PDA

View Full Version : Chch ride in the clouds

far queue
2nd February 2006, 20:57
Had a great ride tonight round the port hills. Went to Lytelton via the tunnel, up the hill past the timeball station, left at the Godley Head turn off, along the Summit Rd, then Gebbies Pass, Left at the wind turbine, left at the Wheatsheaf, through Gov Bay, right at the Dyers Pass intersection, through Cass Bay, back through the tunnel and home. The wind wasn’t too bad especially considering how it was blowing when I left work, though the road was a bit damp in places from the low cloud. The road was fairly sheltered, the wind was worst off the road along some of the ridges. I walked up to some and rode along some and even found a 4wd track to explore that I hadn’t noticed before. It was BLOODY windy up at the turbine – surprise, surprise.

Be nice to do it with company next time, I'll stay on the road for ya - promise.
Any other dual sporters in chch on here ?

Pics as follows
1. Gov Bay from Summit Rd
2. Sugar Loaf in cloud
3. A wee bit of cloud on Gebbies Pass
4. DR at the wind turbine
5. It was a bit windy here
6. Sugar Loaf in cloud

Sniper
2nd February 2006, 22:47
Lol, I'll be around mate, as long as Im not working so late. Got home at 1030pm

far queue
3rd February 2006, 08:23
Lol, I'll be around mate, as long as Im not working so late. Got home at 1030pm

That's OK, shit happens. It ended up being a bit late in the day to organise anyone else. I'll get it together a bit earlier next time, plus the weather had been looking a bit iffy yesterday. I'd been looking forward to the ride and so just decided at the end of the day, bugger the weather I'm going anyway. And it was an interesting ride in those conditions. The wind turbine was quite cool, makes a cool sound, especially when you're right under it.

Bren_chch
3rd February 2006, 21:40
mmmmm DR650, gizza go!!! :msn-wink:

laRIKin
4th February 2006, 08:00
Hi there Far Queue.
Good to see an other dirt rider
A mate of mine (KLX 400) and I (KTM 640) will be keen.
An other mate also has a DR 650 and he rides with us when he can and
so does Serow Down Under (XT225).
In about 2 weeks Canterbury Yamaha are doing a adventure ride. (we may go?)
We go riding most Sundays, and at least (mainly) up and down the Waimakariri River.
We normally go up one side over the Gorge and down the other. (120-160 k's)
We are going to check out Ashley and the Eyre river a bit more.
We do do a lot of bush bashing so I hope that you do not mined scratchers.
As my mate on the DR still has the standard tires and doesn't like to knock his bike about to much. (but still loves to ride off road)
So we ride in the more open area's with him.

We should be going out Sunday or Monday so SDU can ride with us (shorter ride).
Or I maybe riding both days, well I'm going to the north side near the MX track to try out an other mates new trials bike (Gas Gas 250) about 10-ish.

If you are keen for a ride let me know.

Buy the way I know of a good little 92 Serow 225 that could be regoed for about $1500.
If any one is interested.

Lemans

far queue
4th February 2006, 10:59
You guys weren’t riding from Lyttleton to Gov Bay on Thurs at around 8.10pm were you? I was heading towards Lyttleton at the end of the ride I described above and saw a KLX400 go past followed by what could have been a KTM and a blue DR – I was a bit busy in the twisties to get a good look.

Yeah, sure I’d be keen to come out with you guys. I’ve done that loop round the Waimak a few times now, normally start at Coutts Island up to the gorge and back down the North side. It’s a fun day ride. The Ashley’s got some good areas to have a play in. In theory you can ride the Eyre riverbed all the way from the Waimak to Oxford, I had a go some time ago but bailed out part way. It was deep soft gravel all the way and I got completely knackered, I’d give it another go though if you like. I’ve had a bit of a look at the Waipara river and would like to have a better look around there.

I don’t mind the bush bashing, and the mud. Tell ya mate with the DR to stick some clear plastic on his bike to protect it from scratches, I did that to my tank within a week of getting the bike. The stock tyres on the DR are great on the road, but the knobblies made a huge difference off road and still work well enough on the road that I kept up with a Ducati (don’t know what model) and a VTR1000 at 120-130kph from Otira to Kumara last weekend. Gotta watch it in the wet though.

Most of my mates ride road bikes still and one has a KLR650, but he doesn’t come out for weekend rides much, so I mostly go and play in the dirt by myself. This means I have to be a bit cautious where I venture to as there’s no one around to lend a hand to drag the bike out if I get in the shit. I’d feel more confident with others about. The wankers in the 4WD’s have ruined some of the tracks at the Waimak – I reckon you could lose a bike in some of the holes they’ve made.

My mate on the KLR and I are going to do the Lees valley loop in a few weeks. Going to sort out the date for it this week – interested ? We also want to get up to Lake Sumner sometime too – haven’t done that for a few years.

I’d be interested in the Canterbury Yamaha adventure ride too depending on when, where and how much. Some of those rides cost an arm and a leg.

How about a ride on Monday then? I’ve some stuff on in the morning but can meet you somewhere at 1100. What part of town are you in? I’m in Parklands.

laRIKin
4th February 2006, 14:16
You guys weren’t riding from Lyttleton to Gov Bay on Thurs at around 8.10pm were you? I was heading towards Lyttleton at the end of the ride I described above and saw a KLX400 go past followed by what could have been a KTM and a blue DR – I was a bit busy in the twisties to get a good look.

No that was not us, but I think I may know how is was.

Yeah, sure I’d be keen to come out with you guys. I’ve done that loop round the Waimak a few times now, normally start at Coutts Island up to the gorge and back down the North side. It’s a fun day ride. The Ashley’s got some good areas to have a play in. In theory you can ride the Eyre riverbed all the way from the Waimak to Oxford, I had a go some time ago but bailed out part way. It was deep soft gravel all the way and I got completely knackered, I’d give it another go though if you like. I’ve had a bit of a look at the Waipara river and would like to have a better look around there.

We were just doing that, the day that, you thought that you may have seen us up on the port hills.(as clear as mud that was)
We stopped in at the Oxford tea rooms is all our dirt gear and had coffee and a nice muffin or two.
You should have seen the looks.
We managed to up staged the HD boys.
The last part of the Eyre River is the Eyre Diversion.
It was fenced off, but we used the gates and got though any way.

I was talking to a Ranger today and he said that you may or may not be allowed on the diversion part.
Because it not the true river bed.

I venture to as there’s no one around to lend a hand to drag the bike out if I get in the shit. I’d feel more confident with others about. The wankers in the 4WD’s have ruined some of the tracks at the Waimak – I reckon you could lose a bike in some of the holes they’ve made.

I know what you mean.
Some of the bog holes are real deep.

My mate on the KLR and I are going to do the Lees valley loop in a few weeks. Going to sort out the date for it this week – interested ? We also want to get up to Lake Sumner sometime too – haven’t done that for a few years.

I have done Lees valley before and I know that two of my mates would be keen to do it as well.
One has not done it before and has asked to do it.
The other has and has gone up the river bed to some where.
Did you know that you can ride on some grassy paper roads?

I’d be interested in the Canterbury Yamaha adventure ride too depending on when, where and how much. Some of those rides cost an arm and a leg.

It costs $25 and you get a route map, so you will need a click clack box for the route map.
And you ride at your own pace and there is some diversions for the bigger bikes.
As it sounds like there will be a lot of bigger BMWs etc.

How about a ride on Monday then? I’ve some stuff on in the morning but can meet you somewhere at 1100. What part of town are you in? I’m in Parklands.

I'm near East Gate.
And I'm busy in the morning as well.
Should be free about 11:00 as I have to be some where at 10:00.
So I will/may have to gear up or go there in my gear.:laugh:
Will ring my mate to find out what he is up to and get back to you.

far queue
4th February 2006, 14:39
And I'm busy in the morning as well.
Should be free about 11:00 as I have to be some where at 10:00.
So I will/may have to gear up or go there in my gear.:laugh:
Will ring my mate to find out what he is up to and get back to you.

That'll be good. I've just been out and put the smaller front sprocket on, so I'm all set for a good play :2thumbsup

I wouldn't mind a look at that XT225 you mentioned too. I know someone who's interested in something like that as a first bike.

Sniper
4th February 2006, 16:11
Don't let bren touch your bike mate

far queue
4th February 2006, 16:25
mmmmm DR650, gizza go!!! :msn-wink:
Ummmmmm, what have you got to offer for me to have a play on :wait:

Don't let bren touch your bike mate
Do tell :psst:

Bren_chch
4th February 2006, 17:16
Ummmmmm, what have you got to offer for me to have a play on :wait:

Do tell :psst:

A cbr900 and dont listen to sniper he dont even kow what day it is half the time.... u know, crack problem!

Sniper
4th February 2006, 17:18
I been clean off the crack for 2 months now, lol.

Bren, you and I have to go for another ride soon.

Bren_chch
4th February 2006, 17:23
I been clean off the crack for 2 months now, lol.

Bren, you and I have to go for another ride soon.

u r all talk.. u never turn up! :oi-grr: but maybe tomorrow?

Sniper
4th February 2006, 17:27
Sounds good. I know, Im a bit of an arse turning up to rides. I should make a better effort. I'll chat to the missus tonight and send ya a pm.

laRIKin
4th February 2006, 17:37
OK it on for Monday about 11:30, hopefully not much later than that.:whocares:

We are going up the North side as my mate is on call and lives on that side of the river, so he can get home quickly.
We will meet you (and any one else) across from the boat ramp at the Marshland Rd bridge at that time, unless the weather is real shitty.

Because I/we do not know what or how you ride or what gear you carry.
Humour me please and bring something to drink (water) and something to eat (chocolate, beef jerky, wheat bar or lollies).
And a spark plug and spanner. (please)
I/we carry tubes pumps tools etc and probably would not have a plug and maybe not a spanner for your bike.

You sound like you may do this anyway, but we have had more than one trip stuffed because of a spark plug on both 2 and 4 strokes and one guy will not learn (and he's a mechanic and knows better than us because HIS bike IS race prepped).:brick:

far queue
4th February 2006, 18:52
I carry a good tool kit with me (not the crappy one that comes stock) although I don’t have a spare plug, as I’ve never had a problem there before, and the bike is fitted with 2 plugs, so not likely they’d both crap out together. Mind you they are due for replacement in around 2000km, so I’ll see if I can get a couple of spares tomorrow, but don’t hold your breath as there wont be bike shops open, and I don’t know if Repco etc stock the right ones. The bike is fitted with heavy duty tubes and I’m not too aggressive so don’t normally carry spare tubes, although I can if it would make you happy.

I always carry a water bladder, food, map of the area I’m going to, compass and so on … and of course bog paper:moon:

What’s your plan after going up the North side? Oxford’s only about 10km from the gorge if you want to head there and go back down the Eyre river, but we can decide on the day. I’ll give my mate with the KLR a call, but I don’t think he’ll make it. Weather forecast for Monday is early cloud, then fine with north easterlies, 18deg. See ya by the boat ramp on Monday at 1130 … and anyone else.

Oh, and what’s your mate riding? DR or KLX?

laRIKin
4th February 2006, 20:37
What’s your plan after going up the North side? Oxford’s only about 10km from the gorge if you want to head there and go back down the Eyre river,Oh, ..............
and what’s your mate riding? DR or KLX?

Sounds like a plan that we like.
Mates going to be on a KLX 400 and the other mate (DR 650) is working.
But both are interested in the Lee valley run.

If you want to talk to the owner of the XT225 that's for sale.
Ring 03 3499860 and ask for Kevin.

Sorry if I sound anal about the plug.
But I have spent hours towing bikes out of the bush, because of a spark plug.
It doesn't often happen, but it can happen with this crap gas we have now.
So if you can get a spare plug easily great, if not, do not worry about it.

Kickaha
5th February 2006, 08:15
We are going to check out Ashley and the Eyre river a bit more.
Lemans

There is some good riding along the Ashley either up or downstream from Rangiora, but you can knock it off in about an hour or so, there are also restrictions on what months you are allowed on the riverbed itself due to some rare nesting bird

I would suggest doing the Ashley it would be best to start down the Waikuku beach end, with most of the tracks on the South side

laRIKin
5th February 2006, 09:43
I would suggest doing the Ashley it would be best to start down the Waikuku beach end, with most of the tracks on the South side

Thanks for that info mate.
We should meet up with you one day.
That is when you drag out the IT and you could show us some of the tracks.

TygerTung
5th February 2006, 13:52
I am keen for a ride around the hills like you have posted the pictures off, I can go down the gravel roads and tracks if they're not too rough as it's a 78 CG110/125 so it's pretty good off road, just don't like the big rocks as they crack my crankcase and stuff like that.

far queue
5th February 2006, 14:11
I am keen for a ride around the hills like you have posted the pictures off, I can go down the gravel roads and tracks if they're not too rough as it's a 78 CG110/125 so it's pretty good off road, just don't like the big rocks as they crack my crankcase and stuff like that.

The track to the wind turbine is a dirt road in good condition, any road bike would do it no trouble. It's about 2k long. There's a chain across the road about 1.5km in which you'd be able to ride around no trouble, but may stop the bigger/less adventurous road bikes. There's a locked gate at the end leaving you with about a 2-300m walk to the turbine. There's no signs saying keep out, no trespassing or anything like that, so I figure it's OK to go have look.

I'm keen to get out for a road ride, off road ride, dual sport ride - whatever with the other Chch KB'ers.

May be we can arange a ride after work sometime this week? I'm free Tues/Thurs.

Kickaha
5th February 2006, 16:36
That is when you drag out the IT and you could show us some of the tracks.

that would mean I'd have to fix it first, might look at that in the next month or two, I'm a lot better at breaking them than fixing them

Bren_chch
5th February 2006, 16:48
man u been saying u gana fix that for ages lol! hurry up i want to use this old RM!

:ar15:

laRIKin
5th February 2006, 17:25
that would mean I'd have to fix it first, might look at that in the next month or two, I'm a lot better at breaking them than fixing them

Pull finger man.
Toys are no good when they are broken.
And them you can trash it and your body again. :Pokey:

PS:What's wrong with the beast? (can I help out)

Bren_chch
5th February 2006, 17:36

It had to carry around a PIE-MAN, thats whats wrong with it! :bleh:

Kickaha
5th February 2006, 21:16
It had to carry around a PIE-MAN, thats whats wrong with it! :bleh:

You can talk you fat bastard, the RM will have to be well modified to carry your lard arse around :yes: :finger:

Pull finger man.
Toys are no good when they are broken.
And them you can trash it and your body again. :Pokey:

Needs the pulsar coil rewound, got the addy to send it to, might get around to it this month, rest of the bike really needs a rebuild to :lol:

Bren_chch
5th February 2006, 21:25
You can talk you fat bastard, the RM will have to be well modified to carry your lard arse around

yeah we'll see how modified it needs to be when i'm blasting past ur flabby 92kg arse :shake:

laRIKin
6th February 2006, 07:05
Needs the pulsar coil rewound, got the addy to send it to, might get around to it this month, rest of the bike really needs a rebuild to :lol:

I may know where there is one, if I can find the guy I will ask if he has a spare one.
His is a disc front model? the last of the 200's I think.
He has had his since new and use to race it. And likes to collect bits.
What year is yours?

Kickaha
6th February 2006, 09:13
I may know where there is one, if I can find the guy I will ask if he has a spare one.
His is a disc front model? the last of the 200's I think.
He has had his since new and use to race it. And likes to collect bits.
What year is yours?

Yeah the disc braked IT200 was the last of the IT200

Mine is 1982 but apart from the front end the bikes are all the same anyway, I originally had a drum front but after a couple of rides I put a KDX200 disc front end into it

list of things to do

Get Pulsar Coil Rewound
Rebuild rear shock
Redo all rear suspension linkages (already got most of the bits)
New rear Guard
Rebuild rear wheel (spokes are loose and got a wider rim for it)
Rejet it (slightly to rich at the moment)
New Handelbars
Replace base gasket

And then go and Kick Brens arse :finger:

laRIKin
6th February 2006, 20:17
list of things to do

Get Pulsar Coil Rewound
Rebuild rear shock
Redo all rear suspension linkages (already got most of the bits)
New rear Guard
Rebuild rear wheel (spokes are loose and got a wider rim for it)
Rejet it (slightly to rich at the moment)
New Handelbars
Replace base gasket

Not really a 5 minute job is it?
I'll ask about the coil.

laRIKin
6th February 2006, 20:53
This is a funny place to put pics of your ride but this is where we talked about the ride so here it is anyway.

It was great to meet up with Far Queue and have a ride with him.
I first of many I would say.

Well we had a good ride today.
A couple of spills were had and my mate had a good one at the end.
Which means he has a sore shoulder now.
I was run low on petrol at the end.
I pulled in to the service station and put 10.94 Litres in a 11 Litre tank.:gob:
The motor was hunting and well the motor died as I pulled up.

So heres the only two photos taken as we were on a mission :scooter:

far queue
7th February 2006, 13:04
Good to you meet you and Aaron too and really enjoyed the ride.

I had to pick it up from my usual off road pace to keep up with you guys, but enjoyed the challenge. It was strenuous work - I sucked the last of the water out of the bladder I was carrying as I got off the bike at home and was soaked in sweat. It was the ride down the Eyre that was the hard bit in all that deep soft shingle and large stones. I was knackered when I got home and just about everything from the waist up was sore when I got up this morning, but it was great fun and it would be good to do it, or something similar, again. Being pushed improved my confidence as the day went on. By the way, I still hadn’t hit reserve when I got home.

The Lees valley ride will be organised this week. I’ll PM you, and put a new thread up once it’s sorted case anyone else wants to come along.

far queue
7th February 2006, 13:43
... and I'm now on my 3rd bottle of water for the day, and still thirsty - just call me spongebob :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

laRIKin
7th February 2006, 17:16
Well we are glade that you had fun and enjoyed your self.

I have always want a bigger tank ever since I got the bike, I may have to save up or ask Santa.

SDU had TXTed me as she was going to meet us in Oxford. (I missed the TXT):Oops:
I think that she must have liked the muffins and coffee from the day before.

Aaron is very sore after his crash and we are going to firm up the front end as he was bottoming out.
I'm not so much sore but the body in tired.
And the small oil leak was a loose rocker bolt that has a copper washer.:banana:

Here is a pic of the 92 Serow that is for sale.