PDA

View Full Version : Six go wild in the SI - Part I

skelstar
2nd February 2006, 08:00
A couple of Sunday mornings ago five Aucklanders and one token Wellingtonian (Hyosung 250GT) met at a blustery grey Wellington Ferry Terminal. Keystone19 (SV650S), motobob (GSXR1000K4), Zapf (CB900 Hornet), Liz and Paul (non-KBers: 2up VTR1000F) had all ridden down from Auckland via Wanganui the previous day. We were on our way to Wanaka via the East Coast, and returning via the West Coast.

Day One - Wanganui
KS19 says: The trip from Auckland was largely uneventful. A casual lunch at Boscos in Te Kuiti followed by a quick blat toward the Paraparas. It got a little interesting through the Paraparas when Keystone19 hit some gravel roadworks with Zapf following close behind. Once round the corner, a quick check in the rear vision mirror revealed an absence of following rider. Oh oh, Zapf decided that his bike needed a rest in the gravel. Fortunately the damage was minimal and after some help from some passing motorcyclists (thanks guys) he was back on the road again.

After an overnighter in Wanganui courtesy of Paul's sister, we hit the road early to meet skelstar in time for the 1045am ferry.

Donkey of the day: Zapf (gravel)

Day Two - Kaikoura
First mission for Sunday was riding over the Queen Charlotte Drive. We had decided on the ferry that the road through to Kaikoura was going to be a little too straight so a late-lunch stop in Havelock was in order. A left, and a right and we were on possibly the most windy peice of road that we would encounter on the trip. I immediately took a spot at the back of the group and enjoyed the ride. A stop in Havelock and I decided to check my front tire as the steering had felt a little sluggish. 15psi later and I knew that I had some issues (pumped up my tire in welly that morning). After a brief trip to Blenheim and tire recheck I discovered a screw embedded in the centre of the tire. Bugger. Pumped the tire up and hoped for the best. A good blast down the Kaikoura Coast including a crayfish feeding frenzy and we were in Kaikoura. One exhorbenantly priced meal later and we headed back to our nice accomodation.

Donkey of the day: skelstar (flat tyre - I mean....COME ON!?!?)

Day Three- Christchurch
Monday started with me getting up a bit earlier than others to find a gargre that would fix my tire. Caltex were less than helpful so I ended up in a ATV/mower shop with a enthusiastic young lad that tried to convince me that my bike was italian. Ooookkkkaaayyyy :weird:. $45 later my bike was safe[er] to ride. Got back to the motel to find that mbob's GSXRK4 had a 'flat battery'. A flat battery that was magically fixed by taking it out of gear...unbeknownst to the AA guy that had been called in to fix the problem. I bet he was giving himself a 'high-five' on the way home, whereas mbob was avoiding KS19's ribbing. Suzuki owners huh?

We got our shit together and headed for the inland Kaikoura road that runs through to Hamner Springs. An interesting road that at one stage was coated in cow's poo (actual cow's poo, not dodgy Waiararapa share-milkers). There was a mysterious spray drifting across the road that I was later informed was 'mist from a shit-spreader'. Im glad I turned my helmet and closed my mouth. Hamner came up eventually and we settled down to spendidly decorated lattes etc. A plan was then hatched for a ride through to Springs Junc over the Lewis pass road. 90kms later and I had passed the bulk of the group (on the side of the road) and am bearing down on springs junc. KS19 nuts past me going in the opposite direction obviously perplexed as to why the 250-guy was infront of the others. Almost everyone got to Springs Junc and then return to Hamner for gas. Woo it was hot. Hottest day this year apparently. I enjoyed the LPass road...it was nice and fast with plently of 75, 65 corners. Had a good little ride out infront of the big bikes on the way back (tail-wind, what can I say?).

We all bike swapped our way to CHCH (me-Hornet/SV650S) where we unpack in a fanastic townhouse in the middle of the city. Awesome. A few txt's later and the KBers go down and meet Dangerous, ZZR, OAB, TonyB, and Speedygirl in a local pub. Ta for the lift Penny. It was 'comedy' night that night and even though we were down the back of the pub we were constantly told to keep quiet. ITS A PUB FOR F^&K SAKE!!! Kicked OAB's new GSXRs tires a bit and chewed the fat with the locals. Great meeting you guys!

Donkey of the day: motoBob (bike in gear but brain wasnt :))

Day Four - Wanaka
Learning fairly early on that mbob had to be kept on a short leash we managed to navigate out of CHCH and headed for Darfield. Despite a 20km long roadworks the trip was fairly routine through to Tekapo. Knocked out by the heat again we lounged around watching NZers towing boats giving tourists driving lessons. A cop turned up a little later to hammer the point home a bit more. Dont know what the trangression was but Im just glad that he didnt pay too much attention to my back tyre :whistle:..Zapf demonstrates a penchant for german tourists by offering to take a photo of a lithe but lonelly cyclist. Not the last one I wager. ;)

A stop at Pukaki for a gander at Aoraki we continued on to Twizel. Hanging out in the park we were immediately surounded by local children. There were the obligatory photos on bikes of course (KS's - she didnt know). We even saw a red-bull coloured Busa ride in with the plate 'PIGB8'. Obviously asking for trouble...is this the only thing the motorcycle youth can do in the Big T? We again headed off, this time through Omarama, onto the melting Lindis Pass (ta for the warning LBTWin) and through to Wanaka. Excellent accomodation again (2km out of W on the Crown Range Road). A really nice house with three bedrooms, grassy lawn, and BBQ area.

Donkey of the day: motoBob (carry-over champion)

Day Five - Wanaka
Wednesday was a bit of a rest day for the group. I had to ride through the Crown Range Road to Alexandra to visit my grandparents. The others were to ride to Glenorchy where some would hang out in the sun for a couple of hours whereas KS and mbob would ride down some rapids on floating board things. The others then rode up a gritty Coronet Peak road for some photos while I was heading home via the CR. Man that road was awesome! The route up from the Arrowtown had very tight/steep 35,45km/h posted turns and the Wanaka side was more 55,65km/h posted turns and FAST! I got trollied waiting for the others to turn up.

A nice southerly promised cooler/settled weather for the West Coast for the next four days. :niceone:

Donkey of the day: motoBob (carry-over champion)

....continued soon

Hitcher
2nd February 2006, 08:59
More please. And photos?

skelstar
2nd February 2006, 09:04
Just posted Part II.
Sorry about the length. Im not much of a condenser ;).
Zapf is sorting out photos, there were about 500 I think.

Keystone19
2nd February 2006, 09:14
A few additions to the story...

In Queenstown, Motobob and I decided to do the river sledding thing (no-one else was brave enough) so we headed down the Kawerau gorge following the sledging bus. Donning wetsuits, helmets, life jackets and flippers and grabbing our boogie boards we were launched into the river. Damn it was hard work! Motobob managed one run down the river and pleading old age chose to sit out the second run with another person who chose not to do it. I ventured back for a second run and despite my attempts to surf the waves was spat out every time!

On our way back to Queenstown we had to play catch-up with the bus. Motobob decided that seeing as the river guides had got one over on him, he'd show them what speed was all about. Needless to say, he caught the bus fairly quickly. The guides were later heard to say that when they looked at their speedo they were doing 90 and with some interesting calculations tried to work out just how fast Motobob was going when he passed the bus. I later suggested they needed to add a little to their calculations...

To top it off, I ended up taking one of the guides for a quick blat up the Glenorchy road after Motobob insisted that the guide borrow his gear. Motobob had wanted to take him for the ride himself but for some reason the guide decided that I might be a better option...:whistle:

Needless to say, the guide really knows what adrenaline is now...:devil2:

zadok
2nd February 2006, 09:33
Awesome. Must do the South Island some time..........:niceone:

Leong
2nd February 2006, 12:49
Great read guys, looking forward to parts 2 and 3, and photos..... I remember once being at Coronet Peak in the summer - we wandered for miles, screaming our heads off, and listening to the echoes.....those were the days...

skelstar
2nd February 2006, 12:53
Part II here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=24047
Part III here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=496333#post496333

Zapf
5th February 2006, 18:17
PHOTOS! :) HERE (http://60.234.65.19/_/photos/200601_20_SI_Trip/)

Fordy
5th February 2006, 20:29
Great pics, just how many menory cards did you take!

Zapf
5th February 2006, 21:10
2 x 1 Gb SD cards :) at full resolution they are well over 2Mb each

Leong
6th February 2006, 07:36
Stunning photos F, great advertisement for NZ. Liked the ones of bikes in motion with scenery behind... maybe next years KB calendar??!!

Did a skydive over Taupo in December... was awesome. Over the glaciers etc on such a nice day would have been amazing...

Zapf
6th February 2006, 10:03
Stunning photos F, great advertisement for NZ. Liked the ones of bikes in motion with scenery behind... maybe next years KB calendar??!!

Great idea :)

miSTa
6th February 2006, 17:11
Great photos there, sounds like you guys had a trip of a lifetime. :clap: :clap:

Shame about the pub though - wtf is wrong with a pub that doesn't want anybody to talk? It's not as if these guys (the comedians on stage) were funny in the first place. Still it was good to catch up with you all.

Hitcher
7th February 2006, 07:55
Nice slideshow. Just like being there! How exactly did you post these?

Zapf
7th February 2006, 12:25
Nice slideshow. Just like being there! How exactly did you post these?

ermm... u don't. Its not part of KB. I used photoshop to make it up and put it on my own server.

SpeedyGirl
7th February 2006, 12:31
Nice to meet you all, sounds like you had a fantastic time!!!:woohoo:

Hitcher
7th February 2006, 15:29
ermm... u don't. Its not part of KB. I used photoshop to make it up and put it on my own server.
Really nice work. Both the content and the delivery.

Zapf
9th February 2006, 22:25
Really nice work. Both the content and the delivery.

thanks.... welcome to ask for some high res ones if you fancy them for a wallpaper to two...

Bonez
11th February 2006, 07:20
Just goes to show ya don't need a mega blaster, multi-tonne bike to go touring on ah?

skelstar
11th February 2006, 07:31
Sure...but there were some fairly dodgy passing manouvres :) (not that I HAD to make them).