PDA

View Full Version : New Leather Jacket

Nat
3rd February 2006, 16:10
OK So I bought a new leather jacket. The reason I bought leather rather than textile is that leather supposedly will last forever (or at least a good long while anyway). So is there any trick to this? Do I have to buy leather treatments or something to keep my jacket alive for a very long time? or is it just so tough that it needs no maintanence? Thanks in advance for your help KBers :)

T.W.R
3rd February 2006, 16:33
Sno-seal does the trick, keeps the leather in good condition & gives it a fair bit of weather proofing as well.
My Jacket is going on 20yrs old now & apart from a couple of battle scars is still a good as the day i got it:niceone:

Scouse
3rd February 2006, 16:40
Try jizum its a whole lot cheaper than Sno-seal

MSTRS
3rd February 2006, 16:45
Sno-seal is good, and keeps the leather soft too.
DO NOT USE DUBBIN - it rots stitching (at least if it is cotton)

Nat
3rd February 2006, 16:46
Ok thanks guys. So how often do you use sno-seal like every week? or monthly? or just when it gets a bit grubby? Cheers again,

Highlander
3rd February 2006, 16:49
After reading this thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=21868&highlight=waterproofing ) bfeore Christmas I went and got some of the Nikwax from the Kathmandu shop and have given my jacket one coating so far.

Would be interested to see how often other do their jackets.

MSTRS
3rd February 2006, 16:57
Ok thanks guys. So how often do you use sno-seal? _ like every week? or monthly? or just when it gets a bit grubby? Cheers again,
Depends on use, but 2-3 times a year is probably enough. If you ride in rain a lot, then more often is the way to go.
Use rubber gloves & cheese (mutton) cloth. Get the leather real warm first, rub in the sno-seal, then hang gear up (in the garage, cos it does pong a bit). As the leather cools, the stuff is absorbed & the smell goes away.