PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

The Stranger
1st February 2006, 09:24
So ok I know Hawera Motorcycles are the Olhins people. But who else does what?
There are many other brands of aftermarket suspension componentry, but who do you see for the various brands?

The Stranger
2nd February 2006, 13:01
So it comes down to this.
You guys can talk shit all day, but when it comes to a motorcycle performance related thread no one has any answers.

justsomeguy
2nd February 2006, 13:07
Dunno the retailers of parts, but as far as people are concerned.

Pete at Colemans is supposed to know a bit about suspension.

Mark or Matt or someone with a name that sounds similar from Mt Eden Motorcycles is/was studying suspension engineering or something.

Then there's ol' Kerry from Motohaus.
Or you could PM Death_Inc.

Hope this helps.

- hey by the way nice new bike. Is it brand new from the factory?? Thought they were pretty rare.

bugjuice
2nd February 2006, 13:09
no idea who does good suspension or the retailers. Would have thought some of the racers would have had some knowledge..

Wouldn't mind knowing myself, but I can't quite afford such toys like suspension yet! There's a guy at Cycletreads who's meant to be the bees knees.

Mental Trousers
2nd February 2006, 13:13
So it comes down to this.
You guys can talk shit all day, but when it comes to a motorcycle performance related thread no one has any answers.

Noel, you have to mention cops or religion, otherwise you just get ignored.

Btw, no idea where to get hold of Ohlins gear sorry.

SARGE
2nd February 2006, 13:20
Noel, you have to mention cops or religion, otherwise you just get ignored.

Btw, no idea where to get hold of Ohlins gear sorry.

Coleman's is an Ohilins stockist.. give Alistair in parts a ring

TLDV8
2nd February 2006, 13:33
Norm Cobb knows his stuff........ I don't have a contact address,but someone might be able to post it up.... I got Racetech springs,goldvalves and an Ohlins shock off Calsportbike in California...they are good to deal with also.

Lou Girardin
2nd February 2006, 13:38
I think Ray Clee is the White Power importer. But the back up and general knowledge available from Robert Taylor makes Ohlins the only choice for me.
There is very little difference between the top susp manufacturers so why not go to the proven dealer?

The Stranger
2nd February 2006, 13:43
Then there's ol' Kerry from Motohaus.
Or you could PM Death_Inc.

Hope this helps.

- hey by the way nice new bike. Is it brand new from the factory?? Thought they were pretty rare.

Thanks. I spoke with Kerry, he can get Hagon, which do one for the X11.

Ohlins don't list a shock for this bike.
But there are many other manufacturers around the world. Now sure I could order from the web, but this does have few potential drawbacks and support/warranties etc are not as easily handled.

The bike is an 01. It is in real good nic though and yes they are pretty rare. They were widely slated by the press for their looks and as usual the linked brakes so didn't sell well.
Personally I like the linked brakes.

Racey Rider
2nd February 2006, 13:50
Moto-Dynamix -New Plymouth - 06 7696937
Shaun Harris should know a thing or two.

(is the cheque in the mail Shaun?! :whistle: )

The Stranger
2nd February 2006, 13:50
Cost is an issue Lou.

I don't intend to keep the bike for a long time, I got it to experiment on, so would prefer not to spend all my experimentation funds on the rear shock alone.

There are 3 main brands which I am interested in and I figure I may as well shop around so as I have enough left to come back and buy the Power Commander from you guys.

TLDV8
2nd February 2006, 13:54
Power Commander

They are cheap on Ebay..... Brand new PCII for nz$180 to the door,bargain.

Lou Girardin
2nd February 2006, 14:01
Cost is an issue Lou.

I don't intend to keep the bike for a long time, I got it to experiment on, so would prefer not to spend all my experimentation funds on the rear shock alone.

I'd go for the Hagon then. I can't get into the importers website right now. I'll get you a price when I can.

Finn
2nd February 2006, 14:06
They are cheap on Ebay..... Brand new PCII for nz$180 to the door,bargain.

Lou did a deal on mine for around $100 cash. I can't remember exactly how much as he said the till was broken and couldn't give me a receipt. I guess I'll be getting a receipt in the post.

Thanks Lou and I appreciated you opening up the shop for me this morning at 5am. Did that guy buy the Harley for $5k?

Lou Girardin
2nd February 2006, 14:09
OK. Hagon shock = $715.50 inc. But they're not due for at least 2 months. For an extra $100 they'll fast freight it - it'll be here in 12 days.

DMNTD
2nd February 2006, 14:11
Lou did a deal on mine for around $100 cash. I can't remember exactly how much as he said the till was broken and couldn't give me a receipt.
Hope it didn't get too damaged when it fell from the truck ;)
Oh and yes,Lou will that truck be back around again anytime soon or was it a one stop shot sir?:hug: ;)

Lou Girardin
2nd February 2006, 14:12
Lou did a deal on mine for around $100 cash. I can't remember exactly how much as he said the till was broken and couldn't give me a receipt. I guess I'll be getting a receipt in the post.

Thanks Lou and I appreciated you opening up the shop for me this morning at 5am. Did that guy buy the Harley for $5k?

Laugh?
I nearly started.:Pokey:

The Stranger
2nd February 2006, 14:19
Mate, you're on to it.

I have enquiries into 2 other suppliers now, so will still consider their responses first though.

I will let you know in the next few days by which time I should have heard back.

Thank you very much.

justsomeguy
2nd February 2006, 14:34
While you're shopping around give Botany Honda a call.

Don't know if they deal/know about suspension stuff. But they've had unbeateable prices on all the stuff I've bought from them.

They're an authorised Honda dealer so may know about related aftermarket stuff.

Try your luck: Ph 274 2727

Oh and say something insulting to Josh while you're at it (joking).

pritch
2nd February 2006, 14:40
You could check out Maxton but you would have probably have to import it yourself. It's just another alternative to bear in mind...

Two Smoker
2nd February 2006, 20:49
The two big suspension guys that know their stuff (and i mean really know their stuff) Would be Shaun Harris at Moto-dynamix, and Robert Taylor at Hawera Motorcycles...

Others that come to mind are Ray Clee, (RCM, WP importer) and Craig from Colemans...

nadroj
2nd February 2006, 21:14
Got to agree Robert Taylor is not called Dr for nothing & Shaun is severly race setup experienced.
Eurobike in New Plymouth are the Hagon importers but you need to know someone to buy direct. Wink Wink

Zapf
2nd February 2006, 21:26
There's a guy at Cycletreads who's meant to be the bees knees.

I might have ran into him at Cycletreads actually... he setup my Hornet like the GSXR! Suspension all makes sense at 140km+ and bumpy around city streets... perhaps I should have explained to him that I wasn't planning to hoon on my Hornet....:innocent:

Leong
2nd February 2006, 22:02
Others that come to mind are Ray Clee, (RCM, WP importer) and Craig from Colemans...

Tried to talk to Craig at Colemans last week, seems he's not there (at Colemans) anymore....

Lou Girardin
3rd February 2006, 07:35
Eurobike in New Plymouth are the Hagon importers but you need to know someone to buy direct. Wink Wink

If they sold straight to the public, there'd be more than winking happening.

Zapf
3rd February 2006, 21:31
more than winking happening.

lots of booty action? :corn:

pritch
3rd February 2006, 22:03
If they sold straight to the public, there'd be more than winking happening.

That's probably why they don't...

R1madness
4th February 2006, 07:49
Like Lou said Ray Clee is the WP importer. Thats Ray Clee Motorcycle Performance in Keumu (i have spelt it wrong sorry). His WP suspension has won the NZsuperbike title for the last 4 years (except for last year where it finished second) and the 600 title last year. (runner up this year).
He really knows his stuff. What he doesn't have he WILL get ASAP. The front fork spring kit he did for my R1 mad a huge difference to its manners.