PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha caught pulling the wool

sAsLEX
3rd February 2006, 09:00
Seems Yams claims of a 17500 rev limit for the new R6 were rubbish

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/01february06_redline.htm

Coyote
3rd February 2006, 09:09
Dry weight and HP readings from the crank, someone was bound to make an outrageous claim on the engines RPM

Disappointing

onearmedbandit
3rd February 2006, 09:17
Saw that on another forum, makes for quite interesting reading. I read somewhere else that out of the 4 main companies from Japan Yamaha has the greatest tendency to under estimate weight figures as well. Apparently they would use a figure that sounded competitive. Makes perfect sense doesn't, know anyone who has weighed their bike 'dry'? IE, no fuel, no oil in the engine, no battery fluid, no brake fluid, no suspension fluid?

imdying
3rd February 2006, 09:18
By FAR the highest reving production bike in memory.... Memory must be a bit flakey then.

/edit: To be fair, the CBR250 isn't exactly mass market :D

White trash
3rd February 2006, 09:22
Well, serves all those homos right for buying a bike called an Arse Sex if you ask me.

onearmedbandit
3rd February 2006, 09:28
LMFAO at White Trash!

imdying, thought exactly the same thing myself.

sAsLEX
3rd February 2006, 09:40

well its one of the more popular bike here and in aus due to our learner laws and there seems to be thousands of the things around!

imdying
3rd February 2006, 10:11
well its one of the more popular bike here and in aus due to our learner laws and there seems to be thousands of the things around!Was in Cycletreads the other day, and they had a few Oz motorcycle trader mags. WOW, pretty much every single CBR250 is painted in some sort of Race Rep paint job. Crazy... must be a cottage industry just doing those :lol:

R6_kid
3rd February 2006, 11:27
i've heard that it puts out squidly fuck below about 10k, effectively its more like a ZX-6RR than A ZX-6R where it is designed for use as a track bike and wont be 'nice' to ride around town unless you like raping the clutch.

k14
3rd February 2006, 11:47
i've heard that it puts out squidly fuck below about 10k, effectively its more like a ZX-6RR than A ZX-6R where it is designed for use as a track bike and wont be 'nice' to ride around town unless you like raping the clutch.
well shouldnt that be expected? it is more than a track oriented bike, it is a race bike that is sold as a road bike so its eligeble for supersport. I also doubt the fact that you will have to "rape" the clutch on it around town. You might on a 125gp bike but won't on a 600 4-stroke.

R6_kid
3rd February 2006, 12:13
haha yeah, thats what i thought when i got told that, if its putting out 130+hp at the crank then unless the gearing is really screwed then it shouldnt be much of a problem.

bugjuice
3rd February 2006, 12:17
i bagged on this ages ago.. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=22888)

d'oh! :stupid:

sAsLEX
3rd February 2006, 12:56
Found this today too:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/01february06_redline.htm

Yeah a few posts further up??

k14
3rd February 2006, 12:59
just what i was thinking

Motu
3rd February 2006, 13:10
out of the 4 main companies from Japan Yamaha has the greatest tendency to under estimate weight figures as well. Apparently they would use a figure that sounded competitive. Makes perfect sense doesn't, know anyone who has weighed their bike 'dry'? IE, no fuel, no oil in the engine, no battery fluid, no brake fluid, no suspension fluid?

My DT230 is supposed to weigh 123kg dry - a couple of weeks ago I stripped it down to a trail bike and then weighed it - 120kg,with half a tank of gas,full of oil and battery installed.Pretty damn close I reckon,considering my tyres and heavy duty tubes weigh more than stock,and I doubt if what I took off would weigh 3kg,the heaviest thing was the glass headlamp.I'd say their dry weight estimate might of been an over estimate.....mind you we are talking a dirt bike here,maybe the dirt folk are more honest?

bugjuice
3rd February 2006, 13:10
edited - ma bad

Shaun
3rd February 2006, 14:55
So the Yam does not rev as hard as they say, it also has less midrange than the 05 GSXR600!

TwoSeven
3rd February 2006, 15:16
My krappisaki is fookin heavy wet and fooking heavy dry - do I care - no :)

It also has a rev limit. I know this because sometimes the dials stop moving - and only half the time do I need to screw the cables back in :)

ManDownUnder
3rd February 2006, 15:19
Makes perfect sense doesn't, know anyone who has weighed their bike 'dry'? IE, no fuel, no oil in the engine, no battery fluid, no brake fluid, no suspension fluid?

'tis a bitter irony...

dry of fluids... full of shit

go figure

FlyingDutchMan
3rd February 2006, 16:27
By FAR the highest reving production bike in memory.... Memory must be a bit flakey then.

The old CBR250 doesn't reach 17,500 either. Its limit is at 17,232.

k14
3rd February 2006, 16:48
The old CBR250 doesn't reach 17,500 either. Its limit is at 17,232.
I believe they increased the rev limit on the mc22 by 1000rpm, I could be wrong though. Have to find one to test it out.