PDA

View Full Version : Northern Exposure Tour 06 - Part 2 of 3

Qkchk
1st February 2006, 18:54
Day 2

The overall plan was to ride up to the lighthouse (Cape Reinga) and back then out to Mangonui for arvo tea. Jo had decided she needed to 'chill' so opted to say behind and catch some sunrays and do a little reading (Pic 16). 5 of us took off just after 9am (Me, Custard, Little Mike, Damon and Nigel) made our way north. We stopped at the Pukenui servo - they were the last fuel stop heading north, Waitiki Landing had run out of petrol both 91 and 96. Usually they would be the last fuel stop - the last in New Zealand before you hit Australia! We had a good stretch of roading (awesome for doing flying laps!) all the way up to Waitiki Landing where we stopped for breakfast. Good ol' toasted sandwiches and breakfast fry-up was in order. Feeling fufiled we pushed on to the most difficult part of the ride - gravel and mud!

The AA road signs back in Awanui (next town north after Kaitaia) indicated that the last section to the lighthouse was unsealed for 21kms but in fact the gravel is only approx 17kms. They intend to add a few more kms each year so eventually it may be sealed totally in about 5 or 6 years! (yeah right........) We later found out when we arrived (after much anal flinching) that the grader had been through the road 3 days before and had made one hell of a mess. The tourist buses where sliding down the hills SIDEWAYS. The road was in poor condition and was for only the experienced rider. Mud, gravel and flying bricks otherwise known as 4x4's and the occasional mad tourists. We managed to make it with the boys all motocrossing their sportbikes and me nannering up the rear.

Was a nice day up there the view was about 80% could see all around except for the Three Kings Is. Supposedly a shitload of buses had been up earlier in the morning to catch the sunrise but all they got was low cloud and drizzle, guess we got it right. A heap of photos (Pics 17,18,19,& 20) and smart arse remarks later we made our way back before the buses took off. The boys decided to detour @ Te Paki stream (I dunno why, it's just a fresh water stream that passes through giant sandunes) they watched a guy go flying down one of them on a toboggan - (I must admit it is fun if you get the chance to do it) then they had the Nilety Mile Road Race back to Houhora where I had headed to off earlier.. The boys carried on back to camp, I have rellies up there so it's natural to drop in and say boo. So after a cuppa and a natter both Custard and I made our way back to the camp. Cold showers were on order (shit it was muggy!) and after a we sit and a coffee break all of us (6) made our way out to Mangonui. Damon and Nigel had decided to head down to Paihia that evening so we planned to acompany them some of the way....

Continued below.........

T.I.E
1st February 2006, 19:06
liking the write up's hanging out for part 3. wicke3d stuff

Qkchk
1st February 2006, 19:10
So we had a good non-eventful ride out to Mangonui. Stopped at the Mangonui Fish Shop. It used to be one of my fav hangouts but unfortunately the tourist buses (the ones from Cape Reinga) have changed the shop for the worse and they have put their prices up and the quality had gone down :cry: such a shame........ but becides that they are still ok for a feed.

Right, so we are there minding our own business when out of the blue a '04/'05 MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi (old school) and a Aprilia RS250R (genuine race replica) rock up (sorry no photos :doh:). After a natter we discover that they are local boys and know the same people we know etc, etc and then stories of evading the local cops pops up. Story goes that the guy riding the Guzzi passed the local copper in the main street of Kaitaia @ 170kmh (in a 50kph zone!!) then the guy on the Rs250R (who doesnt even have a license) passed the both of them @ 210kph! The cop didnt even bother to give chase, but it wouldnt surprise me that the coppers know who they are anyway in such a small community. So a couple of laughs and more stories later they headed off at a hell of a pace back to Kaitaia (well of course you have to put on a show in front of other bikes..... we are all guilty of it..)

The four of us (Me, Custard, Little Mike and Mv Senna) bid our goodbyes to Damon and Nigel and made our way back as well but at a more sedated pace. I took the lead out of Mangonui, thro Coopers Beach and Cable bay. But after Taipa I lost the other 3 behind me. Seems they had a little bit of unwanted company in a form of a cop. Eventually, as Custard put it, the cop pulled all 3 of them up, got out with his ticket book in hand and approached Custard. Custard had removed his helmet by then and was ready to rip into the cop since they had been doin right on the speed limit (picking on bikers). As the cop approached Custard he noticed his rego plate wasn't 37M**. They were on the hunt for a high flying yellow bike. We put two and two together that they were looking for the Kaitaia Fast crew we had been talking to earlier. The Moto Guzzi happend to be the same colour as Custards Gixxer..... :lol:

So after that bit of entertainment we dropped in to the Ancient Kauri Kingdom. If you haven't been there, you must stop in for a look if you are in the area. Beautiful workmanship. They have made a staircase (Pic 22) out of a 100,000? year old kauri tree that they pulled out of the swamp in the local area. All through Awanui and surrounding districts it used to be a giant Kauri forest that over time evolved into swampland then into farmland. The wood has been preserved in the swamps for thousands of years. http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/ After a lie down on the wooden couch (Pic 21) and a look at a awesome table top (Pic23 - The table was called 'Rock Pool', the photo does it no justice) we made our way back to Waipapakauri Ramp for the smorgasboard - Lamb on the Spit. A good feed and quite a few bottles later, we finished the day by talking shit and squishing mozzies (well, I squished them...) next time I will be bringing the coils..... Total Kms 345kms
End of Part 2

nadroj
1st February 2006, 19:30
I'm disCustard with your antics.
Good ride good read.

Qkchk
1st February 2006, 20:15
I'm disCustard with your antics.
Good ride good read.
Oh cut that out your making me :o

DMNTD
1st February 2006, 21:16
Those pic's are exquisite!! Blown away by the one with Custard and Mike:shit:
Would've gone but it was raining.....:corn: :corn: :shifty:

Leong
2nd February 2006, 05:37
Cool read Qkchk, sounds like you guys had fun. Always wanted to try the F n c at Mongonui, but looks like I've missed out!!