PDA

View Full Version : we've always done it that way

Heather
27th March 2004, 08:10
JUST A QUESTION OF STANDARDS: HORSES' ASSES

Does the statement "we've always done it that way" ring any bells?

The U.S. standard railroad guage (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number.

Why was that gauge used?

Because that's the way they built them in England, and English expatriates built the U.S. Railroads.

Why did the English build them like that?

Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that the gauge they used.

Okay! Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?

Well, if they tried to use other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long-distance roads in England, because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads?

Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (and England) for their legions. The roads have been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads?

Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made in Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing.

The United states standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman chariot. And beaurocracices live forever.

So the next time you are handed a spec and told we have always done it that way and wonder what horse's ass came up with that, you may be exactly right, because the Imperial Roman war chariots were made just wide enough to accomdate the back ends of two war horses.

Now the twist to the story....

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah. The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site.

The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains. The SRBs had to fit thorugh that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses's behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a Horse's ass.

erik
27th March 2004, 08:23
:laugh: Good one!

White trash
27th March 2004, 09:14
Stupid enough to make sense. Amazing!

Oscar
27th March 2004, 10:50
Nice story.
Another urban legend, of course:
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/gauge.htm

Big Dog
27th March 2004, 16:14
Very amusing.
I will add to that that the russians got in late on the whole railway thing (due mainly to the fact that most of the ground is only soft enough to lay track 4 months a year). The extra width on the tracks comes down to the fact that the original reason for railways going ahead in russia had to do with a need to be able to send armoured divisions (not enough money to buy more tanks but big borders, and free labour from prisoners).

These steam powered tanks were built to the width of the door leaving the work shop (which was widened when the door proved too small, due to inaccurate measurement, for the first one). So due to an apprentices illegible handwriting russian tanks are 2 and a bit (can't remember the fraction, 4th form maths was so long ago) inches wider than american equivelants even now, nearly 150 years later. This is because the railway was built for military puposes by the military (or the convicts they over saw). The first tanks had been built before the railway, so it was logical to build the tracks to take the width and weight of the tanks. especially given that the same engineering company was made responsible for building the locomotives as the tsar of the time was unwilling to accept that the english were better than them at anything.

150 years later this means that the russian HT aircraft are marginaly wider and higher bhp to cope with the extra weight and width. And that taking a train to parts of russia wil require a change of train. Both guages can be found in some parts of the old USSR but neither guage will go all the way from gemany to any major city in russia.

All because an apprentice could not read / accurately record his own measurement.

So the next time your boss says "measure twice cut once" have a little chuckle for me.

How are you going to impact world events today?

Lou Girardin
27th March 2004, 17:38
WW 2 Sherman tanks were built to a width that allowed them to be rail transported and to fit more in cargo ships. Which made them lighter and less usable in soft ground than equivalent German models. Which is why Allied High Command calculated on losing 4 Shermans for every dead German Panther.
Tough for the crews. Especially as the Sherman was also known as the Ronson. (Lights every time)
Lou

Jackrat
27th March 2004, 19:53
The rail lines in the western states of Oz are a different gauge to those in the eastern states because,The western states railways were biult by a scotsman and the eastern by an Englishman,neither could agree on the gauge so now you have to change trains when traveling form one side to the other.
Go figure :rolleyes: :brick:

Big Dog
28th March 2004, 18:32
The rail lines in the western states of Oz are a different gauge to those in the eastern states because,The western states railways were biult by a scotsman and the eastern by an Englishman,neither could agree on the gauge so now you have to change trains when traveling form one side to the other.
Not hard to understand they are after all australian, nuf said. :laugh:

Motu
28th March 2004, 18:44
Nice story.
Another urban legend, of course:
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/gauge.htm

So,it's not you,hmmm.

Big Dog
28th March 2004, 18:59

Apparently it makes a difference who you plan to source your engines from as all english and french manufacturers make to one standard, scottish a russian's make to a different standard. With only four major manufacturers at the turn of the century, the yanks would have been having theirs made by a company whose name escapes me at the moment in Liverpool.

Heather
29th March 2004, 15:10
So,it's not you,hmmm.

:Pokey: :bleh: :laugh:

Motu
29th March 2004, 17:22
:Pokey: :bleh: :laugh:

:brick: :bash:

Oscar
29th March 2004, 17:24
:brick: :bash:

Hey Motu - know anyone who wants to buy a good used French car?

pete376403
29th March 2004, 17:38
I'll bite.
Tanks were invented by the British late in WW1, say 1916 or later.
The first Russian railway was the Riga-Dinaburg Railway which opened in 1861
http://www.parovoz.com/history/LDz-history.html

Motu
29th March 2004, 20:43
Hey Motu - know anyone who wants to buy a good used French car?

That's an oxy - moron!

Well,we was looking for a red car,now my girl drives a Nissan March.Is the new one red?

Big Dog
29th March 2004, 21:22
I'll bite.
Tanks were invented by the British late in WW1, say 1916 or later.
The first Russian railway was the Riga-Dinaburg Railway which opened in 1861
http://www.parovoz.com/history/LDz-history.html
I was more referring to steam powered artilliary. I apologise for any mis interpretation.

State of our educational system!

Yeah but the I was never the one to let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

Pick an answer that you like. I was merely passing on a story I first heard 16 years ago.

Oscar
30th March 2004, 08:42
That's an oxy - moron!

Well,we was looking for a red car,now my girl drives a Nissan March.Is the new one red?

Nah, it ain't red.
They call it Cosmic Mica..??
I call it deep purple. This is the very colour:

SPman
30th March 2004, 08:52
Well,we was looking for a red car.........Is the new one red?
Aah - you want a Lada, you do! :o