PDA

View Full Version : Help!! My tanks got a chip!!!

outlawtorn
1st February 2006, 14:03
Help Help

I was washing my bike on the weekend and noticed a chip on the front of the tank, it's obviously from a stone and has gone down to the metal. Is there anything I can do to prevent the onset of rust?

I know this happens to everyone's bike so some really good advice will go a long way.

I do know that in South Africa I used to have a clear enamel lacquer that came in a nail polish type bottle, can you get this kind of stuff here?

Thanks in advance.

Lou Girardin
1st February 2006, 14:16
Go to Car Colours at 18 Arrenway Drive, they should be able to match up a touch up pot.

Postie
1st February 2006, 14:17
best thing for chips is salt and vinigar.

but for your tank, you can buy spray clear Lacquer from placemakers for about $13 a can and theres more then you will need, it won't chip off easily like nail varnish would. that or touch up paint, you can buy it in little applicators with brushes and just choose the closest colour, there from hard ware stores or repco fro about $7-8. or you can put spray on fish oil to stop it rusting but that won't last long and it makes the finger that you use to spray with, smell like you have been fidling with unwashed granny whores. hope this helps

Cibby
1st February 2006, 15:51
clear nail polish works :)

and it doesnt chip off either, i've tried it :)

vifferman
1st February 2006, 15:55
Go to Car Colours at 18 Arrenway Drive, they should be able to match up a touch up pot.
There's also a place on Archers Road, Wairau Park (Smits) that sells paint in both touch-up bottles and spray cans.

Grahameeboy
1st February 2006, 15:56
clear nail polish works :)

and it doesnt chip off either, i've tried it :)

we are not talking about Posties nails Cibby

mr me
1st February 2006, 17:20
Any automotive paint suppler can help.They should be able to match a little bit of colour and put in a little touch up bottle with a brush that you can dot it in with ,dont bither with spray cans you will only make a mess. ihope this helps.

Coyote
1st February 2006, 17:43
How do you remove petrol fumes from a motorcycle tank?

outlawtorn
2nd February 2006, 11:46
thanks everyone, I'll try the placemakers first and see how that works out.