PDA

View Full Version : Help funny noise

pastybee
1st February 2006, 18:48
Hi,
I have noticed a slight raspy noise when driving in the front wheel almost like in a car when your brakes are low it has a measure to tell you brakes are low

Could this be what it is telling me?
Looked at the brakes but not to sure what to look for.

It wouldn't be the discs?

Thanks Peter

Hitcher
1st February 2006, 18:51
Take the apostrophe out of discs and insert it into wouldn't. That may solve your problem.

pastybee
1st February 2006, 18:52
just tried that still makes the noise.
try again

adyone
1st February 2006, 19:20
sounds exactly like what my bike sounds like sometimes.had my disc ground by precision grinders in town replaced my pads and stripped the caliper.
It was great for a time but now the noise and grating feeling it has returned when i stop at low speed.
Brakes work very well now, especially when used hard.

Gixxer 4 ever
1st February 2006, 19:31
Hi,
I have noticed a slight raspy noise when driving in the front wheel almost like in a car when your brakes are low it has a measure to tell you brakes are low

Could this be what it is telling me?
Looked at the brakes but not to sure what to look for.

It wouldn't be the discs?

Thanks Peter
Sounds like the pads could be worn. You are looking to see how thick the brake pad material is that is stuck to the steel.
Mind you it could be dirt in there or your drive for your Speedo. Run the bike forward and see if you can hear the noise. Slowly pull the lever on and see if the noise changes. More or less etc. If applying the brakes changes the noise I would think it is the pads. Not too expensive. However as it is brakes you need to get them right. If you have no experience try and get someone to work with you or send it to the shop.

pastybee
1st February 2006, 19:52
Sounds like the pads could be worn. You are looking to see how thick the brake pad material is that is stuck to the steel.
Mind you it could be dirt in there or your drive for your Speedo. Run the bike forward and see if you can hear the noise. Slowly pull the lever on and see if the noise changes. More or less etc. If applying the brakes changes the noise I would think it is the pads. Not too expensive. However as it is brakes you need to get them right. If you have no experience try and get someone to work with you or send it to the shop.

Tried rolling it fwd and its the bake brakes making the noise. The disc at the back is a lot thinner than the front is this normal ?

Bonez
2nd February 2006, 05:12
I'm sure one of the more experienced Wellywood riders could pop around and put your mind at rest. You don't want them locking up on you like my old cb750F1 rear did.

My GB400 front disks rub at slow speed too. Brake pads are fine and the brakes work perfectly.

Gixxer 4 ever
2nd February 2006, 06:13
Tried rolling it fwd and its the bake brakes making the noise. The disc at the back is a lot thinner than the front is this normal ?
What Bonez said. You need to get it looked at. Disc thickness = disk wear.
Maybe the calliper is not returning and the pad is rubbing. It is good the back is giving these problems. Cheaper to fix. There are too many things that can go wrong doing this job yourself if you have no experience. You need tools. Pity you are so far away or we could have a look at it. See if another KBer will come have a look or off to the shop.

Motu
2nd February 2006, 06:33
Hard metalic pads can sound like metal on metal...nice soft organic (asbestos) pads are quiet.Clean the pads up (deglaze) apply high temp grease to moving points and antisqueal compound to disc backing.