feeding in at a known rev automaticly in a preset gear. Its not rocket science to set up but it is rocket fuel.
Please do not focus on the NOS part of the deal. I am really interested in what current riders think about its capabilitys as a "real world bike". I can then modify it to suit myself. How does it handle? Will it stop? Is it comfortable for 2 up 1000k days? Have you had any problems with it? Whatys the cornering clearance like (for a cruiser)?
Thanks everyone

vs04
2nd February 2006, 16:32
I hope i have,nt offended you mate ,just having a bit of fun nothing else.;) What do you mean by [real world bike].

Waylander
2nd February 2006, 17:16
I am really interested in what current riders think about its capabilitys as a "real world bike".
Good luck cause I don't think anyone on the site has one and other than the guy in Hamilton I saw (I did tell him about the site) the only other one I know of in the country is at Red Baron in Auckland.

How does it handle? Will it stop? Is it comfortable for 2 up 1000k days? Have you had any problems with it? Whatys the cornering clearance like (for a cruiser)?
Thanks everyone

Handling is suposed to be a bit odd because of the difference in tyre sizes from the rear to front but not so much that it gets annoying. Comfortable for 2 up 1000k days? Fuck no. I wouldn't even ride across town with a passenger on it. The rear pegs are so high up that any pillions knees are gonna be in your armpit. You possibly could drop the pegs down a bit but you would have to either have the exhaust come straight back instead of angled up, wich would cut the cornering clearance alot, or put small short exhausts on it like in the attached picture.

The cornering clearance stock is actually quite good. Not sure on the exacts but I damn near laid the one at Red Baron on it's side (slowly lowering it) before anything touched down.

Here is a review on it from a while ago.
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/25october01yamaha2002roadstarwarrior1.html
And continued...
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/01november012002roadstarwarrior2.html

R1madness
3rd February 2006, 07:49
VS04, na man no worries, just thought i had better quailfy myself a bit. Cheers for the thought.

Waylander. Thanks for the links. The misses is short (like me) and finds the R1 good on long trips so i guess it will be a matter of trying to find one to sit on to try it for size. I guess slow steering and big weight will make it a hoot to ride once i got the nos on. The thing i like most about it is the low long look. Should make for some cool rear wheel steering photos. I love to smoke the rear out of slow corners but the R1 just wheelstands and drives forward.

What is a real world bike? I guess it is different for everyone but for me it is as follows
Is it fun to ride
It MUST be able to be riden every day.
The maintenance must not be excessive (i can and do do all my own)
Can it carry 2 people for a reasonable distance (600K to 1000K in a day)
Will it start every time i hit the button
can it tackle all roads that i come across (even the R1 has been along a lot of gravel roads 2 up)
Is it FUN to ride
Will it smoke any car i line up against (hence NOS)
Is it FUN to ride

Thats real world for me.

vs04
3rd February 2006, 13:55
VS04, na man no worries, just thought i had better quailfy myself a bit. Cheers for the thought.

Waylander. Thanks for the links. The misses is short (like me) and finds the R1 good on long trips so i guess it will be a matter of trying to find one to sit on to try it for size. I guess slow steering and big weight will make it a hoot to ride once i got the nos on. The thing i like most about it is the low long look. Should make for some cool rear wheel steering photos. I love to smoke the rear out of slow corners but the R1 just wheelstands and drives forward.

What is a real world bike? I guess it is different for everyone but for me it is as follows
Is it fun to ride
It MUST be able to be riden every day.
The maintenance must not be excessive (i can and do do all my own)
Can it carry 2 people for a reasonable distance (600K to 1000K in a day)
Will it start every time i hit the button
can it tackle all roads that i come across (even the R1 has been along a lot of gravel roads 2 up)
Is it FUN to ride
Will it smoke any car i line up against (hence NOS)
Is it FUN to ride

Thats real world for me.
Sounds like a cruiser to me.:ride:

nudemetalz
3rd February 2006, 15:06
I wouldn't even ride across town with a passenger on it. The rear pegs are so high up that any pillions knees are gonna be in your armpit. You possibly could drop the pegs down a bit but you would have to either have the exhaust come straight back instead of angled up, wich would cut the cornering clearance alot, or put small short exhausts on it like in the attached picture.

I reckon these look awesome for a cruiser and a lot of the look is the huge R1 type muffler. Without that I reckon they look rather ordinary & mundane.

Waylander
3rd February 2006, 16:24
I reckon these look awesome for a cruiser and a lot of the look is the huge R1 type muffler. Without that I reckon they look rather ordinary & mundane.
True and beleive it or not but that huge muffler doesn't really block the sound of the engine. It does cut down on the "bark" of the exhaust but you still hear the "roar" when you rev it up.

nudemetalz
3rd February 2006, 17:18
I wonder,...I wonder,...I wonder,...how much MT-01 parts you can put into the Warrior's engine..
The MT-01 has about 30-40 more hp doesn't it?

James Deuce
3rd February 2006, 17:38
MT-01 engine is from a different bike, and is 90% different.

http://ymedc.introweb.nl/en/archive/street/mt01_04sep.asp

kro
12th February 2006, 06:31
I'd hit the Warrior for sure. It wears sports bike profile tyres for one thing, so you can put some gnarly rubber on it.
Of all cruisers to date, the Warrior is my hands down fav, it looks nice, it's 1700cc, its a Yamaha (says me with 2 suzukis).

All the reputable, and non biased motorcycle publications have been, and I quote "pleasantly surprised" by its capability in general. The torque is beastly, the handling not like a cruiser in a lot of ways, and the styling speaks for its self, its a bruiser, no two ways about it.

Sorry to dredge up 8 day old thread, but I missed this when it was made.

Meanie
19th February 2006, 20:58
They are a nice bike alright, for me it was the choice between the yamaha and the meanie, i chose the meanie caus it was there on the day and available, no regrets
One thing to watch for, you probably already know, i constanly scrape the footpegs on the meanie because of lack of ground clearance the cruiser is a whole different ride with a lot less aggression into the corners, i think the warrior has a little more clearance
Good luck

Phatsak
24th March 2006, 16:02
I'm not sure that clearance is too much of an issue; I hardly ever scrape the pegs anymore. I think its because my riding style has adapted to the bike: Whereas I used to lean her over, I now make use of the straight line acceleration... its 'mellow into the corner and full-power away'. My feeling is Get the Cruiser that appeals to you most - visually... that way you'll spend less on aftermarket do-dads :)

Meanie
24th March 2006, 22:27
I'm not sure that clearance is too much of an issue; I hardly ever scrape the pegs anymore. I think its because my riding style has adapted to the bike: Whereas I used to lean her over, I now make use of the straight line acceleration... its 'mellow into the corner and full-power away'. My feeling is Get the Cruiser that appeals to you most - visually... that way you'll spend less on aftermarket do-dads :)
I did a 450 km run on the week end and managed to keep the pegs off the seal and still use most of the tyre surface
You do get used to you bike and begin to know its limitations after a while and i have to say
The meanie sure is a nice cruiser

SARGE
25th March 2006, 08:43
Good luck cause I don't think anyone on the site has one and other than the guy in Hamilton I saw

i sold him that one ... good guy