PDA

View Full Version : Boot sizes.

Motu
26th March 2004, 14:14
After 23 years I've finaly decided to replace my boots - getting Gaerne trials boots and it's taken 3 emails to get any sense out of Nelson Marlborough Trials Centre even though my first email supplied all the information required.I have always taken a 7 (I'm petite) which is a 41 euro - oh,41 is not common,it will take 3 mths to some in.Last time I tried on bike boots 41 were too tight and 42 were a good fit.So then I google a boot size chart which tells me how to measure my foot and what size that coresponds to - 252mm,but when I clipped the big toe nail my foot is now 230mm long - hey,thats a 39 or 6 ,6.5 - no way,I can't fit them!

I don't want to mail order a boot that doesn't fit - a 39 that's too small or a 42 that's too big - what do you lot find with boot sizings?

One of our trials guys is the Gaerne importer,but I don't have his contact number,maybe I'll wait 3 weeks till the next trial - I'd like to try them on first.

Slim
26th March 2004, 14:17
Go in to Motomail & try on a selection of boots & order the average size. :)

I found that I went from a 42 to a 44 when Alpinestar did a major change in the style of their road race boots. You really need to try them on or arrange to send them back for replacement if they're too big/small.

Personally, I wouldn't buy something like that over the internet without being able to try them on first.

Good luck.

duckman
26th March 2004, 14:24
I would try an avoid ordering boots through the mail. (if thats what your talking about), theres more to a boot than just the length (no jokes about length here please... oh go on then), theres also the girth... :eek:

I'd deffintely spend some time at a shop trying different brands and sizes to get the boot that you'll be happy with for the next few years.

A bad boot = Distraction
Distraction = Crash

I reckon, spend the time and get it right. :msn-wink:

Solarwind
26th March 2004, 14:35
You really do need to try them on, first. Boot sizes are notoriously inconsistent.

Big Dog
26th March 2004, 16:16
Trying to find a boot to take a 12 wide is a real mission. 13 is too big but 12 is too narrow (NZ sizes) anything foreign 13 is too narrow and too short. :( Big feet is no party.

DebK
26th March 2004, 17:04
Just bought some 2nd hand (but hardly worn) Sidi Vertebra 2 Tepor sport/race boots and they're Euro size 42. While they fit me perfectly I doubt they would fit a male foot. My foot is long & narrow but a guys foot is normally wider, yes?

Definitely wouldn't risk buying without trying Motu. I took a risk in importing my Alpinestars jacket & worried like heck until I got it and confirmed correct size.

wari
26th March 2004, 20:25
Buy big ... use thick socks and odour eaters or inner soles :Punk:

Holy Roller
26th March 2004, 22:22
Buy big ... use thick socks and odour eaters or inner soles :Punk:
Will keep you feet warm on cold days also :ride:
Especially if you are thinking of attending cold Kiwi or any winter riding.

k14
26th March 2004, 22:26
Yeah boot sizing sucks the big one.

I ordered some boots from auzzie last year and had to send them back cause they were a little too big.

I went 2 sizes (i think) down from my normal shoes, or maybe 1 and a half. But motorbike boots need to be a fairly tight fit, but my normal shoes are fairly loose.

Just see if you can send them back if they are the wrong size. Most places will do that and you will only have to pay for shipping. Which is alot less to nelson than it is to aussie.

Hope you get them fitting good.

Motu
28th March 2004, 19:31
Ok,I'll try them before I buy.Next question....

You don't get boots to last 23 yrs if you don't look after them,and that I have - they are my road boots,my trials boots,my off road boots and in the knee down thread you can see the steel shoe I strapped to them and used on a speedway track.They are covered in pimples from gorse - our riding area was covered in gorse,they would put a slasher through for firebreaks,so we rode them.Every time they got dirty,which was every weekend in my trials days - they would be scrubbed with saddle soap then treated with Saddlene,found in every good hardware store.

Trouble is now we don't have good hardware stores - we have Mitre 10 or Placemakers,take your pick.So I started to use Sno Seal which all the bike shops were stocking.Since I started using Sno Seal my boots deteriated rapidly,the leather just falling apart.OK,so they are old,very old,it's time they fell apart - but I dunno,I think the wax has damaged the leather,instead of making it soft and supple like a leather dressing it makes it hard,forcing fibres apart.

What does everyone else use to dress leather,is wax the thing to use? How about you Jack? - how long does horse gear last if treated regually with saddle dressings?

merv
29th March 2004, 12:35
Since 1970 or so I have always been a cheapskate so used work boot style lace ups for dirt riding and have only thrown away 1 pair in that time and I still have the ones I bought in about 1983 complete with steel toe caps. When I bought my VFR I bought a pair of lighter zip-up road boots and a year ago I got carried away (read that as getting too old to bend over too much etc etc) and bought a pair of Sidi dirt boots with the fast clip buckles instead of laces.

I am too lazy to clean them with sno seal though I have a pile of it in the house but used to concentrate on just using nugget and a brush for my dirt boots. However, I think I said on here before I discovered the liquid nugget at the supermarkets (they sell it as kids stuff now) and use that exclusively now on all my leather. Makes it look good but isn't waterproof. If I want waterproof I put on a waterproof layer e.g rubber boots, plastic leggings or whatever. So road boots are easy to touch up with the liquid foam pad bottle thingy, while dirt boots I wash them first, let them dry in the garage and then apply the liquid nugget stuff.

Works for me.