PDA

View Full Version : insurance --excess intresting twist

grego
2nd February 2006, 06:37
So I got wacked by a tintop the other day and when I talked to my Bike shop they reckoned I would have to pay the Excess when picking up the bike after the repairs were done.
Now Figure: The tintop driver is at fault so really I should, being the "inocent" victim, not occur any expenses and, If I would NOT be insured myself, his insurance would probably pay for all my damage. BUT, and here comes the UGLY TWIST, because I have insurance I am responsible for hundreds of dollars worth of excess.
If I would be younger, I understand the excess can be thousands of dollars worth.........................
Am I being """DOUBBLE_DONE "" here ???????

buellbabe
2nd February 2006, 06:45
Did yr Insurance Company assess the damage bla bla and give the ok for repairs to go ahead?
In theory I agree that since the other vehicle is at fault you should not have to pay anything...
I'd be grumbling and changing Insurers. Personally I use Protector and they have been good to me, I got rear-ended by a truck and not only did they let me keep the old parts but they also covered a couple of other wee things that were totally unrelated!

grego
2nd February 2006, 06:56
I am insured with "Classic"", actually, they have not even cashed the check yet as the bike is brand new but thanks for your input buellbabe, I shall put this to them when they start penny - pinching.........

Big Chim
2nd February 2006, 06:57
Yeah, who are you with??

Sniper
2nd February 2006, 07:05
Insurances work on a knock for knock basis. Basically what that means is that the party at faults insurance will pay for their party to repair their vehicles and your insurance will pay for your damages.

Any excess is not the responsibility of the insurance company as you signed a form stating that you have to pay x amount of excess in the event of paying for any damages. The best bet to make sure you don't have to pay the excess is to chase up the other party personally to make them pay for it.

The insurances do not deal in paying the excess for you.

I work for a rental car agency and I deal with something like this 2 or 3 times a week.

MSTRS
2nd February 2006, 07:35
One of the ways they try to shaft you. Pound on the desk/ear of your insurer and insist that the excess is paid by the other party as was their fault. I have done this and it worked.

buellbabe
2nd February 2006, 07:39
With my Protector policy if its not my fault and there is another party involved then I do NOT have to pay the excess.

sAsLEX
2nd February 2006, 07:41
The best bet to make sure you don't have to pay the excess is to chase up the other party personally to make them pay for it.

This is bullshit! You pay for a service which can be many thousands a year so that if someone does crash into you that they will take care of it. Lazy Insurance people, it should be their job to chase the other party up for their money, why should you have to do anything when your not at fault!??!

Grahameeboy
2nd February 2006, 07:55
Insurances work on a knock for knock basis. Basically what that means is that the party at faults insurance will pay for their party to repair their vehicles and your insurance will pay for your damages.

Any excess is not the responsibility of the insurance company as you signed a form stating that you have to pay x amount of excess in the event of paying for any damages. The best bet to make sure you don't have to pay the excess is to chase up the other party personally to make them pay for it.

The insurances do not deal in paying the excess for you.

I work for a rental car agency and I deal with something like this 2 or 3 times a week.

Sorry wrong Sniper.......the Insurance should waive the excess under K4K and if not K4K as long as liablity is accepted the excess will be waived........it is standard insurance practice.....

The Stranger
2nd February 2006, 08:03
You are correct in that if they cause the problem it is their responsibility to pay, except if you contirbuted in some way e.g. they pulled out on you, but you were speeding.

You can (and we have) used small claims to recover the excess. In my sons case $1150.00.

It really pays to be very well prepared and assume the adjudicator is thick (often are actually) when preparing. Photos of the scene and vehicles, repair quotes, police reports etc, cause even if it is clearly their fault they can lie through their teeth and in the end the adjudicator will make a decision based on the evidence available to them that day. If you are not prepared and they rule against you, you may wind up paying for the other vehicle.

Sniper
2nd February 2006, 08:20
As stated guys and gals..... that is the proces I use at least 2 or 3 times a week. We collect our excess from the customer regardless of fault and they do the rest to claim it back. Our insurance does nothing to reimburse the innocent party.

If its wrong it works for me.

Grahameeboy
2nd February 2006, 08:29
As stated guys and gals..... that is the proces I use at least 2 or 3 times a week. We collect our excess from the customer regardless of fault and they do the rest to claim it back. Our insurance does nothing to reimburse the innocent party.

If its wrong it works for me.

That is your Collision Damage excess which is seperate to the Insurance excess applied by Insurer, which is often lower......and can be waived by Insurer.

sAsLEX
2nd February 2006, 08:34
That is your Collision Damage excess which is seperate to the Insurance excess applied by Insurer, which is often lower......and can be waived by Insurer.

Explain please!?

So say I have full insurance on my bike, a Hat wearing old man takes me out, completely at fault with a thousand eye witnessess and video evidence etc...

I do not pay anything in this case if he is insured do I. I contact my insurance company and inform them of the accident and they should kick in to gear and organise the bike to be picked up and if the policy defines it, alternative transport for me.

Is that correct??

Grahameeboy
2nd February 2006, 08:37
Explain please!?

So say I have full insurance on my bike, a Hat wearing old man takes me out, completely at fault with a thousand eye witnessess and video evidence etc...

I do not pay anything in this case if he is insured do I. I contact my insurance company and inform them of the accident and they should kick in to gear and organise the bike to be picked up and if the policy defines it, alternative transport for me.

Is that correct??

Indeedee.....may not get alternative transport but can claim from other Insurer if you can justify....what have you got against hat wearing old men?

Pablo Uganda
2nd February 2006, 08:44
I had a car crash a while back, 12k worth of damage to the wife's new Falcon.
The woman who rear ended me was'nt insured.
We paid nothing when picking the car up after fixing as it was'nt my fault, so no excess to be paid.
The woman was even billed for the rental car the wife used for a month.

I had to go to small claims court 6 months later as the woman never bothered to cough up.
I only went to the court as a witness for AMI who were claiming off her, and she never turned up, so she's fucked.

Sniper
2nd February 2006, 08:49
Just spoke to our insurance. The policy I stated applies to most rentals firms with over 1500 cars. It does not apply to the average person. Sorry to confuse ya.

Grahamhee, you are off on the wrong track. Collision damage excess is the exact as a normal excess in our case. A waiver can reduce that excess but us as the rental car firm still has to pay an excess on any insurance claim