PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream

marty
27th March 2004, 18:27
holy shite - just got wireless jestream at home today. don't think i could EVER go back to dial up - it's like the difference between digital and poor mans tv. speed is fantastic - much quicker than 256k burstable that we have at work even. try 1/2 a second for picture downloads on the 'funny' thread!

6Chris6
27th March 2004, 19:08
Been thinkin about doin it aswell. Who have you gone with and How much?
If you don't mind me askin

fpsware
27th March 2004, 19:36
I got sit up with high-speed Internet a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't be bothered going to something so slow as 256K so for an extra thirty dollars a month I get 5Mbit from a local ISP here in Tauranga.:Punk:It rocks!

What?
27th March 2004, 20:13
holy shite - just got wireless jestream at home today. don't think i could EVER go back to dial up - it's like the difference between digital and poor mans tv. speed is fantastic - much quicker than 256k burstable that we have at work even. try 1/2 a second for picture downloads on the 'funny' thread!
Which ISP? Emma Chizzit?
Where I live the phone wires were put up a couple of years prior to the birth of one A.G.Bell, so internet speed is a misnomer...

marty
28th March 2004, 19:53
Been thinkin about doin it aswell. Who have you gone with and How much?
If you don't mind me askin

i went for the xtra home pack - $39/month, 1 gig of d/l, $99 install, got it hard wired into a dedicated point in the office.

i then got silly and fitted a dynalink adsl wireless modem/router, hard wired in the PC, and wirelessed the laptop. cost another $250 hawkesby's (a standard 4-port adsl modem/router is about $250 - this one was $500, including a card for the laptop). cool - now i can browse the net anywhere within about a 50 metre range from the house, can read the on-line ANYTHING in the toilet even!!!!

Motu
28th March 2004, 20:05
I got jetstream at work a few mths ago,great if there are pictures - but it still goes into ''I forgot what I was doing' mode sometimes and needs a kick up the arse.Biggest problem is that I can come to this site anytime,takes no time,just being nosey,it's kinda embarassing.the new computer at home is a hell of a lot faster too - until we fill it up.

wkid_one
28th March 2004, 21:37
Been running Jetstream for the last 24 months - and I couldn't go back to dial up.

Just went on to the new Tele-Con plan - $69.95pm and you get the 256kdn/128kup and an uncapped limit - well worth the investment.

I am typically running it for the website and the business - and it works mint.

Just remember with broadband to run a decent firewall if you are surfing obscure pages as mine as already prevented 1300 'attacks' of various degrees since 9am this morning.

SPman
28th March 2004, 23:24
What firewall you running?

wkid_one
29th March 2004, 07:27
What firewall you running?

McAfee Personal Firewall Plus. Ideally I'd want a hardware firewall - but I can't be arsed with that - software will do.

Slim
29th March 2004, 11:19
... can read the on-line ANYTHING in the toilet even!!!!
Now there's a mental picture I really needed!!! :eek5: :crazy:

Cajun
29th March 2004, 12:22
Which ISP? Emma Chizzit?
Where I live the phone wires were put up a couple of years prior to the birth of one A.G.Bell, so internet speed is a misnomer...

My phone lines were put up about same time of yours What? but thats what ya get wheni just live down the road.

Wenier
29th March 2004, 16:52
yea we got JS its awesome can never go back and were changing our package to the flat rate JS

What?
29th March 2004, 19:51
My phone lines were put up about same time of yours What? but thats what ya get wheni just live down the road.
It does have its pitfalls alright, Cajun. Overall out here beats the hell out of urban life, though.
Got jetstream at work, but accessing fora at work is severely frowned upon. :(

Cajun
30th March 2004, 12:27
It does have its pitfalls alright, Cajun. Overall out here beats the hell out of urban life, though.
Got jetstream at work, but accessing fora at work is severely frowned upon. :(

Yeah pit falls but good thing is one of the best roads around is right out of the drive way the kamais dc:<

i got faster than jetstream at work and i browse at lunch and stuff, but i am also one of the it geeks that does IT so pfft