PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances???

Smorg
1st February 2006, 17:15
Just recieved a letter in the mail telling me to identify the rider that ran a red light on my bike. :cry:
Now i am the only one that rides my bike and i cant remember running any reds so...............:innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
Can the coppers do anything if i wasnt actually photographed or pulled over

ie. no proof that the bike actually ran the red??

Your comments ladys and gents:niceone: :niceone:

Drew
1st February 2006, 17:45
to my knowledge, they cannot prosecute for an offence they dont catch you doing.
My imformation comes from that Police Stop program. In one episode, they see some boy racers doing burnouts. But the cops are accross a set of train tracks and cant get there. They get on the bull horn and say they have the reg number of the car, and a ticket will be mailed out. Said boy racers fuck off, then the cop turns to the camera and explains that he cant actually do it, but it's good to put the fear of god up em for a while.
I hope this is still the case and you dont have to pay the fine.

ps. You should now go break as many road rules as you can, on the basis that if the five O can send bollocks tickets out, two can play thier game.
STICK IT TO THE MAN:finger:

myvice
1st February 2006, 17:48
Ask for a photo of when and where to help jog your memory...

GR81
1st February 2006, 18:24
"what letter?"

*cough*

Ixion
1st February 2006, 18:24
Yes, they can. If a cop sees you run a red light, that's all that's needed- his word "I saw motorcycle regn XXXXX run the red light, Y'r Honour". In theory, same if any upstanding citizen sees you and dobs you in, though that gets a bit more dodgy in court since it's your word against his. But you're a biker, so who's the judge going to believe.

If no-one is willing to get in the witness box and swear to seeing it with their own eyes , you're OK. Can't be done on hearsay evidence. But are you sure it's your bike? People make mistakes with regos . Do the details, make model colour match?

Colapop
1st February 2006, 18:33
"I intended to sell my bike and this bloke came and took it for a test ride. He didn't buy it and I forgot his name...."

froggyfrenchman
1st February 2006, 18:41
if a member of public makes a complaint, they fill out an anonomous form and give it to the cops, who foward it to the regd owner. I have received 3 such forms in the past and have never seen a letter written by a cop or had a phone call or anything. Just to avoid any more, have stopped kicking in mirrors and have taken up the nail in boot heel trick...

Smorg
1st February 2006, 19:45
"I intended to sell my bike and this bloke came and took it for a test ride. He didn't buy it and I forgot his name...."

Thats a good one but somehow i dont think they would buy it
:pinch:

crashe
1st February 2006, 19:50
Write back to them asking for the photo of the bike and rider.....
The photo will have the date and time on it...

From that you will be able to know who it was :whistle:

Sniper
1st February 2006, 20:46
Ask for a photo or proof.

Shadows
1st February 2006, 21:07
Nah I'm pretty sure you're sweet. "I can't recall that incident" should have them fucked unless they have a photo of you or a witness willing to stand in court. If they had either of those they probably just would have given you a summons. As long as you don't admit anything (and you obviously won't be if you say you can't remember) I can't imagine there is anything they can do.

It sounds like they just want you to identify yourself as the rider ("I'm the only rider" would probably be enough so be careful), thereby dobbing yourself in. The burden of proof is on them, they don't have it, so they are counting on you to be stoopid enough to hand it to them!

scumdog
1st February 2006, 21:16
If they felt grumpy they might send you the 'official' letter requiring you to i.d. rider at time and place mentioned.
Fine for failing to supply such info is up to $10,000 but I wouldn't sweat it 'cos the highest fine I've seen for not saying who was riding a bike/driving a car was only $1,500!!
Hope this helps.

Lou Girardin
2nd February 2006, 12:12
They may have you on video. Ask for more details such as the colour of the riders gear, that will tell you how much they know.

SPman
2nd February 2006, 13:57
I notice there is a disclosure clause in the new WA traffic regs - failure to disclose the rider of a bike will result in the registered owner being pinged - heavily!
So we'll see this out here then, in due course.....if its not already in the regs!

Colapop
2nd February 2006, 14:01
Thats a good one but somehow i dont think they would buy it
:pinch:
Neither did the fella that took your bike for a test ride!

ManDownUnder
2nd February 2006, 14:06
Tell 'em your interested in helping them and would like a photo to do so.

They supply you with what evidence they have, you look like the good guy, and if they have nothing to send you, (i.e. they can't help you) you simply say you can't help them.

Keep a copy of the letter on file too...
Good luck!

marty
6th February 2006, 20:50
ask for more information - time date place (although that should be on the letter already). photo/video capture if available. don't give any details about who may have been riding at this stage

DevoDave
6th February 2006, 21:36
The bad news is that unfortunately there is "Owner Onus" which, paraphrased, means that as the owner of a vehicle you are responsible for any offense commited using that vehicle and you are required to provide the name and address of any person using the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence.

The Almost good news is; The prosecutors have to prove that an offence occured and it hey have a photo then it is pretty well "good night nurse" but if they are reliant on information provided by a member of the public then you will have a good chance of defending any such charge as most of the great unwashed are not well versed in firstly observing an offense and secondly are pretty poor in giving evidence.

If it were me I would initially deny all knowledge of the said offence and request further information placing your bike at the scene and then if they are able to do that defend the charge and see what information they are able to produce in court, you are always able to change your plea if the evidence stacks up agains you.

If if is a civilian witness a good lawyer should be able to tear their evidence to shreads.

Good luck.